• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Wild Area Discussion & Speculation Thread

PokeMon2.0

Cramorant is too cute for words!
I feel like the Pokémon will first be weak 1st stage Pokémon, and as we level up, the Pokémon in the Wild Area level up.
Can’t wait for Sword & Shield to come out so I can get all sorts of Pokémon.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Anyone think the Wild Area could support Labo VR? I don't want to get my hopes up too much on this because it feels like asking for too much too soon (they just started dabbling in open world design, not sure if they could handle VR on top of that), but I'm salivating at the idea being able to view a gorgeous open area such as this in VR.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Anyone think the Wild Area could support Labo VR? I don't want to get my hopes up too much on this because it feels like asking for too much too soon (they just started dabbling in open world design, not sure if they could handle VR on top of that), but I'm salivating at the idea being able to view a gorgeous open area such as this in VR.
I'm not really sure what the big deal is with VR but I can definitely see it most likely applied to Sword & Shield's wild area in two months or an year later after release.

Creyk

Maybe in 4 years? It would be nice if they incorporated that but also a big change so it probably won't happen right away.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I'm not really sure what the big deal is with VR but I can definitely see it most likely applied to Sword & Shield's wild area in two months or an year later after release.
Same here. It's nice for people who like that kind of thing, but not everyone can/wants to use it.

ShadowForce720

This is the best feature they revealed so far. Having an opened world area in pokemon game with pokemon just roaming freely is incredible, something i personally dreamed of since started playing pokemon. It feels so lively and the added raid feature is just icing on the cake. They said pokemon you encounter will depend on weather and time which means we will get dynamic weather system and a huge variety of pokemon. Honestly it feels like i am going to spend hours exploring and catching new pokemon.

You know with the dynamic weather system in Sword and Shield this would be a good way to have you be able to catch all the forms of Deerling/Sawsbuck as you could have each for show up or be more common depending on the weather and here is how it would break down:

Sunny=Summer Form Deerling/Sawsbuck
Raining=Spring Form Deerling/Sawsbuck
Snowing=Winter Form Deerling/Sawsbuck

I will admit I'm not quite sure what the weather would be for the Autumn/Fall Form Deerling/Sawsbuck, but you pretty much get the idea.

DSDark

Breeder
You know with the dynamic weather system in Sword and Shield this would be a good way to have you be able to catch all the forms of Deerling/Sawsbuck as you could have each for show up or be more common depending on the weather and here is how it would break down:

Sunny=Summer Form Deerling/Sawsbuck
Raining=Spring Form Deerling/Sawsbuck
Snowing=Winter Form Deerling/Sawsbuck

I will admit I'm not quite sure what the weather would be for the Autumn/Fall Form Deerling/Sawsbuck, but you pretty much get the idea.

Sandy

Inoshi

Pokemon Lover
Wild Area was the most exciting aspect of the Direct for me because I'm always about inmersion and I think this will help with that. The pokemon look more realistic in their natural habitats here than they did in Pokemon Let's Go. It's a sheer contrast in terms of my reaction to Dynamax which I don't like and find it very silly at the moment.

ReneEnjolras

Explorer of Ruins
Wild Area was the most exciting aspect of the Direct for me because I'm always about inmersion and I think this will help with that. The pokemon look more realistic in their natural habitats here than they did in Pokemon Let's Go. It's a sheer contrast in terms of my reaction to Dynamax which I don't like and find it very silly at the moment.
I do like that you can see Pokemon in their habitats now. It does provide some nice immersion for the game and give a nice feel.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I feel like the Pokémon will first be weak 1st stage Pokémon, and as we level up, the Pokémon in the Wild Area level up.

That's what I'm hoping for.

It makes more sense for there to be a level curve instead of having all the pokemon there at once. I'm sure they can implement this. It's a simple hidden key coding. I used to do it a lot with a game I developed a couple years back, setting code that keeps things hidden until a certain objective is met.

I forgot the precise writing for it, though. lol It's been a minute.

