• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Will ALL old characters be retconned out of existence from now on?

Do you think old characters will be retconned out in BW?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

randomspot555

And if there's R/S remakes, Ash could go to Hoenn after Isshu, and see Max and maybe May in Petalburg.

HG/SS' release showed that the anime doesn't have to do anything in regards to new games. They had that (IMO crappy) Johto festival arc, and that's about it. Platinum also received little attention in the anime, with only Volkner using his Platinum team, oh, and a Zapdos randomly appearing in one episode around the time of Platinum's release.

Paul Ketchum

Remarkable!
With the exception of Paul, Brock, and Dawn, I think all the old characters will be fased out. If you look at all the signs, it's clear that BW will be a rebirth of sorts for the entire franchise, so I think they will want to make as little connection's to past saga's as possible.

BlueVapor

With the exception of Paul, Brock, and Dawn, I think all the old characters will be fased out. If you look at all the signs, it's clear that BW will be a rebirth of sorts for the entire franchise, so I think they will want to make as little connection's to past saga's as possible.

Why would they keep Paul, but fase other characters out?

Paul Ketchum

Remarkable!
Why would they keep Paul, but fase other characters out?

Paul was undoubtedly the best rival the show has seen thus far. I think he was too big and important of a character for them to fase out completely. I'm quite sure he'll get a cameo, or at the very least, a reference in BW.

Gaiash

Champion Scientist
Gary Oak was undoubtedly the best rival the show has seen thus far. I think he was too big and important of a character for them to fase out completely. I'm quite sure he'll get a cameo, or at the very least, a reference in BW.
Fixed. Seriously Gary Oak is a much better rival than Shinji (and I like Shinji).

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.
All these similar threads, random assumptions..... CyberCubed = Teshub??? *Gasp*

Pinsirius

Sentimental Fool ;)
As in beyond a passing reference or watching Ash League battle on TV? No. As in cameos? That's up to the writers, from what little they've said they won't rule that out.

Honestly, the fact that Gary and Oak (U C wat I did thar?) are still recurring characters on this show is encouraging.

Paul Ketchum

Remarkable!
Fixed. Seriously Gary Oak is a much better rival than Shinji (and I like Shinji).

I can't take that statement seriously.

Gary was more like Ash's annoying friend than a rival. They barely battled each other, and the times they did battle could never measure up to the battles Ash had with Paul. Paul also had very good development and growth, which is something you can't honestly say Gary had while he was Ash's rival. We also got to see a lot of Paul's pokemon in action and developing throughout Sinnoh, where most of Gary's pokemon were hidden and rarely seen. Gary and Ash's rivalry also held no weight, Paul's rivalry put Ash's whole training style and beliefs to the test. You'd be a fool to think that Gary was a better rival than Paul, he was virtually better than Gary in every aspect.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Paul was undoubtedly the best rival the show has seen thus far. I think he was too big and important of a character for them to fase out completely. I'm quite sure he'll get a cameo, or at the very least, a reference in BW.

You all need to understand that even though some characters are great, that doesn't mean that the writers are going to keep them on the show forever and not make room for new ones. This goes the same for everyone else. Everyone needs a chance.

pokemon fan 132

May,Misty,Dawn Brock etc are much more popular characters than Paul was and as you can see they didnt returned.Someone who has smaller fanbase and less of importance will have even lower chance to return.

Now its not impossible for Paul to show up(afterall Gary did),but i wouldnt get my hopes up if i were you.

I You'd be a fool to think that Gary was a better rival than Paul, he was virtually better than Gary in every aspect.

People have different opinions and just because you may find Paul being better doesnt mean how others will share the same view as you do.

Both Gary ad Paul were good characters having their up and downs,and it depends on someones personal preference which one he would view as "better".

You all need to understand that even though some characters are great, that doesn't mean that the writers are going to keep them on the show forever and not make room for new ones. This goes the same for everyone else. Everyone needs a chance.

And yet writers dont give every character from games a chance,with several important ones like every playable male protagonist from games being ignored with Brock being choosed over them,girls like Marina or Leaf being ignored etc.
Which is a good thing because if they were to include every one of them place would become too crowded.

Prime example of this is constant girl replacing causing consequence of older ones being neglected,instead of focusing on characters they already have giving them more of chance to be developed being left forgotten.

Paul Ketchum

Remarkable!

