• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Wild Area Discussion & Speculation Thread

Ultra Beast Lover

I think there'll be at least one campsite, maybe one per area

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I think there'll be at least one campsite, maybe one per area
I would love camping to be a feature although if it does happen, I do wonder will it be where you can just set it up anywhere kind of like Breath of the wild or is it already preset and locked to certain locations? I feel like the second option is more likely since GameFreak likes to take their time in developing concepts in the long run.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Hope the rumor about the city area is true. Would be interesting to see the whole London inspired city to be a wild area. But outside of that they need to make North-Ireland a post game area with a couple of smaller towns. The geographic location of the island just screams another post game island like in Sinnoh.

Mewizard

My main problem is how it just seems to be a few trees, lakes, rocks, etc and not much else to look forward too. I loved BOTW but even I cannot deny that some places were barren which is what I’m seeing (so far) with the Wild Area minus the Pokemon roaming.
This is my main gripe with it too. The Idea is great but the execution is very poor. It all comes down to the design for me, If the area wasn't so barren and had decent Tree, rocks and structures it wouldn't look bad at all.
It's just too empty, they need line of sight blockers like giant rocks trees or plants to help give it an exploration feeling. Being able to see the whole area from far away is what's making it feel so lifeless, Especially since the pokemon only spawn when your nearby.
The Trees are far and few between, They should have clumped them together, same goes for the water. a Lake is nice but put in some rivers and waterfalls, separate the areas with other areas of interest.
Then there's the terrain, It doesn't look natural at all, It looks like something from minecraft to be honest.
And Finally for the love of god where is all the vegetation and rocks? Tall grass is okay but where are all the plants and rocks?

Again like so many other aspects to the game, It's just wasted potential :(

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
I think we should probably wait until the final product before calling it barren. I mean they are continuously adding new things to the areas so there will probably be more trees and plants and rocks by the time the final game is here.

Ducolamia

SAYYYY WHAT???
Isn't there a huge forest area in the game we haven't fully seen yet? It's in the trailers. And this is a different climate from alola. It would be weird seeing palm trees and super lush places like that here.

It's pretty clear this game is more urbanized for what it's worth. It reminds me a lot of Unova with a mix of open areas.

How it comes together depends obviously and this isn't limited to being a GF problem, but I think it's too early to tell especially since we know for a fact the town's and areas are bigger than they actually are.

shoz999

Isn't there a huge forest area in the game we haven't fully seen yet? It's in the trailers. And this is a different climate from alola. It would be weird seeing palm trees and super lush places like that here.

It's pretty clear this game is more urbanized for what it's worth. It reminds me a lot of Unova with a mix of open areas.

How it comes together depends obviously and this isn't limited to being a GF problem, but I think it's too early to tell especially since we know for a fact the town's and areas are bigger than they actually are.
Are you talking about the foggy forest area seen in the early trailer I believe? I don't recall seeing any animated Pokemon there but if I had to guess where that is, I don't think that's in the Wild Area but is near the Pokemon Gym with the mushrooms.

Ducolamia

SAYYYY WHAT???
Are you talking about the foggy forest area seen in the early trailer I believe? I don't recall seeing any animated Pokemon there but if I had to guess where that is, I don't think that's in the Wild Area but is near the Pokemon Gym with the mushrooms.

That was the one! It could be an entire area or forest in itself, but I don't see it as being a gym. (It COULD be but I don't know yet) It's possible getting near the gym you have to pass through a forest area which would make some sense due to the layout. But I can't say for sure obviously.

SpiritSkye

#ShieldGang
There was only a glimpse before, but we did get some footage of a battle and Camping in a foggy forest (or forests) in the most recent JP trailer (battle @1:02, Camp @1:47).

I was previously under the assumption that the foggy forest we saw in the first trailer was the forest obscured by clouds near the protagonist’s house (there is a path leading there from our home on the map, which is what gave me that idea), however, you could be right that it’s the “Mushroom Forest.” I would have thought that forest would have a focus on Fairy pokémon judging by it’s appearance, whereas the footage I mentioned before shows off mainly Ghost pokémon (and one Psychic, as I believe I saw Bronzong there).

shoz999

Saw a Polygon article saying that some wild Pokemon will be drastically over leveled in the wild area. You know what was funny about that article? It's headline was "Xenoblade Fans rejoice!" lol. Whose ready to see a Lv. 85 Tyranitar in the baby-starting area lol?

Creyk

Saw a Polygon article saying that some wild Pokemon will be drastically over leveled in the wild area. You know what was funny about that article? It's headline was "Xenoblade Fans rejoice!" lol. Whose ready to see a Lv. 85 Tyranitar in the baby-starting area lol?
Just imagine how awesome training will be. You just need a quick ball to catch one of those high level pokemon then you can use that one to defeat the others and your normal-leveled pokemon will be levelling up quick thanks to the exp share. That is a really cool idea.

JW1004

Well it gives it a little more 'real' feel to see overleveled Pokémon. And also a reason to go back to a certain area. I mean in the past gens the early routes were not interesting, later in game, unless you had to fill your Pokédex or wanted to train a low leveled Pokémon, but even then I just used an Exp. Share.

Kataphrut

Are all the ghost types over-levelled? In most of the first "zone" it's easy to tell where most Pokemon stand (Stuffle/Electrike easy, avoid Bewear/Manetric for example) but even the basic Ghastly and Golurk are in their 20s. Good luck getting a ghosty on your team before the first gym.

Sponge

Are all the ghost types over-levelled? In most of the first "zone" it's easy to tell where most Pokemon stand (Stuffle/Electrike easy, avoid Bewear/Manetric for example) but even the basic Ghastly and Golurk are in their 20s. Good luck getting a ghosty on your team before the first gym.

You might be able to get a ghost on your team through a max raid battle. I got a lv 16 Yamask before the first gym that way.

Are you talking about the Watchtower area with the Gastly and Duskull? You need to have two gym badges before you can catch them.

sketchersmeargle

Do we have a map of the Den numbers?? Its great to know which Pokemon are in which dens, but doesn't help that I have no clue where they are.

Bus

I think I found a glitch. My Appletun's Ripen ability shows activation when using Leftovers every turn. Though I don't think the effets are actually increasing...hard to tell since I don't know how much he should be recovering with it lol.

EDIT: Yep, definitely a glitch; he's only gaining the normal 6% of his total health back but Ripen is activating as if its benefiting Leftovers anyway

Last edited:

shoz999

So a beach-themed exploration focusing on the theme of growth and a tundra-themed exploration focusing on the theme of exploration. Judging by the snowy area and crown, I can easily see that wild area be at the very edge of the Galar region up north. As I said before, I noticed a lot of unused land on the map up north that would be perfect for expanding upon in a third version. Now the island DLC. Honestly have no idea what that could be but if I had to make a guess, the very edge of southern Galar would be perfect for such a big setting. Also considering how the islands appear to be heavily based around water, the rotom bike is definitely going to have strong importance there which is an item you can only get at a certain point in the game. I wonder if the wild area in the tundra will have some kind of system in place built around the snow. For example, the heavy trudge of snow that slows you down in Gen 4? I wonder if that will make a return.