• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why was Goodra "Gliscor'd" if Ash never filled up all 6 slots?

Shayuin

Banned
Yeah this is what I think, especially the way that episode went, it seemed like the ending had just been changed for Ash to not catch it

More like fans still can't grasp that they were simply wrong about that capture. These conspiracy theories don't even make sense anymore.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I always thought that Goodra was released to give Ash room for a Grass-type, so it bugged me that even with a free spot, Ash didn't get one. Goodra should've just stayed.

I had also assumed at first that Goodra was released to make room for another Pokemon, but then Ash got Noibat while still having an empty slot on his X&Y team, which made me think that Goodra was left at the swamp simply to finish his subplot.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
They made the mistake of evolving a pseudo-legendary too early and didn't know how to avoid being either overpowered or underpowered

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
It wouldn't surprise me if Goodra was ditched for Phantump, though I don't know what could've changed the writer's mind.

I guess that pacing issues could've affected that, tho we don't have any actual proof that Ash was meant to catch the shiny Phantump. But even if he was going to, it's weird that he'd release Goodra to supposedly make room for a new Pokemon when he could've kept Goodra longer and simply sent it away after he caught a new Pokemon. :[

04n70n10

For me is really simple, even without Goodra they had many problems into developing Noibat/Noivern, all Clemont's pokemon, etc. Image if Goodra was still around at the group.
And writers planned all (the depardure after Luminose gym match, etc) from the start.

Last edited:

Shayuin

Banned
For me is really simple, even without Goodra they had many problems into developing Noibat/Noivern, all Clemont's pokemon, etc. Image if Goodra was still around at the group.
And writers planned all (the depardure after Luminose gym match, etc) from the start.

But I don't see how Goodra staying with Ash would have hindered any of that other stuff?

04n70n10

But I don't see how Goodra staying with Ash would have hindered any of that other stuff?
Like... i already said, simple as that, It was done for develop/give some spotlight even for the other mons in general, for the gym matches, etc and even with that it was not simple, see for example noibat/noivern.

It's like, more or less with all the differences, Charizard in Jotho. Too powerful and they have (""desperately"") to develop the jotho mons.

That doesn't make much sense since, if developing those other Pokemon fully and giving them more screen-time was the writers' priority when deciding to ditch Goodra, then they wouldn't have jumped on the "let's shove Greninja down everyone's throats for the entirety of XYZ" bandwagon almost immediately after.

04n70n10

That doesn't make much sense since, if developing those other Pokemon fully and giving them more screen-time was the writers' priority when deciding to ditch Goodra, then they wouldn't have jumped on the "let's shove Greninja down everyone's throats for the entirety of XYZ" bandwagon almost immediately after.

LOL, for the frog if i think about for most time in XY as Froakie/Frogadier people (yeah, in this forum) complained for his lack of development/spotlight/screentime, see old threads.

At some point Greninja was the ace of XYZ and it deserves all the good development,like for ALL aces in the past. Goodra was simply planned from the start to be ditched after the luminose gym match in order to develop better the other mons (not only Ash's mons), companions, etc. And even then some "suffered".

It's really simple as that. In the past when Ash had even more mons and more captures like in Unova people complained for the overall and general lack of development and personalities. At least the kalos team was good in general in the end and each mons had at least some screentime, only noibat/noivern deserves something more.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned

The theory is that if Goodra had stuck around with Ash, it would have ended up overshadowing everyone else and causing imbalance, which I used to agree with except that I remembered how even with Goodra gone, many Pokemon in the Kalos cast still got minimal screentime once XYZ began.

nickdt

Guys, PSUEDO is a fan term and doesn't exist in the anime/games. Goodra would have never overshadowed Greninja, Talonflame and Hawlucha, since if it was that OP, it didn't need a lot of battling in the first place to remain strong. But Goodra was arguably his weakest mon at the league.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Guys, PSUEDO is a fan term and doesn't exist in the anime/games. Goodra would have never overshadowed Greninja, Talonflame and Hawlucha, since if it was that OP, it didn't need a lot of battling in the first place to remain strong. But Goodra was arguably his weakest mon at the league.

Not weaker than Noivern at least. Goodra did quite some damage to Alain's Bisharp, which was pretty strong.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Goodra would have never overshadowed Greninja, Talonflame and Hawlucha, since if it was that OP, it didn't need a lot of battling in the first place to remain strong. But Goodra was arguably his weakest mon at the league.

I never saw Talonflame or Hawlucha as being that popular in general compared to Ash's Goodra, which seemed like Ash's most loved Pokemon during X&Y before Ash left him behind. So at the very least, if he had stayed I think he likely would have overshadowed Hawlucha and Talonflame, not cuz he would've needed much battle screentime, but just due to his fan appeal.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
1. They needed to generate immediate hype for Ash v Clemont, so they gave Ash and Clemont two fully-evolved beasts to duke it out.

2. They didn't want Goodra to overshadow the rest of his team, particularly Frogadier/(Ash)-Greninja.

This basically.. No other reasons. Nothing to do with bad writing, or backing out, or whatever. They planned Goodra for the battle vs. Clemont, just like how Clemont suddenly got Luxio and quickly evolved it to Luxray.

And indeed it would've been obvious that despite facing difficulties against Fairies and Ice-types that Goodra's presence on Ash's team alone would've created a weird situation where we would ask why he wouldn't use his powerhouse Pseudo.

I always thought that Goodra was released to give Ash room for a Grass-type, so it bugged me that even with a free spot, Ash didn't get one. Goodra should've just stayed.

Not really, because there was room for a Grass-type even with Goodra on the team.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
This basically.. No other reasons. Nothing to do with bad writing, or backing out, or whatever. They planned Goodra for the battle vs. Clemont, just like how Clemont suddenly got Luxio and quickly evolved it to Luxray.

And indeed it would've been obvious that despite facing difficulties against Fairies and Ice-types that Goodra's presence on Ash's team alone would've created a weird situation where we would ask why he wouldn't use his powerhouse Pseudo.

Not really actually. In fact, the weaknesses to Fairy and Ice were perfectly logical reasons for Ash not to use Goodra in those gyms, making it even less logical for them to make him release it.

Not really, because there was room for a Grass-type even with Goodra on the team.

Almost all of the fandom can agree Ambipom was released to make room for Togekiss, even though "there was room for Togekiss even with Ambipom on the team". Just because a release happens when there's already an empty slot doesn't mean the release wasn't designed to make room for something down the line.

Daizy

I call you honey
I always thought that maybe the writers had planned for Ash to catch more Pokemon in Kalos, so they had Goodra leave to make space but then changed their plans.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I always thought that maybe the writers had planned for Ash to catch more Pokemon in Kalos, so they had Goodra leave to make space but then changed their plans.

That could be a reason for Numelgon's departure I suppose, but part of me feels that the writers wouldn't have changed their original intentions that way. If space was needed for new Pokemon, all they would've had to do was wait until Satoshi actually captured a new Pokemon, instead of leaving Numelgon at the marshland many months in advance.