I don't understand why you quoted me, I never said anything about keeping Paul on the show forever, just a cameo or reference in BW.

May,Misty,Dawn Brock etc are much more popular characters than Paul was and as you can see they didnt returned.Someone who has smaller fanbase and less of importance will have even lower chance to return.

Now its not impossible for Paul to show up(afterall Gary did),but i wouldnt get my hopes up if i were you.

What are you talking about? May returned in DP, Misty returned in AG, and Brock and Dawn haven't been gone long enough to make a return so you can't really count them. Paul was the most popular character introduced in DP, to say he was less important is just ridiculous. I think the chances of him getting a cameo in BW are high and it's well deserved.

People have different opinions and just because you may find Paul being better doesnt mean how others will share the same view as you do.

Both Gary ad Paul were good characters having their up and downs,and it depends on someones personal preference which one he would view as "better".

I never said it wasn't OK to like Gary, but facts are facts, he was undeniably better than him in every way and to say he wasn't is foolish.

pokemon fan 132

What are you talking about? May returned in DP, Misty returned in AG, and Brock and Dawn haven't been gone long enough to make a return so you can't really count them.

I was talkin about current saga(DP)in which some older characters didnt returned and judging by this same faith is expecting others like May too in future region.

Paul was the most popular character introduced in DP, to say he was less important is just ridiculous. I think the chances of him getting a cameo in BW are high and it's well deserved.

Correction,most popular characters in DP were Ash,Dawn and even Brock.Both past and current protagoinists like Ash,May,Misty,Dawn etc has much bigger fanbase scoring higher popularity than characters like rivals do.

I never said it wasn't OK to like Gary, but facts are facts, he was undeniably better than him in every way and to say he wasn't is foolish.

No,those are called opinons.Paul may gave been handled better than Gary plotwise,getting more development and such but when it comes to character personalities,their pokemon and style of battling everything is based on individual subjective opinion with people deciding who will be more appealing to them.

Last edited:

Paul Ketchum

Remarkable!
I was talkin about current saga(DP)in which some older characters didnt returned and judging by this same faith is expecting others like May too in future region.

I can't understand what you're trying to say here, can you rephrase this?

Correction,most popular characters in DP were Ash,Dawn and even Brock.Both past and current protagoinists like Ash,May,Misty,Dawn etc has much bigger fanbase scoring higher popularity than characters like rivals do.

I don't know how you're calculating the popularity of these characters, but Brock was most definitely not as popular as Paul was in DP. Not even close.

No,those are called opinons.Paul may gave been handled better than Gary plotwise,getting more development and such but when it comes to character personalities,their pokemon and style of battling everything is based on individual subjective opinion with people deciding who will be more appealing to them.

It's a fact that Paul was handled better than Gary and succeeded him in every field as a rival. Whether someone agrees or not doesn't change that, if you're knowledgeable about both characters, it's clear to see.

pokemon fan 132

I can't understand what you're trying to say here, can you rephrase this?

What im basically saying is,that if characters who holded more of importance in past like May,Misty,Dawn etc dont return chances for rivals like Paul returning back are even smaller.

I don't know how you're calculating the popularity of these characters, but Brock was most definitely not as popular as Paul was in DP. Not even close.

Generally speaking going from days when pokemon started to nowdays Brock aquired bigger fanbase than Paul did.Im not necessarily talking just about DP but whole series and both older and new fans in general.

It's a fact that Paul was handled better than Gary and succeeded him in every field as a rival. Whether someone agrees or not doesn't change that, if you're knowledgeable about both characters, it's clear to see.

The only fact in here is that Paul was better developed as character than Gary was.Who among them is more interesting and "better" is matter of opinion.

Paul Ketchum

Remarkable!
What im basically saying is,that if characters who holded more of importance in past like May,Misty,Dawn etc dont return chances for rivals like Paul returning back are even smaller.

But the difference is that Paul is only from the previous saga along with Dawn. May will be 2 saga's behind BW and Misty will be 3, and based on that, their chances of reappearing are extremely low, where as Paul and Dawns are high because they're not that old.

Generally speaking going from days when pokemon started to nowdays Brock aquired bigger fanbase than Paul did.Im not necessarily talking just about DP but whole series and both older and new fans in general.

