• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why'd people stop playing???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phosphate said:
IMO, Pokemon is losing popularity in general because the rtue Pokemon fans have gotten old and were fans in the past because Pokemon was new and different. Now it is ten years old and fans like me are in their mid teens and have lost interest. I still play and collect, but many of my friends stopped. Recently, kids have brought the old Pokemon games-R/B/Y/G/S/C to school because a senior brought it in. However, I am one of a few kids to own the newer FR/LG/E games. The trading card game has always had a slightly lesser popularity range because it may be fun, however, it isn't the best of games. Yu-Gi-Oh! becamse popular because it is a very unique card game and has many ways to better a player because of all of the dofferent strategies. Both has lost some popularity because they are getting old and has grown too big. Yu-Gi-Oh! must has almost 20 booster pack sets and Pokemon has a lot more.

Finally! Someone has clarified!

Also, may I add, that it may seem like there are still a lot of Pokemon fans is because the main people in your lives are still Pokemon fans? This is the sad truth: the Pokemon fans of old are now gone, with no descendants to come.

mr robato

Rainbow Trainer
well i hope that diamond and pearl will be a hit causing more people to start playing the TCG, i'm sure the games will attract a lot of attention towards pokemon

Espionage

This was a triumph.
Noo, this makes me want to start collecting them again..

But yeah, the main reason for me stopping to play was, that everyone else stopped playing, for whatever reason. My cousin used to collect and play with them, but lost interest. It's not half as fun to just collect them myself with nobody to trade or play with. And I have other things to spend my money on nowadays.

Maybe I should just drag myself to the nearest League to see what it has to offer, I've been to there once in my life and that was, uh, about six years ago..

Naetoru & Stitch

Sending out an S.O.S
I wish they would sell another Video Game version

Espionage

This was a triumph.
Darth-Vader said:
I wish they would sell another Video Game version

Me too, though I don't think it would be worth publishing. I loved the first game, but I sold my copy out of spite ;_;

Well, the point of the card game needs to change in a way that people will want to play it.

Cacophony

Well, the game definitely crashed during the end of Wizards' reign with the e-sets, but from what I've seen the TCG has actually been gaining a lot of steam since then. During my brief return to the game between August 2004 and August 2005, I noticed that there were more people coming to League all the time. Those of you who are still interested and live close to a League may want to give it a try. Be warned though; if you haven't been serious about the game and lack a good deck and/or practice, prepare to be thrashed by the more competitive types.

I myself quit the game again due to the same problems that plague every TCG: the cost of cards (especially good singles) and the way they phase out old sets. Yes, it may keep the metagame fresh, but it's still a scam in my eyes. I spent a whole year building and improving my own little rogue deck to perfection through trading alone, but by the time it could reasonably compete with the top-tier powerhouses in sanctioned events, half my cards were declared obsolete. I didn't have the income to justify starting over, so I was out of there...

pharaohguy530

The one and only.
I kinda know why I stopped and most of my friends too. As we got older and some people formed an in crowd, stuff like that, they said that pokemon card games were stupid and uncool. Anyone who liked it would be an outcast, left all alone. We all gave up on it, since we didn't want to be an outcast. That is part of the reasons why many people stopped liking the game.

Mangekyo Sharingan

arent they lovely?
well the reason i stoped was kinda the same reason as pHaroeguy...well i loved the concept (but reallly didnt know how to play so i just collected but a few of my pals who arent my pals now since i adore fire red and leaf green so much said that pokemon tcg are for nerds and geeks if you play im not talking to you and i was fairly new to maryland and i was 6 so i didnt want them to stop being my friend so i sold my cards and never looked at the past but no one can stop me from playing the game for Gba

Pokemon Master

Coral Eye Trainer
Esperante said:
Probably because you didn't pay as much attention to the game when yu actually played it. Finding a good card and everyone making a deck out of it is how the game has been since it was created. Theres just as many people who use cards they like, too. ...But if you like using bad cards, your going to lose. >_>;
You just don't understand what it was like back then. Almost everyone at my league was using like Dark Feraligatr and Shining Tyranitar (when they were legal), and did I use them? No, I used Espeon and Crobat. What happened? I normally ended up wiping the floor with my opponent. It's just a lot different than what it use to be. And the cards have started costing so much now. I just don't have the money to pay for Pokemon cards anymore.

mecha-man

< Is tha best
I'm going to stop at the end of this season. The cards are to expensive for me.
I'm 21 years old now and I want to get out on my own, this needs funding, so I have to make a few cuts. I will be playing in Regionals South Netherlands and Nationals Netherlands so that's about the last time you'll be able to battle me. Unless I win nationals and get to go to Worlds.

I already have people lining up to take over my cards so don't ask, okay?

Shiloh Phoenix

Super Coordinator
Pokemon Master said:
You just don't understand what it was like back then. Almost everyone at my league was using like Dark Feraligatr and Shining Tyranitar (when they were legal), and did I use them? No, I used Espeon and Crobat. What happened? I normally ended up wiping the floor with my opponent. It's just a lot different than what it use to be. And the cards have started costing so much now. I just don't have the money to pay for Pokemon cards anymore.

Deck: typhlosion liability

record: won 3 city championships, 2 state championships, and at least 1 regional.

cost of pokemon: $12(all rares from premade decks)

cost of trainers: $22

cost of energy: $6

very good tournament winning deck: $40

good decks don't cost much. although anyone playing binder will tell you differently.

edit: mecha man, I know the terrible condition of OP in the Netherlands, I know your PTO, and I can understand why you'd want to quit.

Last edited:

mecha-man

< Is tha best
Shiloh Phoenix said:
edit: mecha man, I know the terrible condition of OP in the Netherlands, I know your PTO, and I can understand why you'd want to quit.
I think the condition of OP isn't that terrible here, I don't have anything against it myself. I truly am quiting just because it costs me to much.

SeanLuigi

Entei's Son
Hmmm....Maybe they think that PCG(Pokemon Card Game)is boring already....Im just a collector but its fun collecting them...Until I lost most o my cards cauz o my cousin (about 3-4 yrs old) played with it...Growlithe...Oh I miss you!

Dan©

Ace Pitcher #57
I stopped playing the TCG game, because like everyone else, I didn't know how to play.. o-0
I just had my parents waste hundreds of dollars for me to marvel at the shineyness of a holographic Dragonite and Charizard.
Fact is, and no offense, the actual base of the card game is rather dumb IMO, ive tried to play, but I don't see the pull in it, like Yugioh had on me

Everyone collects em, about 1/3 of them can play.. simple

E

Ebil Plusle

I have about 126 pkmn cards but i dont play it. i just play the video game and watch the t.v show.(if i played pkmn at school the kids will jump me.not that any one would catch me.but they dont mind yugioh.)

KirbyHamtaro

Paragon of Summoner
i got cards on me still, but a little short. i have 2 cards that was given to me by my teacher. she gave me a celebi card and the zapdos card and my friend gave me the hologram (or halogram either one) snorlax card and articuno card. well i'm not entirely sure if i remember correctly. i don't collect cards anymore. probably it went out of my style when i had some b4 i went to my middle school. i was thinking that i threw'em away.

Status
Not open for further replies.