• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why was Goodra "Gliscor'd" if Ash never filled up all 6 slots?

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
On a related note, why did Ash never get a Grass type in Kalos?

I have to admit that as someone who watches spoiler-free, the first time I watched the Phantump filler near the very end of XY&Z, I thought that Ash was going to catch it. Especially since they taught that Phantump how cool it was to meet other Pokémon outside its own little bubble of a small world it had, I thought it was going to want to travel with them to see more.

But anyway, Grass-type or not, what was the point of leaving Goodra and then leaving that sixth slot open?

RedJirachi

Veteran member
My belief? They ended up with Goomy evolving too early and didn't know how to deal with it while not being broken

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
My belief? They ended up with Goomy evolving too early and didn't know how to deal with it while not being broken

Interesting... somehow I always thought it was the opposite (that they evolved Goomy so quickly specifically because they knew they were going to have to leave it at the wetlands). You may be right though.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Goodra was too strong I guess? Ash didn't need a powerhouse so soon in XY, what with Greninja on his way in XY&Z.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned

I dunno why Goomy's fast evolution would've been an issue however since the writing staff didn't need to have Goodra win every battle he was in. They could've balanced him out and not made him overpowered. ^^;

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan

I just went back and looked at the airdates and found it was even quicker than I remembered. Goodra's entire arc, from its capture to its release, happened over the span of 4 months from January 8 to April 30 2015. To me this signifies there was no "reactionary" time period for them to realize that they had evolved it too early and decide to release it, because it all happened so quickly.

It seems more likely to me, given the tight timeframe of its capture, 2 evolutions, and release, that its entire arc was planned from the moment of its capture onward. This is further supported by the fact that in Goomy's debut episode, Clemont's invention is able to show us Goomy's thoughts which show it being attacked at the wetland, already starting to set up its release 2-part arc.

I still don't know why they planned Goodra's release from the moment of Goomy's capture, unless there was at some point another capture planned after Noibat that they later scrapped.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Clemont's invention is able to show us Goomy's thoughts which show it being attacked at the wetland, already starting to set up its release 2-part arc.

Which makes the shock and denial from fans in general about Goodra's release back then even more strange.

Spyro39

On a related note, why did Ash never get a Grass type in Kalos?

Chespin could've been Ash's Grass type Pokemon, given that it bears a lot of similarities to Oshawott. Had it not chose Clemont to be its trainer, I think it could've been Ash's.

As for not capturing other Grass type Pokemon in Kalos, Pumpkaboo was already with Jessie, and Phantump didn't seem to suit as a member of Ash's team (given that Ash never catches Ghost type Pokemon). Gogoat might've been another potential member of Ash's team, but for some reason, was not. Maybe because since Ash and Alexa both have Noivern, the writers didn't want two characters to have a near similar team.

Bottom line, there just wasn't that many Grass type Pokemon in Kalos, let alone any of them being a part of Ash's team if it wasn't already owned by another trainer.

MattySadler

Same reason he spent most of the Kanto series with five Pokemon on hand, I guess.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
(given that Ash never catches Ghost type Pokemon)

Yeah, but come on, that's not really a reason, right? I mean Ash had never even evolved a Dragon Pokémon before Gen VI, and then he fully evolved 2? At some point, Ash is going to have a Pokémon of every type, including Ghost, so this could have been the first one. Heck, if Rowlet fully evolves it'll be Ghost. Phantump (and Pumpkaboo, if Jessie hadn't caught it) being Ghost cannot be a reason for Ash not to have gotten it in Kalos.

Same reason he spent most of the Kanto series with five Pokemon on hand, I guess.

I actually forgot about that because it's been so long since I rewatched Kanto. Why did he do that again? I can't remember? Also, did that have something to do with his Ritchie loss?? Did he only have five Pokémon on him at the time, and if he had had 6 he wouldn't have had to use Charizard?

DankOverlord

Komodo Dragons Rule!
To generate hype around its return to gather more views for the League

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
If Goodra had been average, then fans would have just complained that Ash's 1st fully evolved "pseudo Legendary" wasn't impressive.

