• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Wii save data problem

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
Ok, so my Wii has been having a few problems. It makes a loud humming noise whenever it runs a disc and the save data menu won't work. I know that there's probably no way to fix it; I'll just have to get a replacement or send it in for repairs. But if they repair it, I am concerned that they will format my memory, and I'll lose everything. Problem is, I can't figure out how to get my save data onto an SD card so I don't lose it.

Here's what's wrong: I'm on the Wii Menu, and I click on Wii Options. I go into Data Management -> Save Data -> Wii, and the system freezes up. The save data dosen't appear, and the screen just sits there. I can't click on the back button. In fact, if I hover over the back button, it doesn't even "pop up" which normally happens on the Wii when you hover over a button. The only way to get it off this screen is to unplug it. All the other menus seem to work fine. I can go into Data Management -> Wii Channels and it works fine. I can go into Data Management -> Save Data -> Gamecube. It's only Save Data->Wii that glitches up.

So, my question is, is there any way I can get my data off of the Wii system and onto an SD card?

EDIT: Aw ****. I could've sworn I was in Tech Help. Would a kindly mod please move this?

Last edited:

BCVM22

If you can't access the Wii save data, that's pretty definitive. There's no back door or anything, and any number of games won't allow their save data to be transferred to an SD card anyway.

Your only bet is that Nintendo might be able to transplant the internal flash memory from your system into a new one (as they are noted to be able to do), assuming the flash memory isn't part of your current Wii's woes to begin with.

TicoPokemonMaster

If you can't access the Wii save data, that's pretty definitive. There's no back door or anything, and any number of games won't allow their save data to be transferred to an SD card anyway.

Your only bet is that Nintendo might be able to transplant the internal flash memory from your system into a new one (as they are noted to be able to do), assuming the flash memory isn't part of your current Wii's woes to begin with.

right, especially Wiiware and VC games can't be transferred through SD cards to another wii.

And might I ask did the Wii go through any trama. Because i think its alittle odd that only the Wii save option doesn't work. I think its bet that instead of searching here you call Nintendo's troubleshoot line to get a better answer to your question

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers

Well, I knew most Wifi-compatible games couldn't be copied, but I wanted to dopy whatever I could. Like Metroid Prime Trilogy, DK Country Returns, my Wiiware/VC games, etc.

right, especially Wiiware and VC games can't be transferred through SD cards to another wii.

Wait, what do you mean? I already moved my VC/WiiWare games to an SD card. If I put them in another Wii then I can load them off the SD card, right?

And might I ask did the Wii go through any trama. Because i think its alittle odd that only the Wii save option doesn't work. I think its bet that instead of searching here you call Nintendo's troubleshoot line to get a better answer to your question

Nope, no trauma. It's just been sitting in my bedroom since I got it. (Although it has gotten knocked over onto its side sometimes, but surely that wouldn't be enough to hurt it?)

Anyway thanks for the help. I was afraid that might be the answer. But now I have a related question. If I were to get a new Wii game, or a new VC game, would the save data be automatically saved to the Wii console, or could I somehow make it save to the SD card? I know when you download something from the Shop Channel, it asks you if you want to save it to ythe console or SD card, but I don't know if that means just the channel itself or the save data too.

Blazios

Anyway thanks for the help. I was afraid that might be the answer. But now I have a related question. If I were to get a new Wii game, or a new VC game, would the save data be automatically saved to the Wii console, or could I somehow make it save to the SD card? I know when you download something from the Shop Channel, it asks you if you want to save it to ythe console or SD card, but I don't know if that means just the channel itself or the save data too.

It's just the channel that gets saved to the SD card, I'm afraid.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
Wait, what do you mean? I already moved my VC/WiiWare games to an SD card. If I put them in another Wii then I can load them off the SD card, right?

No you can only play VC/WiiWare only the Wii that you downloaded to in the first place. You would have to repay to download it.

Zibdas

not bad
No you can only play VC/WiiWare only the Wii that you downloaded to in the first place. You would have to repay to download it.

Can't you also save the channel to the card?
I did...

BCVM22

Can't you also save the channel to the card?
I did...

You can, but that's only for purposes of making space on the system's internal memory. As stated, downloaded games are locked to the system they were downloaded on and cannot be played on any other system.

Zibdas

not bad
You can, but that's only for purposes of making space on the system's internal memory. As stated, downloaded games are locked to the system they were downloaded on and cannot be played on any other system.

So wait, it saves the game, but doesn't actually save the game? :S
*confusion*

BCVM22

It saves the game. It does not permit you to actually play the paid downloaded game on another system, for obvious reasons. Simple as that.

If you save the "channel" to an SD card and try and access it on another system, it will not permit you from doing so.