• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Wii Sports outsells Super Mario Bros.

Rhonin the wizard

This. It's not like Wii Sports was a bad game, but it, Like Wii Fit, appealed moreso to people who hardly to never played video games and got more attention than even the newer games to come out like Brawl and Mario Kart.

I should prolly consider sending my own 360 in to get repairs.
You do know that once you were one of those people that "hardly to never played video games"?

Krake

Flabebe's Kids
You do know that once you were one of those people that "hardly to never played video games"?

Of course, but so was pretty much everyone who considers them a gamer to any degree. I'm referring to casual gamers, whom seldom play any video games at all.

Rhonin the wizard

Of course, but so was pretty much everyone who considers them a gamer to any degree. I'm referring to casual gamers, whom seldom play any video games at all.
These "casual gamers" existed long before the Wii, some could become more interested in games as time passes. Also, is it wrong for Nintendo to focus on the largest demographic possible? Also, take into consideration that they are still making games for their old fans.

Krake

Flabebe's Kids
These "casual gamers" existed long before the Wii, some could become more interested in games as time passes. Also, is it wrong for Nintendo to focus on the largest demographic possible? Also, take into consideration that they are still making games for their old fans.

No, it's just because more people are getting into video games, a lot of them don't know what's a good game or not, and as such buy anything on the Wii shelves, including crappy games caused by Nintendo's lack of content control.
Since then, the Wii barely gets any good third party support because most of the good games are ignored over shovelware games.

Dattebayo

Banned
I thought Super Mario Bros. would be overthrown by another Mario game as the best selling game, but Wii Sports, eh, close enough, at least it's also from Nintendo instead of another company.

Rhonin the wizard

No, it's just because more people are getting into video games, a lot of them don't know what's a good game or not, and as such buy anything on the Wii shelves, including crappy games caused by Nintendo's lack of content control.
Since then, the Wii barely gets any good third party support because most of the good games are ignored over shovelware games.
Nintendo tried content control once, it didn't turn out well.
As for good third party support, do your really want me to make a list?
Edit: If you want to continue this do you want to take it to PMs as to not derail the thread even further?

Last edited:

shadowkami

Internet Hustla'
It's not surprising. Its as the article said, You bought the wii, you bought wii sports. And since Wii's are in popular demand, The consoles sell more than the games themselves. You do the math.

Chris

Old Coot
Should be noted that even though SMB was bundled with the NES, this wasn't until the game was actually released. The NES itself did not first come out bundled with SMB. In fact, unlike Wii Sports outside of Japan, SMB could indeed be bought separately for people who bought an NES during the R.O.B period.

Also worth noting that SMB had been released on the NES in three different formats: by itself, as Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt, and as Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt/World Class Track Meet.

A majority of the sales for Wii Sports are attributed to the sales of the Wii. Super Mario Bros.' sales were lead by the game itself, it being bundled with the console later and it receiving another release in 1990.

HERLS

LOLOLOL
As far as I care, SMB3 is the best-selling game ever.

Because it sold well on it's own merit, rather than because a majority of the consoles were packaged with it, which is kind of cheating in the sales charts as far as I'm concerned.

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
I expected it, but I still can't believe it. Super Mario Bros. was a game you can play countless times while I got bored of Wii Sports after a few days.

But wait - when we say outsells, do we mean that they've given out more copies? Because remember, Wii Sports was released with the Wii, so they might be included those Wii Sports games in their count.

Cutty

Forever now
That's intersting fact. Wii sports could have run over other popular games' sells from other consoles too I believe.

CyberneticGlion

Pokemaniac10 revived
I'm actually a bit surprised over this, which is odd considering that I was expecting this to happen someday.
Have to agree with what most people have said about this though.

Chris

Old Coot

Because it sold well on it's own merit, rather than because a majority of the consoles were packaged with it, which is kind of cheating in the sales charts as far as I'm concerned.
Not true.

SMB was later packaged with the NES because the game was an instant hit upon release. The very reason people bought an NES after the games release was to play Mario. Same deal with Super Mario World. People bought an SNES to play the newest Mario game, especially since it came with the console (as well as sold without it).

No one bought a Wii to play Wii Sports.

Rhonin the wizard

Not true.

SMB was later packaged with the NES because the game was an instant hit upon release. The very reason people bought an NES after the games release was to play Mario. Same deal with Super Mario World. People bought an SNES to play the newest Mario game, especially since it came with the console (as well as sold without it).

No one bought a Wii to play Wii Sports.
I wouldn't be so sure if I were you.
Wii Sports (Released November 2006)
Current Rank: #4 Last Month’s Rank: #4

Raw data for “Wii Sports” usage

Average time played per player:
As of 1/1: 34 hours, 47 minutes (down 36 minutes)
As of 12/1: 35 hours, 23 minutes
As of 11/2: 35 hours, 4 minutes
As of 10/5: 34 hours, 45 minutes
As of 9/1: 34 hours, 25 minutes

Average number of sessions per player:
As of 1/1: 28.38 sessionss (down .66 sessions)
As of 12/1: 29.04 sessions
As of 11/2: 28.9 sessions
As of 10/5: 28.72 sessions
As of 9/1: 28.56 sessions
Source

jigglypoof

oldskool pokeshipper
Well, I can't lie and say I wasn't surprised - but then again, with the way things are going I really shouldn't have been. Although, since Wii Sport has always been a bundle with the Wii, that's kind of cheating. I know a few people that will be ticked about this.

Chris

Old Coot
I wouldn't be so sure if I were you.
Wii Sports (Released November 2006)
Current Rank: #4 Last Month’s Rank: #4

Raw data for “Wii Sports” usage

Average time played per player:
As of 1/1: 34 hours, 47 minutes (down 36 minutes)
As of 12/1: 35 hours, 23 minutes
As of 11/2: 35 hours, 4 minutes
As of 10/5: 34 hours, 45 minutes
As of 9/1: 34 hours, 25 minutes

Average number of sessions per player:
As of 1/1: 28.38 sessionss (down .66 sessions)
As of 12/1: 29.04 sessions
As of 11/2: 28.9 sessions
As of 10/5: 28.72 sessions
As of 9/1: 28.56 sessions
Source
Which means nothing for this discussion. All that says how long people played it.

There's a difference between buying a console for a game and buying a console and enjoying the free game that came with it.

~Spacial_Rendation~

De Ibwis Twigga!
The best selling non-bundled games are Pokemon Red and Blue, which sold about 20 million copies. Wii Sports is the best selling bundled game, selling over 40 million copies. Super Mario Bros is sort of in between of this. As it wasn't bundled with the NES at first, but later it was. SMB sold about 40 million copies.

An interesting Fact. I liek statistics.

Last edited:

Clamps

Warning: Jokes!
The best selling non-bundled games are Pokemon Red and Blue, which sold about 20 million copies.

Should Red and Blue be counted? I mean, they are counting the combined sales of both games, and I'd be willing to bet that I'm not the only one who bought both.