• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why was Iris accused of not being a true friend to Ash?

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I have always thought they had an interesting dynamic to them. Their friendship was sort of like the one with Misty with the occasional bickering but still had sense of a true connection. Cilian was the one in the group whose friendship seemed the weakest in my own opinion. Iris may have called Ash “a little kid” several times but that doesn’t mean that she wasn’t his friend. Misty had said similar things to Ash during the OS and she even nagged him constantly after the first episode about her bike until Togepi hatched and preoccupied her mind with needing to constantly care for the baby Pokémon. My main issue was that Iris didn’t really seem to do much with training Axew to become stronger and get closer to evolving into a Haxorus.

RafaSceptile

Yes lol.

Because fans self insert themselves into Ash and felt like it was a personal attack against them whenever she called Ash a kid even though they criticize Ash during BW.

(Just answering the thread from what I've seen while on this forum, just saying)
The worst part is that Iris was saying the truth, Ash is literally a kid.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Some people took Iris's teasing too seriously I suppose. I do remember complaints about her catchphrase very early in BW, although I always felt that her beating Satoshi at the first Don George tournament was the tipping point where criticism of her character began to reach a fever pitch. Then there was her capture of Kairyu which opened up the floodgates permanently.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I see her as a Ash's friend which he had the least bond with. For me it seems like Ash liked her more and she was less emotional about him.
In her departure episode during BW's ending she was just : " bye". No sentimentals....
In her recent return episode, she just battled Ash. What about some bonding scenes? Talking about the past? having fun together?

NPT

Just a member
"WHAT A KID! YOU'RE SUCH A KID! KID KID KID KID BWAHAAHAHA!!!"

Yeah, she's a greeeeat friend to have.

not.

EchoChamber said:
"No!!! you're just self-inserting!!! Iris's constant mockery is just harmless teasing!!!! It's real friendship!!!"

Yeah, riiiiiiight.

Last edited:

Sham

The Guardian of War
"WHAT A KID! YOU'RE SUCH A KID! KID KID KID KID BWAHAAHAHA!!!"

Yeah, she's a greeeeat friend to have.

not.
Yep. She was part of the reason why he won the Virbank Gym, wanted to explicitly battle him to get into Ultra Class since she as a Champion considered him worthy and was one of the first people who volunteered to show him around Unova. She is a great friend.

People misinterpreted her attitude as her being malicious to Ash when in reality she was just taking innocent jabs at him which is what Gary did too but you hardly see anyone get up in arms over that.
Yep it's not by chance people never have the same smoke for Gary and Misty despite their jabs in theory being way more malicious than Iris' which is interesting.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
People misinterpreted her attitude as her being malicious to Ash when in reality she was just taking innocent jabs at him which is what Gary did too but you hardly see anyone get up in arms over that.
But Gary didn't travel with Ash though. Could you imagine how fans would react if he was traveling with Ash during the whole series constantly making fun of the latter?

Oh yeah, Iris is Ash's friend alright. Whether she's Ash true friend is subjective because Ash didn't mention who was his "true" friend unless you count Pikachu as one.

Sham

The Guardian of War
But Gary didn't travel with Ash though. Could you imagine how fans would react if he was traveling with Ash during the whole series constantly making fun of the latter?

Oh yeah, Iris is Ash's friend alright. Whether she's Ash true friend is subjective because Ash didn't mention who was his "true" friend unless you count Pikachu as one.
But Misty did? Are y'all also missing the numerous episode where Ash clapped back at Iris and insulted her as well or is it just selective memory?

Zero1999

Simple, BW was not a very likeable season, Iris added fuel to the fire thinking Ash was a total nobody and the "reset" didn't help much with how Ash was portrayed as a noob, i didn't like her on that season but in JN she seemed to calm down a bit.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
People are incapable of understanding that just like how human beings are varied, so are their friendships with each other. Iris doesn't spend every waking moment of her life kissing the ground Ash walks on, so that means she's abusive. Because friends never tease each other! No siree!

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
But Misty did? Are y'all also missing the numerous episode where Ash clapped back at Iris and insulted her as well or is it just selective memory?
Yeah Misty did too and she got hated as well for her attitude and her fans got mocked as "Genwunners".

I didn't watch much of BW but I do know they do have their moments despite their tauntings at each other.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Zero1999 said:
Simple, BW was not a very likeable season, Iris added fuel to the fire thinking Ash was a total nobody and the "reset" didn't help much with how Ash was portrayed as a noob, i didn't like her on that season but in JN she seemed to calm down a bit.
I don't think she made the mistake of assuming that he was a "nobody". The majority of her comments about Satoshi being a kid were mostly directed at him whenever he made a rookie mistake, which was often in BW. If we're going to blame anyone for Satoshi being a badly written character in Isshu, then the writers should take the blame, not Iris.

Zero1999

I don't think she made the mistake of assuming that he was a "nobody". The majority of her comments about Satoshi being a kid were mostly directed at him whenever he made a rookie mistake, which was often in BW. If we're going to blame anyone for Satoshi being a badly written character in Isshu, then the writers should take the blame, not Iris.
Indeed, what i mostly meant was the writting in BW was atrocious, the combination of the things i said above culminated in BW being hated, i still remember how that season was really hated when it came out. Iris wasn't really well received due to people saying she pointed out the mistakes Ash made when she did too made mistakes and occasionally felt she too was a rookie and didn't went far on her goal during the BW era to become a Dragon master or something like that.

Her bond with Ash just doesn't seem strong unlike any of his past companions