• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Will Ash Use Reserves for the Kalos League?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
20th Anniversary League? They damn well better bring back the old crew. lol.

At the same time, I think the League really needs to be big enough to accommodate that. I mean it was kinda cool in Sinnoh, but we didn't get to see that much considering how many Pokemon Ash has to call back. Sceptile, Quilava, and Heracross were the most noteworthy appearances. But Torkoal, Donphan and Swellow got REKT, Snorlax and two unknowns battled off-screen, and Noctowl won a match, I guess?

Last edited:

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
if Boldore ever comes back, it better evolve cause I do not like what they said about Gigalith.

Besides Ash does do better when he uses his reserves anyway, and has already made five captures this region (Goodra does count) and with Noivern coming and having to work on Greninja more, and the TF stuff Ash is going to have enough on his hands

*Frank*

if Boldore ever comes back, it better evolve cause I do not like what they said about Gigalith.

Considering that Jessie's Gourgeist evolved through trade, I wonder if the transfer from Professor Oak to Ash will trigger evolution? Nah

He probably will use his reserves even though this series is sort of parallel to AG somehow. I'm certain that the writers have realized the ridiculous amount of birds in his team. As you all may have noticed, 3/5 of his team is weak to Electric. Inb4 "But this is Ash! He doesn't care about type advantages!" Um yeah,but I'm talking about the writers' point of view here.

Grey Wind

I'd lean towards no. I think we'll probably end up with a post-league arc and his reserves will start reappearing then. XY is the new AG and all.

If he is using reserves, I honestly find it kind of hard to care about some of the BW Pokemon. The starters, Scraggy and Krookodile are the only ones that aren't kind of forgettable TBH, and it frustrated me in BW when we'd see the likes of Snivy and Oshawott showing tons of personality in random episodes but have virtually no presence battle wise. I'd prefer seeing those two finally getting to do something in battle over watching Boldore or Palpitoad.

Other than that, I think everyone wants Torterra to get some redemption. Also wouldn't mind seeing Glalie, Bayleef, Corphish or Bulbasaur again.

Also, is there any actual source on the Gigalith thing? Regardless I can see the point. Boldore is a lot more mobile than Gigalith, I can see why they wouldn't want to regularly animate the latter into battles.

Pikachu52

Considering that Jessie's Gourgeist evolved through trade, I wonder if the transfer from Professor Oak to Ash will trigger evolution? Nah

Transferring a Pokémon from professor Oak isn't a trade so probably not. The transfer doesn't involve a trade machine or changing the Pokémon's trainer. It would be bending the rules a lot to have Boldore evolve that way.

He probably will use his reserves even though this series is sort of parallel to AG somehow. I'm certain that the writers have realized the ridiculous amount of birds in his team. As you all may have noticed, 3/5 of his team is weak to Electric. Inb4 "But this is Ash! He doesn't care about type advantages!" Um yeah,but I'm talking about the writers' point of view here.

It's still possible that Ash's final Kalos Pokémon could be a ground type or a type that resists electric type moves. In any case, at the moment none of his rivals or the final gym leader have Pokémon that can exploit that weakness, other than Tiereno and his Raichu (whom Pikachu's already proven he can beat). That's not to rule out an electric type user at the league but for the moment the hole in his team is not too much of an issue.

I would say Charizard should make a reappearance and have him Mega Evolve, but Ash already does have three flying types. Maybe he can reunite with Goodra or catch some other Pokemon soon.

Bringing Goodra back at this point would mean he would have two Dragon types in addition to three flying types. That would give his team three Pokémon weak to electric types and two weak to ice. There would be no Pokémon to balance out the weakness to electric types and only Fletchlinder to balance the ice weakness. Reuniting with Goodra would make Ash's Kalos team the least diverse he's had in any region.

Last edited:

ShadowForce720

Transferring a Pokémon from professor Oak isn't a trade so probably not. The transfer doesn't involve a trade machine or changing the Pokémon's trainer. It would be bending the rules a lot to have Boldore evolve that way.

It's still possible that Ash's final Kalos Pokémon could be a ground type or a type that resists electric type moves. In any case, at the moment none of his rivals or the final gym leader have Pokémon that can exploit that weakness, other than Tiereno and his Raichu (whom Pikachu's already proven he can beat). That's not to rule out an electric type user at the league but for the moment the hole in his team is not too much of an issue.

