• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Will ALL old characters be retconned out of existence from now on?

Do you think old characters will be retconned out in BW?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fa7e

Holy **** i just typed out this whole thing and my computer messed up, awsome
ill try to make it shorter

no something old and boring would be like getting a new girl over and over ( what they are doing ) it might not be boring to some of you now but i bet if the show keeps going on for a while you would be like wow this is gay and like to see an old character again for once
something new would be bringing back an old character with a changed personality and new goals

havent you ever seen any shows were old characters come back you havent seen in a while and its not old and boring its usually shocking and exciting :)
and it think after Iris would be a perfect time to bring misty back because Iris is a gym leader like misty and they will probablly handle her better because they got better with the show, so after her they would be ready and have some ideas i think

Last edited:

zeno48

Zaker!
I hope so, old characters like Misty or Max do not need to make an actual appearance. Like the saying goes, "out with the old and in with the new".

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
The fact that Iris has the same role Misty did, only with dragon Pokemon in place of water Pokemon, implies that she is what the writers are going to do that they didn't with Misty.

Paul Ketchum

Remarkable!
Even if they find out about new character it wouldnt play much of difference either.If anything it would serve as bridge giving connection to older seasons with audience giving it a chance due to lack of knowleadge about certain character being given oppirtunity to learn about him without watching 600+ past episodes following further progress.Ash and Brock,including Team Rocket are old characters too with new generations of kids not having any problems with them.

As long show catches their interest,they wont mind who is in it.

If they dont know about him,it woudnt be any different than bringing new character.Simple as that.
If they do know about him,it wouldnt be any diferent than same kind of reintroduction Ash or TR are passing through by entering new sagas with time required for explanation behind return not taking any more than few min. or max 1 episode.

Of course it would make a difference, are you serious? Old characters have a bunch of things attached to them, like old pokemon for example, that newer fans may not appreciate. A new character can be built from the ground up to cater to new fans and would be a lot easier for new fans to follow instead of the writers having to make a bridge for old characters to cross.

What is factual regarding older fanbase is how certain number of them would return to show if certain older characters were to return which would seve as boost for ratings.

In case you think this is assumption too,you can always check statements of people who signed petitions or do some research through forums to see what is general consensuz among people regarding some subjects.

It is an assumption, no matter how many statements, petitions, and forums you see in agreement to your statement, you'll never be able to accurately gauge the views of the fraction of older fans.

Kotone

So why are you here? Just to troll?

You can't possibly be stupid enough to wonder why the show went on for nearly 10 seasons after Misty left if that were the case.

Wow cybercubed calling me a troll? ironic........ oh and by the way. "YOU" can't possibly be stupid enough to wonder why after misty left the show the amount of dissatisfied fan numbers rocketed sky high. It's not a personal opinion it's a fact. You would not believe the amount of people who agrees that the old pokemon was he best. So it would be best to restore a bit of what a lot of people would want. So they can make even more money. Yes the show went on nearly 10 seasons after Misty but that's thanks to what the old pokemon did. They are just eating their popularity now. If it was sucky it would be like some random anime like bakugan which isn't very popular. It is so easy to see that the pokemon anime now is like any other anime (nowadays things like naruto and bleach are more wanted.) whereas back in the days it had it's own monopoly. The best thing. Out of ordinary. Top dog. Everyones love. Even if you go and ask someone who never had any interested in pokemon about pokemon the most likely answer you will get is : Pikachu and that kid named Ash , also there was that dark boy and that orange haired girl. It's also generic. Now I'm no saying I hate the new stuff. I like pokemon such as swellow or sceptile but they've changed it too much. I admire dragonball for keeping almost the same style throughout their sagas even though Akira Toriyama didn't have any doing in dragonball GT

pokemon fan 132

I hope so, old characters like Misty or Max do not need to make an actual appearance. Like the saying goes, "out with the old and in with the new".

As long someones story is unfinished and as long he has room to be developed further,aswell being popular he has reasons to make a comeback.

Speaking of saying,thats not always best way.

Of course it would make a difference, are you serious? Old characters have a bunch of things attached to them, like old pokemon for example, that newer fans may not appreciate.

First whether character regardless of being new or old will be appealing or not to somene is matter of opinion.Some will appreciate him,some wont,same goes for any new character,you cant please everyone.Thats impossible goal.
Even Ash who is arguably the most popular character in this show has good chunk of haters in this fanbase.

Talking about older pokemon,majority of older ones would be probably left at home aside from one or two like Ash does to make room for new pokemon with purpose of advertizing new pokemon from current region in case she is brought back to cast.
Talking about connections to past,so far Ash,Team Rocket or Brock had many connections to past but that didnt botherd new fans so thats hardly a problem.On contrary young kids probably appreciated to see some of Ash old pokemon and past experiences he had through flashbacks,liking that they were given opportunity to get know about him.

