• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Will Ash ever get Mega Evolution?

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I am not going to say yes or no either way -- I want to hear y'all's thoughts on that.

What I will offer is a suggestion on how it could happen if it does:

It could happen between the eighth gym and the League (in a future generation that has gyms again) that there's a Korrina-like arc for Ash and one of his Pokémon (Charizard, Sceptile, Heracross, or Glalie) that happens after he brings back reserves to train for the League.

There's definitely time between the eighth gym and the League for such an arc because all the leagues except Sinnoh and Kalos have had a massive gap after the eighth gym.

Indigo League: 10 episodes
Johto League: 10 episodes (Larvitar arc)
Hoenn League: 13 episodes (May's fifth ribbon and Grand Festival)
Unova League: 18 episodes (Dawn return, Meloetta arc, Opelucid City)

As you can see, there's clearly enough time for Ash to have a Mega Evolution arc with one of his Pokémon between the eighth gym and League if he brings back his reserves to train for the League (like An Old Family Blend!) but for multiple episodes.

Anyway, this is just my thoughts on what could happen IF it happens..I want to know whether y'all think it will or not (not just my idea -- but in general will Ash ever get it)

Spyro39

Mega Evolutions may still exist in Alola, but they're not the main feature anymore. The primary feature right now are Z-Crystals and Z-Moves. Because of this, I don't think there's going to be an arc in SM where Ash is going to receive a Keystone and a Mega Stone.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
I was also hoping that Ash will get a Mega Evolution in XY with his Charizard coming back. But after seeing Ash-Greninja, I forgot all that. It was just awesome! Ash becoming morphed into one with a Pokemon, becoming synched in body and mind, through their incredible bond and trust, sharing his feelings with the Pokemon. It was much better than any Mega Evolution in my opinion. But I would like it if Ash gets a Mega Evolution later on, especially Charizard. But that's very unlikely.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Mega Evolution is so last season. He probably won't end up having one.

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
I don't see it happening. I even doubt that we will ever see Mega Evolutions in the anime and I think the same about the Z-Moves when the Sun and Moon series ends.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
They didn't take advantage of them when they were hot topic, I doubt they will take advantage of them again. Maybe when Gen 6 gets a remake in 2029 or something

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
I thought Greninja was the whole point of Ash not having a Mega.

In Alola, I highly doubt Mega Evolution will play a part. Maybe in the League. But they'll be Worfed to showcase how powerful Z moves are.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
Since Sun & Moon shifted the focus to Z-Moves (which the writers ALLOWED Ash to have, yet can't have a Mega?) we will likely not be seeing Mega Evolutions again for probably a very long time since the anime always likes to focus on what is the new major game mechanic of the generation.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
I can see Megas returning but like in the BW anime later on. I don't see Megas ever really leaving just a lot less focus. I mean who is to say Megas won't return in the next game which could still be Gen 7 for example) I feel between the too Megas have more of a chance to return than Z moves but that could just be me. As for Ash getting it who knows. I'd be cool if they do DP remakes and he brings back a Sinnoh mon who gets it. MegaTorterra who becomes grass/fighting and stands on two legs would be fine with me.

Last edited:

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
Now that A-G is not in his possession anymore, I hope he gets MCX.

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
Now that A-G is not in his possession anymore, I hope he gets MCX.

Nah, we already had Red's and Alain's MCX. This particular evolution has been milked as hell compared to the other Megas. Let Ash get Charizardite Y if he is going to evolve it since it received such an awful treatment.

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
He didn't get it in Kalos, and now they're yesterday's news. There's really no reason at all to expect him to be able to Mega Evolve in the future.

Nah, we already had Red's and Alain's MCX. This particular evolution has been milked as hell compared to the other Megas. Let Ash get Charizardite Y if he is going to evolve it since it received such an awful treatment.

But Charizard X is infinitely cooler than Charizard Y...

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
As of right now, very unlikely, since Mega Evolution was gen 6's big thing, and although they still exist, they've been given the shaft mostly and they are now focusing on gen 7's big thing, which is Z moves.

