• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

wich age?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Char1016

Pokemon Communist
The maximum age? You mean in real life?

If you're talking for real life, then it is infinite. You lpay as much as you want, if you like it of course. You are never old for pokemon. I think.

Organous

Boulder Trainer
Everyone develops at different rates, so it's impossible to pin down a minimum. Here's my guess based on my experiences.

I got into the Pokemon game when I was 13, Christmas of 1998. That's probably not the truly minimum age, since I breezed through it in a day's time (would have been an actual day if not for a very embarassing mistake I made). I had played RPGs before, such as Dragon Warrior, so this was hardly new to me. I'd say you'd have to be, oh, about 7 or 8 before you can really start enjoying the game, and at 10 the game gets really easy.
Now, with the effort value thing, honestly, I think that's something you need someone to tell you about before you ever consider it. That's certainly how it was for me. I'm 20 and this is the first place I had ever heard about them. I still barely get it, because I know there are little intricacies all over. That could still just be me, so I'd say late teenage would be the minimum for understanding all the little things about the game. I still think you need to be told about it before ever grasping it, though. I knew my trained pokemon tended to be stronger than wild pokemon even when the wild ones had higher levels, but never figured out why until I came here.

Minimum to play: 7 or 8
Minimum to truly understand: 16+

In maximum, while everyone is entitled to what they like, I think someone past 35 who plays would be a very rare thing. Even if Pokemon still lives and continues to be the level it's at now (relative to other games), I don't see myself as being a Pokemon player at 35, much less 40. Obviously that wouldn't apply to people like Shigeru Miyamoto and (I guess) Michael Jackson, who take comfort in continuing a child-like happiness into adulthood. (Yes, I made a positive reference to Michael Jackson. Deal with it.)

Last edited:
Organous said:
Minimum to truly understand: 16+

...and here I was thinking I understood everything about the pokemon games, when in reality I still have another year to go :(

Personnaly I think that's one of the greatest things about pokemom: people at so many different age/skill levels can all play and enjoy it. If you're a 7 year old (and have alot patience), you can just use your favourites and spend a long time leveling them up (which is what I did). If you're 10 or 11, you can have an basic understanding of types, stats, move effects, etc and make use of that. I don't think anyone under 6 would really enjoy it though, as it could be confusing and difficult at times.

As for EV's and IV's and breeding and whatnot, I think it's usually more to do with when you find out about them. I learned about them coming to this site last year (though I didn't get them at first), but if you never hear of them you'll probably continue on playing the same as before. However, most likely those under the age of 14/13 wouldn't really care for intricacies such as those.

So... although it obviously depends alot on the person, I'm gonna make an estimate anyway.

Minimum to play: 6
Minimum to understand basics: 11
Minimum to fully understand: 14
Maximum: 40
(A 40+ person playing pokemon clearly hasn't just been a fan since childhood; more likely they have some kind of issues)

Meh, just my guesses.

Moonlight.

Hmmm...that's about right, except I understood the basics since I was 10 and I've fully understood since I was 13.

I can see a 6 year old playing, but with no clue to what they're doing. I've seen 8 year olds that need help to attack an opponent.

muckers

*yawn*
Well, I'm 17 and I still play it. Don't get evs and breeding and all that crap...mainly because I haven't looked into it much. :p

I just build the strongest team I can from the Pokemon available in the game and train it up as high as I can go.

umbreunatic

I am 18 and still doing it, I also don't use natures, but I do use abilities and I use EV's, but not really well, my guess is that people under 12 years won't look at the abilities and that people above 15 years will look for Ev's, not that everyone has to do, but I mean like he or she knows what it is etc.

I started the tread because most people I know think it is a game made for 6years-old. And therefore I asked you that, to see how you think about it, and I tink that it depends on the place where you live.

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
I'm 11 years old. I think I'm pretty good at pokemon games. Except, I don't pay attention to stats and natures much. I'd say the minimum age is 7 because my sister just recently became 6 and could hardly understand the game.