A new character can be built from the ground up to cater to new fans and would be a lot easier for new fans to follow instead of the writers having to make a bridge for old characters to cross.

And new character can fail not scoring popularity among fandom.Someone older who was and still is very popular is a proven thing of being succesfull considering he already scored this before,and there is advantage and privilege which older character has over new one.
When you inroduce new character everything has to be builded up from scratch not having any helpful guidelines which would point you toward right direction.Older characters who were already halfway developed has solid groundwork with writers having easier job on just picking up on where they stopped continuing further progress with him,with connection to past being solved in same way they are doing in Ash or TR case for example,with new fans not having problems of following them.

It is an assumption, no matter how many statements, petitions, and forums you see in agreement to your statement, you'll never be able to accurately gauge the views of the fraction of older fans.

What is factual is how based on statements,petitions etc there is certain number of people(exact percentage is unown) who would return to show,and that number is not small at all.
Before you try to deny check.Also its interesting how whenever someone older and popular like Misty or May makes cameo TV ratings increase(which can be checked on any website which lists them),what does this tell you?

Last edited:

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Misty's story IS finished. No? The same you can say about Brock, Gary, J, etc. They all "didn't want" to be what they are now, but the writers decided to make them to be something else than what it seemed like from the beginning, to end the plot with them. Gary never wanted to be a researcher and now he is, this always was related to Oak. Brock did show some knowledge about being a doctor but he wanted to be a breeder. So his story is "unfinished"? The same with Misty, she never said she wants to be a gym leader but this was related to her at some points in the show, in the first battle of her vs Ash in the gym she was like a gym leader. (when she used Staryu and Starmie)

They even showed parts with her in the gym in the pokemon Chronicles to prove how much she was happy with her new goal. She was even pretty pleased with her work and I pretty sure the writers have shown it to prove to fans that her story has finished well.

pokemon fan 132

Misty's story IS finished. No? The same you can say about Brock, Gary, J, etc. They all "didn't want" to be what they are now, but the writers decided to make them to be something else than what it seemed like from the beginning, to end the plot with them. Gary never wanted to be a researcher and now he is, this always was related to Oak. Brock did show some knowledge about being a doctor but he wanted to be a breeder. So his story is "unfinished"? The same with Misty, she never said she wants to be a gym leader but this was related to her at some points in the show, in the first battle of her vs Ash in the gym she was like a gym leader. (when she used Staryu and Starmie)

First Brocks example is invalid because being doctor has many connections with his goal of breeding still taking care of pokemon,keeping them in good shape(something which breeders do),with Brock realizing how becoming doctor will push him forward being basically follow up of his previous goal.

There is one big difference between Misty and above mentioned characters.They wanted to change their carreers with change coming in characters expressing their desire to do so while to Misty gym was brought to her against her will never expressing any desire to go back to it,only picking up on it because of being left with no choice.Becoming something out of obligation,staying there because of obligation is NOT a closure,with her story being left open.

If Mistys on her own decided to become gym leader than yes we could say how she "changed her goal",but it wasnt.Not even once she expressed desire to go back to it until she didnt had a choice but to take up responsibillities,wanting to continue travelling with her goal of becoming water pokemon master not receiving resolution or at least being writen of in a way which would seve as indication that she is coming closer toward it.
Her departure was the most random so far with no foreshadowing,with gym stepping in as excuse in last moment,with nothing going for her receiving any end.

So no in this case this doesnt qualify as "change of goals" with real goal still hanging up in the air considering she didnt showed in any way that she gave up on it.

They even showed parts with her in the gym in the pokemon Chronicles to prove how much she was happy with her new goal. She was even pretty pleased with her work and I pretty sure the writers have shown it to prove to fans that her story has finished well.

At same time they showed her being dissapointed with gym leader place and sisters incompetence with said character stating how she has no choice but to stay there serving as indication how her original goal has not been changed.
Of course Misty was showed happy(why would she cry or anything) but at same time she was also sad with current position,with joy coming of her character being glad that she proved to sisters how they can be proud of her taking care of things in good manner while theyre gone,with reason why she stayed being noone having to rely on,not because she wanted with sisters return desire to leave gym being brought in again through hints.

