• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Wii Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
So I have bought Metroid Other M and Brawl and both don't work on my Wii. Are they other games like this? I hear its the Wii lens so do I buy a new Wii?

One: This should be in tech help

Cometstarlight said:
No, wait until early spring so you can buy the Wii U that way you can play both wii games and wii u games, just a recommendation

Two: That is the worse advice you could ever give to a person as the WiiU has no price nor a release date.

Three: To the OP it sound likes that your Wii's lens just may need cleaning try buying a Wii's lens cleaning kit and see if that works.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
One: This should be in tech help

Two: That is the worse advice you could ever give to a person as the WiiU has no price nor a release date.

Three: To the OP it sound likes that your Wii's lens just may need cleaning try buying a Wii's lens cleaning kit and see if that works.

Maybe if you had actually read the rest of the post you would already know I had said that

Clamps

Warning: Jokes!
Maybe if you had actually read the rest of the post you would already know I had said that

Bro, you are a ****ing idiot. If someone comes asking for immediate solutions you don't tell them to wait a god damn year. Get the hell off my internet.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
It was just a suggestion, they didn't have to take it if they didn't want to. It was just a suggestion but I wouldn't think you would know how to spell that word let alone know the definition of it.
Obviously he doesn't have to wait a whole year and I do admit I'd rather not wait a year to play my wii again, I just didn't know if they wanted to spend X amount of money on it.

BTW There's no need to get cussy.

sceptile33

No, wait until early spring so you can buy the Wii U that way you can play both wii games and wii u games, just a recommendation

It seems you just assumed the guy would have to buy a new Wii, so you thought it would be a better deal to not use your money if he's getting a Wii U eventually. However, if the lens cleaners work, it's probably better to just buy those instead.

Pinsirius

Sentimental Fool ;)
To answer the question: Your Wii's disc drive either has problems or, more likely, it just can't read dual-layered discs. Nintendo will repair your Wii for free if you have this issue, it's on their website.

As for Other M's being dual-layered, it was the cutscenes. It really had to be.

Audio could be a problem, though, as Nintendo Europe's making Xenoblade bilingual pushed the game to a dual-layered disc. But then again, it's a JRPG with a gigantic world.

Pinsirius

Sentimental Fool ;)
Cutscenes aren't enough to take up too much space either. At best, Tales of Symphonia 2 had lots of them.

I'm still suspecting the graphics.

Symphonia 2's were made off in-game assets- as cool as motion capture was, it was the game's excuse for lacking anime cutscenes, ultimately a time and money saving gesture. Other M's were of the sort you'd expect off the HD consoles, and required Nintendo to hire a separate studio to make them.

Or, to be blunt, which game's scenes look like they take up more space?

Pinsirius

Sentimental Fool ;)
Cutscenes aren't enough to take up too much space either. At best, Tales of Symphonia 2 had lots of them.

I'm still suspecting the graphics.

Symphonia 2's were made off in-game assets- as cool as motion capture was, it was the game's excuse for lacking anime cutscenes, ultimately a time and money saving gesture. Other M's were of the sort you'd expect off the HD consoles, and required Nintendo to hire a separate studio to make them. You shouldn't have to put two and two together to realize Other M's take more.

Other M's in-game visuals are fine as well, but unless I'm underselling how large the Bottle Ship is, larger worlds have fit on a Gamecube disc.

Chris

Old Coot
I'm surprised nobody in this thread has answered properly.

Well, dude, you have two options to fix the lens:

1) You can send your Wii to Nintendo to repair the lens.
2) I suspect your Wii's lens are dirty. Fortunately for you, Nintendo has released a lens clean up kit. You can only buy that online in their site though.

Brawl and Other M both have a two-layered disc.

Yes, some launch model Wiis have trouble reading dual-layered discs, of which both Brawl and Other M (among other games, such as Metroid Prime Trilogy; Skyward Sword will undoubtedly be one as well) are.

The disc cleaning method is the best known way to fix it, apart from sending in your Wii to Nintendo themselves.

To answer the question: Your Wii's disc drive either has problems or, more likely, it just can't read dual-layered discs. Nintendo will repair your Wii for free if you have this issue, it's on their website.

As for Other M's being dual-layered, it was the cutscenes. It really had to be.

Audio could be a problem, though, as Nintendo Europe's making Xenoblade bilingual pushed the game to a dual-layered disc. But then again, it's a JRPG with a gigantic world.
These are the main posts to look at. Dual-layer discs don't agree well with most launch Wiis (not all, however, as mine has no issues with them and was purchased at launch). Simply call Nintendo to report the issue, replace your Wii or wait for a Wii U. Do not attempt fixing the Wii yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.