• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Wii VGA Cable Nub. Requiring Some Assistance.

Leebui

Questionable...
Wow, never posted here before, but there is a first for everything I suppose.

Anyway, I'm planning on using my computer monitor as my primary display for my Wii soon, and a VGA cable allows that. So I went around finding the best one for my needs. I stumbled upon this one:

Linky

Now it has some preview shots and I can already see an improvement in picture quality over the default composite cables. Looks good, so that'll probably be what I'll purchase.

Now, most computer monitors don't have speakers connected to them, they're sold or bundled separately and therefore you'll get no sound just plugging the cords together from Wii to monitor. A picture in the link details the full set-up via picture, and it shows some sort of converter to a computer speaker. What is that called? Oh, and is it cheap? Finally, would it work on Dell brand speakers? I'm not too keen on buying new ones.

The cord connecting to the Dell speakers are male connectors, but the picture shows the converter cables going into the "speakers" via female connectors. Is this a printing error, or what? Yes, I'm a completely n00b, I am aware.

Next on the list of questions is that in that same picture, there's this green-cord jutting out from the VGA connector to the monitor. It supposedly connects to the TV, but why? If the purpose of this is to play on a monitor, why need it? Furthermore, if you do need it momentarily to optimize your Wii or something, where would you plug it in? In the AV Video In (Composite) of any old TV?

Finally, I assume this works on all modern monitors, right? I have a Dell E177FP if that makes any difference.

Any help would be appreciated.

chuboy

<- It was THIS big!
Now, most computer monitors don't have speakers connected to them, they're sold or bundled separately and therefore you'll get no sound just plugging the cords together from Wii to monitor. A picture in the link details the full set-up via picture, and it shows some sort of converter to a computer speaker. What is that called? Oh, and is it cheap? Finally, would it work on Dell brand speakers? I'm not too keen on buying new ones.
Go to your local electronics or hi-fi shop and buy an RCA to 3.5mm (1/8") stereo plug changer - there is multitude of different lengths but as long as you get the plugs right at each end you're laughing. They should cost your more than like 10 bucks.

This will work on any speakers which use a plug that fits in the end of it (i.e. basically all computer speakers and headphones). If you have a hi-fi system, then you don't need to buy the converter as the wires go straight into the back of the amplifier.

The cord connecting to the Dell speakers are male connectors, but the picture shows the converter cables going into the "speakers" via female connectors. Is this a printing error, or what? Yes, I'm a completely n00b, I am aware.
No, the speaker cable (which is male) goes into the female end of the converter.

Next on the list of questions is that in that same picture, there's this green-cord jutting out from the VGA connector to the monitor. It supposedly connects to the TV, but why? If the purpose of this is to play on a monitor, why need it? Furthermore, if you do need it momentarily to optimize your Wii or something, where would you plug it in? In the AV Video In (Composite) of any old TV?
The green cable goes into your television like a normal Wii plug. Just an extra feature I suppose.

Finally, I assume this works on all modern monitors, right? I have a Dell E177FP if that makes any difference.

Any help would be appreciated.
It works on all monitors that have that socket on it (a VGA connector).