Lets go step by step:
In "Cerulean Blues" Misty was showed happy when she passed gym leader inspection test,but this was more a sign of her strenght and independabillity to prove her sisters that she isnt "useless runt",than anything else.
-In "Blue Badge of Courage" and "A Date With Delcatty" Misty was showed dissapointed by being at gym aswell complaining about her sisters having to do everything by herself being always at gym,at end of episode stating how "her sisters are useless,having no choice but to stay there doing her best"(in original Japanese version) which serves as indication how main reason she became gym leader and stayed was sisters incompetence,not because she wanted with her not giving up on her original goal viewing gym as job.
-further proof of sisters incompetence being main reason behind stay was showed during her first visit in Hoenn,when she was leaving group,stating how shes glad being with her friends again but is planning to go back to help her sisters,just so that further incompetence of them was followed up with second cameo she made in "Real Cleffa Hanger" where her sisters rushed her home with Misty being dissapointed with their irresponsibillity not having anyone to rely on delaying her return.

THing is that writers left things unclesar in Mistys case.She became gym leader out of obligation,with reasoning behind stay being because of side elements(her sisters) implying couple of times desire to leave this place with gymleader thing viewing more like job than her real goal of becoming best with water types which she put on hold.Way in which they portrayed situation means Mistys story was left unfinished with no indication that she gave up on goal being provided ,with said character still having that competitive desire to become best with one type which is basically what water master thing is all about,with said place holding her back.

At this point things can go in two possible ways:-Either Misty decides how gym is enough or decides eventually to leave this position(like Wallace for example did)to pursue her own dreams after issue about gym gets resolved by finding responsible substitute.

When either of those things happen than yes we can say how she received closure but with current state of things,said character story is left open.

Last edited:

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
People need to understand that even though Ash does meet and travel with other characters, it's really Ash who's story really matters. If this wasn't the case than all of the characters who ever been on Pokemon would have mini marathon episodes describing where and what they are doing at all times. I know we want to somethimes know about other character's stories, but when it all comes down to it, it's really Ash who matters.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Wow cybercubed calling me a troll? ironic........ oh and by the way. "YOU" can't possibly be stupid enough to wonder why after misty left the show the amount of dissatisfied fan numbers rocketed sky high. It's not a personal opinion it's a fact. You would not believe the amount of people who agrees that the old pokemon was he best.

You really are delusional. You're the perfect example of a whiny fan who has no idea what they're talking about.

But that's OK. Sit there saying the same thing over and over. The rest of us will just sit back and smile.

I honestly don't think someone can be stupid enough to think everyone watches Pokemon for Misty. LMAO.

I think it's safe to say ANYBODY who actually believes Misty OR ANY OLD character will come back is delusional and most likely a troll who isn't aware of it yet. Especially the ones who will openly admit it in every post.

And not knowing you may be a big troll, is kind of sad. ):

BlueVapor

I think it's safe to say ANYBODY who actually believes Misty OR ANY OLD character will come back is delusional and most likely a troll who isn't aware of it yet. Especially the ones who will openly admit it in every post.

And not knowing you may be a big troll, is kind of sad. ):

Come back as in: appear for a couple episodes, then leave?
Or come back as in: join the main cast again?

'Cuz I believe any old character can appear for a couple episodes, but not to join the main cast again.

Come back as in: appear for a couple episodes, then leave?
Or come back as in: join the main cast again?

'Cuz I believe any old character can appear for a couple episodes, but not to join the main cast again.

More of the latter of course.
But at this point, even just appearing is not worth wishing for (I can MAYBE see a screenshot memory of them when it's really needed) but other than that, nobody important really cares.

pokemon fan 132

You really are delusional. You're the perfect example of a whiny fan who has no idea what they're talking about.

Before you start calling people delusional,than what to say about you.Statements of "writers favorizing May,hating Johto deliberately avoiding it" etc are not that far from this statement either.

EDIT:Also you should really do some research because demand for Mistys return is huge,and original trio is one of most popular groups in history of this show.Also Kotone brings interesting point,whoever i meet in real life and mention pokemon to him,even if he didnt watched it will know about original trio but about new characters not so much.That shows how much of impact they left.

So let me guess anyone who want older characters back to see what has been happening with them in mean time,or wants them back as main because they enjoyed in show more with them arond wanting that their stories gets finished being developed more is troll???

I for once admit how i wouldnt mind at all having someone older back having many interesting things to do with them instead of going through endless repetitive scenary of bringing new ones after every 4 years while many great past ones are left ignored with their stories never metting closure(like Misty or Max who didnt had much of story to begin with).

Does that make me or anyone who shares same opinion a troll?No,it just happens that not everyone are thrilled with current formula and way in which things are in this anime being played out.

Last edited:

Encyclopika

The Queen
I'm not going to post here and try to tell you to stop fighting because even I know that's pointless. So I'm gonna close it and hope that leaves a bigger impression.

//CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.