That's true I suppose, but to me personally Goodra being average would've been better than him being a 'powerhouse' and it might've kept him on Ash's team longer. Then again, I guess since we knew Goomy's backstory right when we met him, his eventual release was kind of inevitable either way. :[

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
Because the writers of this show make stuff up as they go instead of having a basic plan from start to end. My guess is that either Ash was supposed to catch a Phantump to fill in the sixth slot, or they were planning to create a more in-depth subplot after Goodra's return to show how much it has grown (or how much it has become out of shape). In both cases, time was their enemy, which might be unavoidable since I don't know when the writers know when they need to end the current season.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
No, he was not "Gliscor'd", Goodra is NOT at Oak's for one. And Ash didn't get a replacement for his sixth. Leaving Goodra behind in the first place was piss poor writing. They just wanted him gone so Ash wouldn't have an OP Dragon to deal with the last stuff on his journey.
And yes, it felt rather obvious Phantump was meant to be a capture. Why not just debut Phantump with Trevenant back in the early half of the series? And why take so long to debut a single simple Pokemon? The way the episode went on, it just felt like they changed a bit so Phantump didn't go with Ash.

MattySadler

I actually forgot about that because it's been so long since I rewatched Kanto. Why did he do that again? I can't remember? Also, did that have something to do with his Ritchie loss?? Did he only have five Pokémon on him at the time, and if he had had 6 he wouldn't have had to use Charizard?

Which is? Even back then, his team decisions made no sense, though at least we can say that his rookie status was to blame.

Forgive me as my memory is a little sketchy, but if I remember rightly... he had Pikachu and obtained Caterpie, which quickly evolved into Metapod and then Butterfree, Pidgeotto, Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle, making up his original six. While he had these six on hand, he caught Krabby, which went straight to Professor Oak. Butterfree was very briefly traded for a Raticate, before trading back, and then departed permanently, being replaced by Primeape, which also departed shortly after, leaving him with five. Obviously he could've "withdrawn" Krabby at this point but he never did, and I can't remember this point ever actually being addressed. He then caught Muk, which briefly took up the sixth spot, but it was also "Oak'd" because it smelt so bad and, somehow, could be smelt from inside the Poke Ball. Ash only kept five Pokemon on hand from here on in, despite Krabby and Muk being sat at Oak's, and his only other captures were the 30 Tauros, which went straight to Oak's.

The reason for this, obviously, falls at the feet of the writers. Personally, I assumed that they were finding it hard enough to equally share out the screen time between Ash's five Pokemon on hand, without adding another. The focus was very much on Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Char-mander-meleon-izard and Squirtle, with Pidgetto more of a backseat. This is just what I assume and is in no way factually accurate, but I struggle to see how they could've included another character on hand for Ash, or created a good character that wasn't comparatively neglected! In-universe, this all means nothing, but I can't recall any reason being given.

Again, with Ash's battle with Ritchie, I can't really remember the issue of Ash not having many Pokemon being bought up specifically. All I can remember is Ash saying that Pidgeotto was exhausted having flown a Team Rocket balloon back to Indigo Plateau.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
No, he was not "Gliscor'd", Goodra is NOT at Oak's for one. And Ash didn't get a replacement for his sixth. Leaving Goodra behind in the first place was piss poor writing. They just wanted him gone so Ash wouldn't have an OP Dragon to deal with the last stuff on his journey.
And yes, it felt rather obvious Phantump was meant to be a capture. Why not just debut Phantump with Trevenant back in the early half of the series? And why take so long to debut a single simple Pokemon? The way the episode went on, it just felt like they changed a bit so Phantump didn't go with Ash.

By Gliscor'd, I just meant that it was left somewhere in-region (not Oaked during the saga itself) until the League. I agree that post-League they experienced different paths.

I'm glad someone else besides me also saw the Phantump episode in the same way that it really seemed it was meant to be a capture episode. Maybe they originally wanted to "Aipom" Phantump, but then for whatever reason found out Ash can only bring Pikachu to Alola.

And actually, I think it's more likely Goodra was sent to the wetlands to make room for another Pokémon, such as the Phantump we both theorize, than just because it was an OP Dragon.

Navin

MALDREAD
1. They needed to generate immediate hype for Ash v Clemont, so they gave Ash and Clemont two fully-evolved beasts to duke it out.

2. They didn't want Goodra to overshadow the rest of his team, particularly Frogadier/(Ash)-Greninja.