Besides, his Greninja was pretty much a cop out for him not getting a Mega. Why would they give him a Mega when he had a "special" frog?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Why should it be Charizard who mega evolves? Ash has other pokémon that can do it, like Pidgeot.

Not that I think Ash will ever get the ability to Mega Evolve, but if he does, the most likely candidate would be Charizard. It's not only the most popular of his Pokemon, next to Pikachu of course, but it is perhaps the one he has the strongest bond with and most story with, once again, aside from Pikachu. So from both an in-universe and out-of-universe perspective, Charizard is the logical choice. Also, he released Pidgeot, so I'm not sure why you bring that one up of all things.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Everybody is talking about how Megas are yesterday's news, and I sadly have to agree with y'all that it's not likely. However, that's why I brought up post-Gym8 (in a future gen that goes back to Gyms) in my initial post because post-Gym8 is kind of anything goes. Remember how Phanpy and Cyndaquil evolved even though they too were "yesterday's news"?

Why should it be Charizard who mega evolves? Ash has other pokémon that can do it, like Pidgeot.

Ash released Pidgeot. However, in my initial post I listed Ash's 4 Pokémon that can Mega-Evolve.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Everybody is talking about how Megas are yesterday's news, and I sadly have to agree with y'all that it's not likely. However, that's why I brought up post-Gym8 (in a future gen that goes back to Gyms) in my initial post because post-Gym8 is kind of anything goes. Remember how Phanpy and Cyndaquil evolved even though they too were "yesterday's news"?

Here's the thing though. The show is little more than an advertisement for the games. They would give Ash access to Mega Evolution as a way to advertise Mega Evolution in the games. Mega Evolution was very much the hot topic of Gen VI, and if they chose not to have Ash Mega Evolve then in order to advertise it, there's little reason for him to ever do it in the future. This is different from Ash not evolving his Pokemon in the region he caught them, as it's simply a choice for the story of the show. Unlike Mega Evolution, Ash using his old Pokemon again isn't anything that unusual, because they're intrinsically linked to a previous generation, at least to the degree that Mega Evolution is. If I'm not making any sense, the point I'm trying to make is that Mega Evolutions are not just simple Pokemon that can reappear for no reason. They need more of a justification, and no future generation will have more of a justification than Gen VI did.

Admittedly, there are possible exceptions, such as when the remakes to X and Y come out, or perhaps if a new generation gets a story that revolves around Mega Evolution, but outside of those circumstances, it's just not going to happen.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Here's the thing though. The show is little more than an advertisement for the games. They would give Ash access to Mega Evolution as a way to advertise Mega Evolution in the games. Mega Evolution was very much the hot topic of Gen VI, and if they chose not to have Ash Mega Evolve then in order to advertise it, there's little reason for him to ever do it in the future. This is different from Ash not evolving his Pokemon in the region he caught them, as it's simply a choice for the story of the show. Unlike Mega Evolution, Ash using his old Pokemon again isn't anything that unusual, because they're intrinsically linked to a previous generation, at least to the degree that Mega Evolution is. If I'm not making any sense, the point I'm trying to make is that Mega Evolutions are not just simple Pokemon that can reappear for no reason. They need more of a justification, and no future generation will have more of a justification than Gen VI did.

Admittedly, there are possible exceptions, such as when the remakes to X and Y come out, or perhaps if a new generation gets a story that revolves around Mega Evolution, but outside of those circumstances, it's just not going to happen.

They kind of had something similar to Mega Evolution in Ash Greninja. I'm wondering why they did that instead of a mega

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
They kind of had something similar to Mega Evolution in Ash Greninja. I'm wondering why they did that instead of a mega

My guess is that Ash-Greninja was easy for them to get rid of once Ash left Kalos, as it was only one Pokemon. If Ash had obtained a Key Stone and learned how to Mega Evolve, then in every future generation where he uses a Pokemon that can Mega Evolve, people would expect him to Mega Evolve it.