• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why'd people stop playing???

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkrolickm

Team Rocket Admin
Shiloh Phoenix said:
you guys apparently haven't looked anything up about the TCG, judging by your posts. to the guy in galveston, they just had regional championships last weekend at the houston space center and there was more than 300 people there.
450 actualy:)Any ways i said GALVESTON, plenty of people in texas city, houston, clear lake, woodlands,etc like pokemon, but no one in galveston....

mr robato

Rainbow Trainer
that would have been very fun to have been at the regionals and been playing, but how often do regionals really occur...besides the few leagues nobody really has anyone to play with unless they happen to have a neighbor or something like that

Espionage

This was a triumph.
Okay, so I went to the nearest League today, and I'm back in the business :D

Thanks for making this thread, now I have another moneyhole <3

mr robato

Rainbow Trainer
so you had fun at your league...awesome! just wondering what were the ages in the league?

mr robato

Rainbow Trainer
wow, thats a lot better than i though, i was guessing there would be a lot more younger kids, but i think they're all into the game instead of the TCG

Legendary Raikou

I hope the cards have a comeback someday. Remembering back as a kid when I got my first pokemon cards... so many memories... now look at all the cards we have now! so many!

mr robato

Rainbow Trainer
i just thought of something that would be Awesome!...if the older kids joining the league could use there old cards until the new rules...i know if i went none of the kids would want my old cards because they can't be used...i dunno...give some input if you think its a good or bad idea

Q

questella

I never really got to play it because everyone around where I live has always really hated Pokemon. =(;049;

Yeah, I live in Australia, no one likes pokemon around here but me. And there never has been, or never will be a leauge near me. ==((

At least I have my brother to play with, I guess.

N

Natirasha

I believe that the decline in popularity is due to

a. fall of wizards. The E-series was pitiful after the awesome neo-generation
b. the timing. The E-series' release coincided with Yu-Gi-Oh's release. Put two-and-two together.

Anyways, I bought a pack of EX-Legend Maker yesterday, o I'm going to restart again. But I have to swap between Magic and Pokemon now :/

mr robato

Rainbow Trainer
what happend with wizard, i loved their cards when i played, now nintendos cards sound expensive, few in the packs, and everyone can make amazing decks really easily...?

I LOVED to play the TCG, I was the only girl who regulary went to our leauge and kicked all the boys butt, we all had so much fun on Saturdays. ^__^

The sad thing was I never quite, I was forced to because every single person in my leauge converted to Yu-gi-oh. it happend in a matter of weeks.. first one person came in and started bashing pokemon (note the same one who set up his deck and beat me in the last round of a Tourny.. but that storys for another day - -; ) Then the next week half of the league was Yugioh.. I came back the next week and I was the ONLY one with pokemon cards, I was also shoved into the corner because their where so many people there.. @ @;

That was one of the worst days of my life. x.x; If I had the guts I'd try and make a new leauge around here, but unfortunatly I don't know the rules by heart like I use to, and I know their constantly changing, and to top it off I haven't boughten a pack of cards since the team rocket returns one came out.. and when I did the lady at the cash register asked me why I was wasting my money.. -_-;

Pokemon isn't very fan friendly around here. I'd never want to live in a big city, but if I had to being near a leauge would be a definally be a perk.

Astinus

I, too, just-well, not just, Saturday morning-went to my new local League. It was great, because I met up with a friend from the old League I went to. Which ended due to "holidays" and to Yu-Gi-Oh... ;-;

To answer the question the ages ran from 9-26. The 26 year old was my brother. A lot of the players there were older, in their teens. Plus, we are going to have the newspaper there to try and bring in more players.

I'm using the older cards for now, because I don't have enough of the newer ones, due to a now-ended lack of interest. But I did win a game with a pre-made deck, straight from the box. <<;

I feel your pain, Hotaru. I too was the only girl to kick boys' butts on Saturday mornings...

Chris

Old Coot
The Pokemon League had been phased out from my bookstore, so I sought out for a new way to interact with others and play the game. I came across a Wizards of the Coast store and found quite a few people to play with. Soon, the numbers starting dying down. Neo 3 was the last set I saw but did not get into. I think I stopped with the second Neo set. The Dragon Ball Z card game was gaining popularity, so I went into that to play with more people.

The year is 2006 and I'd be interested in getting back into the game..if there were any people that would play. Sadly, it's not as big as it used to be. It's really difficult to find anyone who's still into Pokemon in my area. That's why I haven't dived into card games anymore. People treat 'em like fads. :\

Yu-Gi-Oh was the criminal--I actually got drew in by one friend of mine, and I convinced another friend of mine into it. Basically, myself and a friend of mine, we play pkmn on/off still, but everyone else in our area besides us+our siblings are now running around asking people if they "got the Egyptian god cards or Jinzo".

I also noticed that most of the good players left around Skyridge. Of course, some sets are better than others, like I can also tell when the packs sell (I check occasionally). Magma+Aqua/Aquapolis/Ruby+Sapphire/Neo Genesis alll were when more of the quirky players played the game. Also, some people just grow out quicker than others :p.
...ahnd, of course, there are different levels of playing/not playing. Myself, for instance, usually play more when the current set is good. Junk like Hidden Legends/Neo Revelation kept me out for a while...:p...

Raito

HADOUKEN!
Don't blame it on YGO because it lost popularity quicker than Pokemon. People thought Yu-Gi-Oh was better and in a year or so, both fell out of people's liking. Maybe because they thought it was boring or a kid's game[Bogus, IMHO]. But sadly, the popular game lost a lot of popularity.

I am making a comeback, but it is very slow because I can't keep up with the Metagame or the rules, and Yugioh is my number one hobby priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.