BluekiKatana

Warrior Spirit
I started playing when I was 11 and I understood all the types and basic mechanics at the time. I learned how to EV/IV train midway through the R/S generation which was when I was 17 I believe. Took me a while to figure it all out, but I did and from there my bro who was 14 at the time figured it out.
I taught it to my bro which made it easier. I think it's hard to learn on your own the way these online guides are written with all that overly complicated DV math, but people much younger can learn when it's explained to them in simple terms.

Oh, and for the maximum age you can play. Currently, most of us are a generation of gamers, the majority of us at least. So gaming from here on out will be more widely accepted as we age and for our generation I bet we'll have people in wheelchairs playing handhelds.

Last edited:

Pkm Trainer_Dewgong

Sillent Watcher
Well, i'm from Brazil and my friends also think that is a 6years-old game, but i just don't listen to them; My intention is to play until they stop making games.

About a maximum age, it just doesn't exist. If you like to play, play it. I know a 49years-old that still plays silver.

jellsprout

I think that the minimum age is 6.
The minimum age to uderstand about typing and making not all too bad movesets with four offensive attaks is about 10.
The minimum age to fully understand everything, from EV's, IV's and natures to movesets that take full advantage of Pokémon's stats is about 15.
The above ages aren't the same for everyone. Smart people, like myself, are able to learn those stuff at a much lower age.

And the maximum age, I think that you can play it untill you can't remember your age.

And it is actually fun to discuss with all those people who think that Pokémon is for six year olds. I just bring up EV's, a very accurate description of Houndoom, Groudon and Kyogre and off course Colloseum. It is always fun how they are speechless after those issues. Their heads are usually blown off after only EV's.

Last edited:

Mimori Kiryu

I don't worry about EVs or anything like that. I just play the game and have fun with it. I think that worrying about EVs and natures and stuff takes away from the fun of the game that happens at random.

I think that anyone can play the games at any age. My brother started playing the games when he was four and I know some people that are still 30-40 years old and still play the games and with the TCG. I think Pokemon is a game that has no age limit young or old.

Since the math skills one needs to understands the hidden values aren't very advanced, I'd say that as long as you're aware of it, and eager to do so, the minimum age to understand the hidden calculus of the franchise goes back to 12 years, or even 10. I'd say less, but it's at such age when kids start getting a sense of hard work and perseverance. The likely age is probably 13 or 14, though.

In fact, you just need to know how to make sums. Maybe substractions. You don't need squared root or integrals. The problem lies in actually knowing they exist. As soon as you do, just read some guides, and you're set. As for extra stuff, such as having +1 Speed than your opponent or having an HP divisible by 16 or all that crap... meh. Just worry about that if you play onlne battles (lol IMO.). Since the game isn't formed of drop-down menus, you can't control those at all. You have to either work with what you have or to try and get the best you can get...

As for Movesets, Teams, Roles an such... you'll learn that through experience, or by informing you about the rules of thumb. Again, not much of an age issue, but more of an attention span and will issues.

And to finish this, there's no age to stop playing Pokémon. As lon as you can, and as long as you enjoy it, you can play it 'till you're 80 if you may. Or even older...

N

Neon Lite

Minimum? You mean, like, when they should start playing?

Definately eight or nine. I can't stand it when my youngest brother (who's six) repeaditly asks me for help, and my other younger brother (nine) wants Sapphire, but my younger brother's cool that way.

umbreunatic

Neon Lite said:
Minimum? You mean, like, when they should start playing?

Definately eight or nine. I can't stand it when my youngest brother (who's six) repeaditly asks me for help, and my other younger brother (nine) wants Sapphire, but my younger brother's cool that way.
I have a kid in my neighbourhood who constantly ask things about pokemon, and then I feel ashamed

LOL im 14 and i know almost everything about the game. And the minimum is 6 i remember i was 7 in 1998 and there was younger kids then me playing pokemon. so 6 is the minimum.

E

Evanji Axu

I didn't really understand until I was almost 15, although I first tried strategy at about 10-12.

AJ Flibble

Emohawk
You should be around 6-7 to really remember it and/or enjoy it, although I was 8 at the time, but it'll take around 14+ to understand truly everything.

killerjaw01

▼1.618▼
I think it is best to start at age 6, depending on whever you have played games beforehand. Max age...never.

Status
Not open for further replies.