• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why was Iris accused of not being a true friend to Ash?

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Personally I thought it was satire on how people typically go to a Gym match expecting one Pokémon with a type advantage to sweep the entire Gym (Palpitoad) and not having any other strategy.
Those people very usually bring other Pokemon anyway.

Unless it was a Nuzlocke gone wrong.

Last edited:

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I see BW as being similar to what DC Comics tried with the New 52. As in, they wanted a "relaunch" to attract/be acessible to new viewers while keeping continuity even if in a weird way.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
While I totally agree continuity of Ash's personality has been wonky
I still think it can fit in one timeline consistently, albeit with a lot of guessing and assuming rather then something concrete the anime gave us
After DP and him going all out with every Mon he took a break at Pallet town (he even said during end of DP he didn't know what he was going to do next and after his mons performance at the league he wants to rest in pallet town)
So when he goes to vacation in Unova he's a bit rusty, coupled with Zekrom resetting Pikachu
(Very loose explaination ik but it can still fit)
I'd argue BW - XY Ash had a perfect transition, BWs end perfectly sets up Ash being disappointed at his performance and aiming to do much better and be motivated to win, directly leading to XY.
After his fierce battle with Alain in the Kalos league and all the shenanigans, and reaching so close to the league and having such a great battle he doesn't even feel sad he lost, Ash decides to take it chill and relaxes, going to Alola for a vacation now. Deciding to approach things in a new way he tackles this region differently, living there and interacting with its culture while still being a very competent trainer.
And the transition to SM - JN ash is perfect as well
For me OS - JN is the same Ash, in some series he was a bit boring for some people, in some more interesting or charming but overall it's still the same Ash

Ryker101

Tbh I haven’t seen BW since it ended so I’m still left with my initial impressions of it. I didn’t like Iris’ character early on, compared to the games. But I was more upset with Ash being regressed himself. It’s not necessarily that he’s being called out for doing dumb stuff, but that he’s doing this in the first place. Like basic stuff like not weakening pokemon before catching them iirc. He’s well past this. That along with his loss to Trip really soured the series and its characters to me initially and I wasn’t a huge fan of Iris until her return recently.

But come on, it’s ridiculous to claim that they’re ‘not tue friends’. Almost as bad as claiming his new friend is a psychopath/poacher/thief/bully or whatever the trending term is nowadays.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
During the BW series and after Iris was accused of things like bullying Ash and not being a true friend. Fans believe they had the weakest bond out of all his main traveling companions and I’m curious why.
They hate seeing someone in the canon call him out for his bs that they themselves would complain about but when she voice the same complaints, that’s when they wanna defend Ash or act like fans who care about him.
Iris “bullied” Ash so much that Ash had no choice but to keep her around since he’s so intimidated by her. This is just one of the reasons to dislike Iris as a character for some people.

Sham

The Guardian of War
They hate seeing someone in the canon call him out for his bs that they themselves would complain about but when she voice the same complaints, that’s when they wanna defend Ash or act like fans who care about him.
Iris “bullied” Ash so much that Ash had no choice but to keep her around since he’s so intimidated by her. This is just one of the reasons to dislike Iris as a character for some people.
And then love her predecessor for almost never finding fault in him and seeing him as a hero and inspiration. It’s self projection onto Ash and it’s giving mental illness vibes.

ChiVulpix

Pokémon master
Yep. She was part of the reason why he won the Virbank Gym, wanted to explicitly battle him to get into Ultra Class since she as a Champion considered him worthy and was one of the first people who volunteered to show him around Unova. She is a great friend.

Yep it's not by chance people never have the same smoke for Gary and Misty despite their jabs in theory being way more malicious than Iris' which is interesting.
Well, that's nostalgia goggles and Gen 1 favoritism at high levels.