• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Wierd computer problem...

TWN

5326 7398 1244
A few weeks ago, we had a pretty bad storm. We woke up to discover that two of our computers' internet was unresponsive and our Xbox 360's power adaptor was blinking red. We returned the Xbox 360 and got a new one. The two computers that lost connection with the internet are both desktops connected by a cable (as opposed to wireless) to a router, which connects to a modem. We tried using our laptop to connect wirelessly to the internet...and it worked. We then tried using the desktops' cables to connect to the internet with the laptop (we turned wireless off). This also worked. We then tried connecting to Xbox Live with the new Xbox 360. No luck with this one.

Then I tried connecting a desktop and the 360 straight into the modem, rather than the router. To make things more confusing, the 360 connected just fine, but the desktop didn't...

This makes no sense to me... Why will the router give internet to our laptop but not our desktops and Xbox 360? And why does the modem give internet to the 360 but not the desktop? This is way over my head...

Umbreon13x

Defense Trainer
it sounds like lightning hit your internet some where and fried your network cards on your desktops, which would explain why your laptop works via wire, but your other comps don't

chuboy

<- It was THIS big!
Yeppp, unlucky.

You will have to buy network cards for your computers and probably replace your XBoxes etc. You have to unplug stuff during storms, especially phone-related cables.

dragonskull

Dark trainer
While a defect may be the case, you dont need to buy new network cards.

There can be several explanations to this cause, the cable may have melted inside (but this is rarely the case), what I call a meltdown certain parts overheat due to extensive use or overload (probably the case with your desktops) or an internal failure of your motherboard wiring due to heat.

My advice would be to buy yourself 2 wireless usb internet receivers and go on with that system since you already have a wireless router. But, you need to know how many wireless computers are supported on your router/modem, if the 2 addtions of the desktops exceed the supported number of wireless connections then its maybe better to buy 2 new network cards but normally it should also work with the first setup.