• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Will anyone breed Pokémon for there playthru?

NidokingJ

Addicted2Pokemon
A few gens ago I actually traded a full team for my in game play thru, and I plan to do something similar this time, I usually go with my favorite / powerful Pokémon but this time I want to use some of the Pokémon I rarely see any play. For instance I want to use a mightyena on my playthru.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
I will probably do a little breeding depending on how early in the game the Daycare is available.

NidokingJ

Addicted2Pokemon
I will probably do a little breeding depending on how early in the game the Daycare is available.
I mean like trading over from pokebank probably breed them now then hopefully you would be able to trade early in the game. If not no worries but I like to min/max my pokes so I will probably end up catching everything but playing only pokes that I’ve bred like a level 5 poochyena traded over at the first pokecenter etc. would be so cool to have a full squad to level up with in my playthru.

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
I did pretty much the same in Alpha Sapphire and Ultra Sun, where I bred all the members of my team on a different version (Y and Moon, respectively.) I wanted to hatch them in the intended versions so that they would actually be born and raised entirely from those games. In Y and Moon, I made sure that they had good IVs by saving before each set of eggs hatched, and I used the IV checker to make sure. For EV training, I was fortunate that Super Training and Poké Pelago existed. After hatching in AS and US, I traded them back to Y and Moon to do it. I admit I put myself through more of a hassle that way, but it was definitely worth it in being able to go through an entire game with your “perfect Pokémon.”

Usually for the first pair of generation games though, I only tend to play through with brand new Pokémon. So for Sword/Shield, I would just catch and train regularly without considering IVs and EVs.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
When the first installment of next generation series release, PokéBank requires time to update which is approximately a month after. Fairly certain it is no exception that you can neither breed nor transfer old Pokémon to SW/SH until you complete the game, except the ones available to you in-game.

JohnLynch

I'm pretty sure you cant, but even if you could, I wont. I like my team to arise organically by catching pokemon. This way I get a mix of old and new.

Orphalesion

No.

I rather use the Pokemon, especially the new ones that are catchable in the game.

DSDark

Breeder
I mean like trading over from pokebank probably breed them now then hopefully you would be able to trade early in the game. If not no worries but I like to min/max my pokes so I will probably end up catching everything but playing only pokes that I’ve bred like a level 5 poochyena traded over at the first pokecenter etc. would be so cool to have a full squad to level up with in my playthru.

The option to bring over old Pokemon won't be available at launch.

The bank wasn't launched for xy until three months after release. The bank wasn't updated for sm at launch.

So give it a few months and then the bank will be up for SwSh. Think January 2020

SoulRebel726

I'm actually doing this right now in UM, but I definitely won't for a first run in SwSh. As fun as it is conceptually, I'm just curb stomping every trainer in my path. Any semblance of a challenge is gone. Plus, I find it more fun to experience a new region by growing your team more organically. I might do something like that if a third version comes out or something though.

Sarefan

Hylden General.
No, I only use the new Pokémon that are introduced in the gen. Ever since Gen 4 I've picked my team from even before the games were released.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Only reason I would is if I want a Pokèmon that’s too far into the game to use enough (most likely a pseudo)

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
Probably not, I would like to try my hand at using the new Pokémon. It may not be an option if Sword/Shield does not have Poke Bank support from day one (assuming you are breeding stuff from previous games).

NidokingJ

Addicted2Pokemon
I did pretty much the same in Alpha Sapphire and Ultra Sun, where I bred all the members of my team on a different version (Y and Moon, respectively.) I wanted to hatch them in the intended versions so that they would actually be born and raised entirely from those games. In Y and Moon, I made sure that they had good IVs by saving before each set of eggs hatched, and I used the IV checker to make sure. For EV training, I was fortunate that Super Training and Poké Pelago existed. After hatching in AS and US, I traded them back to Y and Moon to do it. I admit I put myself through more of a hassle that way, but it was definitely worth it in being able to go through an entire game with your “perfect Pokémon.”

Usually for the first pair of generation games though, I only tend to play through with brand new Pokémon. So for Sword/Shield, I would just catch and train regularly without considering IVs and EVs.
Makes sense I will probably do this too from all this feedback convincing me

NidokingJ

Addicted2Pokemon
When the first installment of next generation series release, PokéBank requires time to update which is approximately a month after. Fairly certain it is no exception that you can neither breed nor transfer old Pokémon to SW/SH until you complete the game, except the ones available to you in-game.
Aw man well there goes my hopes and dreams lol, maybe the next iteration of the games like ultra shield and ultra sword lol

NidokingJ

Addicted2Pokemon
I'm pretty sure you cant, but even if you could, I wont. I like my team to arise organically by catching pokemon. This way I get a mix of old and new.
Yeah I guess this will be the way to go for me as well, at least it will be fun being gen 8

NidokingJ

Addicted2Pokemon
No, I only use the new Pokémon that are introduced in the gen. Ever since Gen 4 I've picked my team from even before the games were released.
When you pick your team do you use any other mins in your way to catch the later game mins u wish to add?

NidokingJ

Addicted2Pokemon
Probably not, I would like to try my hand at using the new Pokémon. It may not be an option if Sword/Shield does not have Poke Bank support from day one (assuming you are breeding stuff from previous games).
Yeah I thought it would be a problem too since it is on the switch and all. Oh well growing organic gen 8 mons should be just as fun, maybe my second playthru!

Steelcry

Mew Guardian
As someone who is very picky with my set up now days. (because if a just go willy nilly I end up with a bad team that ends up failing horrible at the championships done this more times then I would like to admit and end up restarting because of it) I like to see all the pokemon in the new games I then pick up my favorites learn their moves and typing and build my team from there. Now in sun and moon I had a hard time picking my team because I wanted to use the new Alola forms of Gen 1 but none of them fit in with my team structure. I ended up using Litten as my Starter, Rockruff, Dewpider, Salandit and I traded fairly early on for my Mimikyu and a shiny Rowlet which I will be forever grateful for.

Anyways, I fully intend to use a team of just this gens new pokemon or at least the ones in game but if I find out that I don't have a full team that I like I will be waiting for bank before I get too far into the game to trade over some old favorites. However, until we see some new pokemon I will making up teams from old gen pokemon basing them around the Gen 8 starters. Its more to help pass the time, and this way if I end up with a second game I will most likely use one of these teams. Having skipped over the Ultra games I would love to have a Dusk Lycanroc on my team this time around but like I said I will try to build a team of new pokemon only at first and fill in the holes if there are any with past gens.

I've learned that even if I don't like a pokemon at first I may end up loving it in the end. Like back in gen 3 I disliked all of the starters and just ended up picking Mudkip because I needed a water type on my team... I named him Tankro, by the end of the game he was my tank and I loved him. Same thing happened with Litten, I was dreading the day when I would have to let him evo into Incineroar but by the end of the game I loved him just like Tankro. Now the two are my big brutes that kick butt and sit right beside all my other favorite pokemon.

I'm honestly hoping to be able to trade early on again like in sun and moon so I can get one of other starters or a pokemon that is only reach able in late game. I did that for my X game I wanted Noibat I ended up trading for one and breeding myself a baby so I could raise it. I really do hate when I love a late game pokemon.