• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Will ALL old characters be retconned out of existence from now on?

Do you think old characters will be retconned out in BW?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Teshub

Banned
Besides the permanents (Ash, Pikachu, Oak, Delia, Gary?, and TR) do you think all the previous characters Ash travelled with will be retconned starting from BW as if they never existed? These include Misty, May, Max, Brock, Dawn and any other minor characters that were encountered. And maybe even Tracey will not longer appear in Oak's lab.

Cybercubed had a similar thread to this but he only talks about the DP cast. I am talking about a huge overhaul for the entire series. With the old cast members not even getting a single mention. But perhaps some tiny "easter egg" type reference.

The writers simply can't waste time keeping track of the old people the accumulated over the years. They could have planned a clean cut from the past for BW onwards. I know this will upset Dawn or Brock fans because they won't get their long waited cameos. But also fans of Misty and others.

I think this is for the best, because I see the BW cast as lacking somewhat. Imagine how much Iris needs to live up to as a promotional tool.
They cannot let the new promotion look pale (no pun intended) in comparison to Dawn (with her Piplup, the large wardrobe and deep relationship with Ash), and other unique things May and Misty brought into into the show. So while reruns may air and old people will be mentioned in DVD collections and such.
Pokemon BW will be like the Yugioh GX/5Ds of the series where the old "universe" is not even taken into consideration except for the core of Ash and Pikachu.

Bubblewrap

No, of course these characters won't be written out entirely. Especially Brock and Dawn. The writers wouldn't just 'erase' them from the show.

Teshub

Banned
No, of course these characters won't be written out entirely. Especially Brock and Dawn. The writers wouldn't just 'erase' them from the show.

From the franchise, they will definitely not be erased. Because nostalgia means $$$. Especially when they release the DVD or Blu-ray of the old episodes and movies.

But when it comes to BW, I don't see them making mention or use of anyone old besides those who are already present on the official BW character list.

Also Brock and Dawn never gave Ash any sort of gift or momento he can carry with him to Isshu. There is really no reason why any of them to appear there. And they never mentioned they would see each other again either in the last DP episode.

Last edited:

Aquadon

TCG Trainer
I swear I saw this thread before. Was the first one deleted?

I think this is for the best, because I see the BW cast as lacking somewhat. Imagine how much Iris needs to live up to as a promotional tool.
They cannot let the new promotion look pale (no pun intended) in comparison to Dawn (with her Piplup, the large wardrobe and deep relationship with Ash), and other unique things May and Misty brought into into the show.

Still sounds like whining still about how BW is. We haven't even seen episodes yet, so how can you jump to that conclusion? Also if Ash and Pikachu are around, Pallet is around, as is the Kanto region. We can't expect cameos out the wazoo (there HAS to be something new), but we'll see them from time to time. Giovanni has a new look, so TR is still around in all its glory.

So no, they're not removed from existence, just shelved FOR NOW. We may see them again sometime down the road. I'd expect if there is ever a finale all the old characters will return when Ash becomes a Pokemon Master.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Brock and Dawn will likely get another appearance in the future. All the rest (except maybe Tracey since he's working with Oak) are gone.

KGB13

Man of Mystery
I don't think they'll completely abandon all the old characters, especially not Brock and Dawn, they'll definitely get their cameos in BW.

pokemon fan 132

First of all where is the poll option for those who are not sure.Nevermind.

Well i hope people are satisfied now.Its pretty obvious how good chunk of fans on this site namely in anime section(of course they are just small minority) dont care about older characters at all not wanting to see them again.

So much about appreciation for previous characters,who helped build the show for what it became and who has lot of things left they could offer for pokemon anime.

However i highly doubt writers will completely write off older characters like they never existed in this show.
As long character stories are unfinished they have reasons to return,and writers through Diamond and Peral series showed how unpredictable they can be breaking fan patterns bringing older characters.

Here are some popular predicions which were breaked down:
-People also thought how Gary will never appear again after being absent for whole Hoenn and majority of BF,returning back to everyones shock in Sinnoh.
-Jessibelle who was absent since first season was brought back in Sinnoh not having any real reason to be used again
-characters like Butch and Cassidy or Jasmine were brought back.
There is more,but i dont feel like typing wall of text just about this.

