1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Wild Spearow Knows Fly?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation I & II Discussion' started by Balet, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Balet

Balet RBY Veteran

I was playing Green the other day (not emulated) and in that area West of Celedon City where you acquire the HM, Fly, while I was battling in the grassy patch, I came across a wild Spearow that (I kid you not) used Fly.

Is this old news? Did anyone know you can find wild Spearows that know Fly there? Is it only in Green, or also in the American versions of Red and Blue?

Pardon this debatably meaningless observasion. Wild. Spearow, With. Fly. I'm geeking out here.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  2. Kutie Pie

Kutie Pie 桜咲くこの坂を今も上っている

Did it use Mirror Move on you when you used Fly on it? That might be the only other plausible explanation how it would use Fly, because unless that girl has been teaching all of those Spearow Fly where she lives, a wild Spearow shouldn't be using that move. Heck, I don't think any wild Pokémon can use HM moves.

3. Ditto B1tch

Ditto B1tch Well-Known Member

A minority of Pokemons can learn HM moves by leveling up.

However, none the ones I know are from Gen 1. Salamence and Fly, Goldeen and Waterfall, Sawk and Rock Smash, for example.

4. Bananarama

Bananarama Another trophy

It's likely a glitch; no Pokémon could learn HM's by level up back then, aside from aforementioned Goldeen and Seaking (even though it wasn't a HM back then). Did you do the Missingno. glitch? That's probably the only plausible cause, since Sparow can only learn fly via HM.

5. Cutty

Cutty Forever now

Are you really sure it used Fly? Hows the animation?

6. PrismaticPrincessAnna

PrismaticPrincessAnna I'll do my Lilliest

I never caught any PKMN that knows an HM move in Gen 1...that's a glitch, nya~