DSDark

Breeder

I agree with this. Also I noticed that about 5 of the gyms are located around the wilds. I thinking that the wilds will change as you collect gyms. For each badge collected the wilds pokemon get higher in level. Also as the level increases the stage of the pokemon increase. Also the other gyms will level up as you collect badges. This seems possible

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Now this is just a hunch, I mentioned this in the New Pokemon Discussion Thread but I think the roaming Pokemon mechanic might return new and upgraded in the Wild Area through the Sword & Shield Legendaries. This is entirely a hunch, there's no proof of it but the legendary Pokemon just reminds me so much of the Legendary Beasts which are also roaming Pokemon, not just in how they look but the vibes they give off when we see them dueling in an ordinary looking forest. It wasn't like the big sprawling canyons associated with the Sun and the ocean reflecting the stars and the moon, they were both just in an ordinary forest, an ordinary looking route which reminds me of the Legendary Beasts. Now I know they've never done roaming boxart legendaries but that would make so much sense to see the roaming Pokemon mechanic in some form of legendary in the Wild Area.

With that being said, I think it would be a fun idea to have Thundurus and Tornadus return as roaming Pokemon or heck even past legendaries potentially associated with weather because I thought it was a neat idea in Gen V where you could find Thundurus or Tornadus based on the sudden change in weather.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Now this is just a hunch, I mentioned this in the New Pokemon Discussion Thread but I think the roaming Pokemon mechanic might return new and upgraded in the Wild Area through the Sword & Shield Legendaries. This is entirely a hunch, there's no proof of it but the legendary Pokemon just reminds me so much of the Legendary Beasts which are also roaming Pokemon, not just in how they look but the vibes they give off when we see them dueling in an ordinary looking forest. It wasn't like the big sprawling canyons associated with the Sun and the ocean reflecting the stars and the moon, they were both just in an ordinary forest, an ordinary looking route which reminds me of the Legendary Beasts. Now I know they've never done roaming boxart legendaries but that would make so much sense to see the roaming Pokemon mechanic in some form of legendary in the Wild Area.

With that being said, I think it would be a fun idea to have Thundurus and Tornadus return as roaming Pokemon or heck even past legendaries potentially associated with weather because I thought it was a neat idea in Gen V where you could find Thundurus or Tornadus based on the sudden change in weather.

Interesting idea. That would definitely be a great way to bring that feature back. Having them roam around the Wild Area instead of randomly jumping to different routes would make it a lot less irritating a mechanic.

Kingudora

My favourite
I hope we will see pokémon interact with others in the Wild Area, at least those that are usually connected to each other.

Like Plusle and Minun practicing cheerleading together, Zangoose and Seviper fighting each other, the same with Durant and Heatmor etc.

wolf jani

The 6th member to reach 20 000 posts
Wild Area is fine to me even tough I hate open world games. But if we'll ever get a core series 100 % open world game I wouldn't buy it and I would just complain all the time in these forums.

And I hope that Wild area isn't too big part of the games and that you could just pass it through quickly and be done with it.

Last edited:

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Wild Area is fine to me even tough I hate open world games. But if we'll ever get a core series 100 % open world game I wouldn't buy it and I would just complain all the time in these forums.

And I hope that Wild area isn't too big part of the games and that you could just pass it through quickly and be done with it.
Almost all of the open-world games allow freedom to arrive the final destination and complete the game, if you can. In Pokémon's regard, you'll never be able to challenge the Pokémon League straight without completing the required eight GYM badges; that would damage the core value of the series.

The most we could see however, is to visit towns without any restriction and collect badges as any order we please. Still, the progression of evil team, rivals, forced gimmick quests will prevent you to experience full-extent open-world game. There's actually not a bad chance SWSH can be regarded as the most closest game to an open-world approach, though, in case we can change the orders of GYMs like LGPE.

PokeMon2.0

Cramorant is too cute for words!
Yes.

Grey Wind

Interesting tidbit from the official site:

In the Wild Area, there is a chance that you’ll run into powerful wild Pokémon! These Pokémon are constantly on their guard—in fact, you won’t even be able to throw a Poké Ball at them when first starting your adventure.

I'm guessing this means we won't be able to catch stuff of a certain level until we've met the requirements.