If anything, Brock's popularity has dwindled over the years. His inactivity over the last few years has been so unbearable to watch that most viewers wanted him off the show. Although I liked Brock, his years of doing next to nothing garnered him very negative attention from the fandom. Yes, he was a memorable and somewhat respected character, but let's not pretend that his absence will cause any huge rifts in the anime's popularity. If you were to get a general consensus from every serious viewer of the show, I think you will find that Paul was a lot more popular than Brock ever was.

The only fact in here is that Paul was better developed as character than Gary was.Who among them is more interesting and "better" is matter of opinion.

Paul being better developed DOES make him better than Gary, there's no other way to cut it. Who's more interesting is a matter of opinion.

pokemon fan 132

But the difference is that Paul is only from the previous saga along with Dawn. May will be 2 saga's behind BW and Misty will be 3, and based on that, their chances of reappearing are extremely low, where as Paul and Dawns are high because they're not that old.

True but you cant compare his level of importance with female protagonists.If anything Dawn or any other girl has bigger chance of coming back than Paul.For example in Hoenn,Misty was brought back with Gary being completely ignored since end of Battle Frontier.

Also character being old doesnt determine his chances of appearing or coming back which was proved by several appearances of many old characters like Gary,Jessibelle from Kanto,Butch and Cassidy etc in DP.

If anything, Brock's popularity has dwindled over the years. His inactivity over the last few years has been so unbearable to watch that most viewers wanted him off the show. Although I liked Brock, his years of doing next to nothing garnered him very negative attention from the fandom. Yes, he was a memorable and somewhat respected character, but let's not pretend that his absence will cause any huge rifts in the anime's popularity. If you were to get a general consensus from every serious viewer of the show, I think you will find that Paul was a lot more popular than Brock ever was.

Brock as character still has fairly big and respectable fanbase.Maybe around here this doesnt seem like its case,but going outside it you can encounter many of his fans on other sites and in real life.
You also need to take into account how good chunk of Brock fans dont even watch this show anymore for various reasons,so when we take in equation whole fanbase he is more popular than Paul was.

Paul being better developed DOES make him better than Gary, there's no other way to cut it. Who's more interesting is a matter of opinion.

Someone getting more development doesnt make him better character.Plotwise yes he was beter handled,but in terms of character(his personality,ambitions,style)noone was better objectively speaking.

Paul Ketchum

Remarkable!
True but you cant compare his level of importance with female protagonists.If anything Dawn or any other girl has bigger chance of coming back than Paul.For example in Hoenn,Misty was brought back with Gary being completely ignored since end of Battle Frontier.

But that's because May and Misty effected the plot of their respective saga's more than any other character outside of Ash. DP was the first time we got a Rival/Character that was of great importance, vastly effected the plot of the entire saga, and was completely independent of Ash & Co. So I think his chances of returning are just as good if not better than the previous female co-stars.

Also character being old doesnt determine his chances of appearing or coming back which was proved by several appearances of many old characters like Gary,Jessibelle from Kanto,Butch and Cassidy etc in DP.

They were purely brought in again by the desire of the writers, not because of their importance or popularity. If they didn't appear in DP it wouldn't have made much of a difference because they hardly effected the saga's they were introduced in. Paul's importance and popularity alone earn him a cameo.

Brock as character still has fairly big and respectable fanbase.Maybe around here this doesnt seem like its case,but going outside it you can encounter many of his fans on other sites and in real life.
You also need to take into account how good chunk of Brock fans dont even watch this show anymore for various reasons,so when we take in equation whole fanbase he is more popular than Paul was.

Maybe in the past before Paul was introduced, but he is no way more popular than Paul now. You can't count a fan base of people who haven't been keeping up with the series since AG or prior because their not even aware of Paul and know nothing about him to even make a comparison between him and Brock.

Someone getting more development doesnt make him better character.Plotwise yes he was beter handled,but in terms of character(his personality,ambitions,style)noone was better objectively speaking.

His personality, ambitions, and style compared to Gary's are all a matter of opinion. But the fact of the matter is he was a better handled and better developed character than Gary was, and those are the only things that can factually and comparatively determine whether a character is better than another.

BlueVapor

I think the username and signature answer that question.

Ha, ha, yeah.

And honestly, I have a feeling NO old characters will appear in Isshu, except maybe Dawn.

Paul just really has no point in returning, imo, except for the sake of returning. He was a rival, and that's it, it's not like he was a traveling companion.

Status
Not open for further replies.