Now to break each character:
-Misty was part of original trio having iconic status being one of most popular characters in this show with writers giving references to her through all regions and its very unlikely she wil be gone forever.
If that intertview with mr.Hidaka is anyhing to go by,it was confirmed how she wil appear again.
She may not come for a very long time(real shame),but she will definitely return again when writers feel its right time to do so.
-Brock is guaranteed to appear in BW region just like all girls who were replaced beore him did.No need to be exception.
-Dawn,same as Brock
-For May its hard to say at this point but she could be seen somewhere along the road with perhaps writers informing us how Johto GF went.

On a side note:
All this bringiong of new charaters is causing consequence of many previous great character we had being left ignored with their unfinished stories(God knows Mistys story is far from finished with her goal not going anywhere at gym or potential to be progressed more and find more about her and past) and everything they could bring with them.

This is another reason why continuing to replace characters is bad idea in my opinion,needing to be stopped.If writers continue this trend,they will eventually have too many older characters writing themself into the wall.

So instead of bringing new ones after every four years starting everything from scratch to me much better idea would be to continue to work with what you already have developing characters more who already has solid groundwork to work with instead of leaving them behind in past with their stories unfinished.New ones are just giving false sense of being "fresh" not being any better than older characters after 4 years becoming "old" aswell just to be ditched with another in ridiculous cycle of dump and replace.

Result being:satsfying both older and new fans bringing positive result for ratings and show popularity unlike its case now with pokemon having bad reputation when it comes to this subject.

Writers should either start using oder characters again exploiting them more and furthering their stories refeshing them,or create another set of pokemon chronicles to give them some love fixing this problem.

PePer

There is too many old characters, as new ones are still brought in, after BW I expect new characters to be brought in again, sadly older characters will become the casualties of this happening. Writers don't give a f**k.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Teshub, isn't there another poll thread like this one out there too? And shouldn't this be in the poll section? Anyway, my answer is no. There are now so many characters and I think that more is going to come after BW, so it would be a mad house to have everyone together.

Maybe one day, when the show's almost over, Ash might compete in some sort of tournament and it's like huge and stuff, and maybe the old characters all come to cheer him on?

Just throwing that idea out there..

BlueDragonfangirl

Yah, I do think all the characters except Dawn and Brock will be gone for now. I have a feeling even Gary will be done with, maybe Paul coming in his place for a cameo? I think its best though if this is nearly a reboot. I'm looking forward to it.

BlueVapor

They certainly won't appear as much, except Brock and Dawn, who may appear in Isshu, but they won't be written out of the show completely.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
They arent gone, but I do think we're getting less appearences from all of the older characters with the exception of flashbacks, and maybe them watching a league tournament(unless Isshu broadcasting isnt worldwide ^^; ).

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
Nobody's going to be retconned from the show, but cameos from old characters will be few and far between. Which...is basically what DP did. And AG, aside from the Misty mini-arc thrown in for no apparent reason. I really don't see a problem with that, but that's just me and my hatred of the nostalgia goggles half the people around here have welded to their face.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
What's wrong with everyone with wanting to bring back all of old characters? Haven't people got used to this by now? But to answer the question, NO!

Gaiash

Champion Scientist
I see them getting their own appearence in one of the intros like in High Touch. Other than that it really depends.

If Ruby and Sapphire remakes are made two or three episodes with May in would make sense for advertising. Dawn and Brock making similar appearences could also happen.

Even if that isn't the case I don't think this is the last we'll see of Ash's old companions. If the show starts to come to a close and Ash is much closer to being a Pokemon Master I can see all his friends at least having cameos watching his battles on TV.

BlueVapor

Honestly, I don't think it'd be too hard to show each character for a quick second:

Dawn gets an appearance in Isshu
Brock could get an appearance in Isshu, but if not, in Pallet after Isshu
Tracey and Misty could be shown in Pallet after Isshu

And if there's R/S remakes, Ash could go to Hoenn after Isshu, and see Max and maybe May in Petalburg.

And bam, you got everyone, although that would NEVER happen, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.