Bringing Goodra back at this point would mean he would have two Dragon types in addition to three flying types. That would give his team three Pokémon weak to electric types and two weak to ice. There would be no Pokémon to balance out the weakness to electric types and only Fletchlinder to balance the ice weakness. Reuniting with Goodra would make Ash's Kalos team the least diverse he's had in any region.

Well in regards to Ash catching a Ground type pokemon, that would mean Ash would have to catch a past gen pokemon, since the only Kalos pokemon that are Ground-types are Diggersby(the evolution of Bunnelby), which is unlikely for Ash to get considering Clemont already has a Bunnelby, and the only other Kalos pokemon that is a Ground-type is the legendary pokemon Zygarde.

Now in regards to having weaknesses to Ice and Electric type attacks if Goodra comes back here is how those weakness work on the Kalos team:

Week to Electric type attacks: Grenina<-->Ash-Greninja, Talonflame, Hawlucha
Resistant to Electric type attacks: Pikachu, Goodra, Noivern
Can learn or already has moves that are super effective against Electric type pokemon: Pikachu, Goodra, Hawlucha, Greninja<-->Ash-Greninja

Weak to Ice type attacks: Noivern, Goodra, Hawlucha, Greninja<-->Ash-Greninja(if the Ice-type move Freeze Dry is used against it.)
Resistant to Ice type attacks: Talonflame, Greninja<-->Ash-Greninja
Can learn moves or already has moves that are Super effective against Ice type pokemon: Pikachu, Hawlucha, Talonflame, Noivern, Greninja<--> Ash-Greninja, Goodra

Weak to Fairy type Attacks: Greninja<-->Ash-Greninja, Hawlucha, Noivern, Goodra
Resistant to Fairy type attacks: Talonflame
Can learn moves or already has moves that are super effective against Fairy type pokemon: Pikachu, Noivern, Goodra, Talonflame, Hawlucha, Greninja<-->Ash-Greninja

Also when you look at Ash's team these are the types that are on it: Electric, Fire, Flying, Fighting, Water, Dark, and Dragon. That's actually pretty diverse.

Compared to the Sinnoh team which had these Weaknesses:

Number of pokemon weak to Ice-type attacks: 4
Number of Pokémon weak to Electric-type attacks: 2
Number of pokemon weak to Flying-type attacks: 2
Number of pokemon weak to Water-type attacks: 3

I do think he will still use reserves regardless of him catching a 6th capture or not.

Last edited:

Torpoleon

Tough to say. I could see it not happening, though if that's the case, I hope there is a post-league arc that gives some spotlight to the reserves (and that Ash uses reserves in the next league). It might get boring seeing the same 6 Pokémon at the league and the only other league where Ash used just the six he had in one region was in Hoenn, but of course there are tons of similarities between AG & XY.....

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics

Only thing is that type coverage is not the most important thing for teams. Goodra is a more slowy and tanky pokemon instead of one fast pokemon like the rest of the team. Goodra can tank many hits and resist electric type moves.
Also type overlap was more worse in Sinnoh, where he got 4 ground and 3 flying types. So this shouldn't be a problem

Last edited:

pokeplus

I think the question here is balancing Hoenn and Sinnoh in terms of the variety of pokémon used by Ash. I mean, in Hoenn it was cool that Ash only used his team of 6, especially because we see them in 3 full battles and a couple more of others (including a double battle). It was cool because it developed a lot of his pokémon, but there was a lack of variety (especially in the full battles). In Sinnoh maybe the variety was to big, or at least because we had a long variety we shoud had a longer league with longer battles. In Tobias + Paul battles Ash used 11 pokémon, only Pikachu was in both. The truth is Infernape, which was probably the Sinnoh pokémon of Ash with more story on the saga, only had one battle in the entire League. And it was a battle that was predicted by everyone. The problem with the Sinnoh League is that although the 3 part battle with Paul was super amazing and well done, with a lot of screen time for every pokémon, it took time to other battles that we could potentially see.

If we had at least another full battle with a COTD before/after Paul's battle, where we could see some Sinnoh Pokémon and others like they showed in episode before the league (Corphish, Glalie, Totodile, Bayleef, Muk), we coud've had some better balance. But then again it was a good league and it was awesome the amount of pokémon Ash used.

Here in Kalos the challenge is even greater, because besides the Kalos pokémon, we have 9 Unova pokémon. So for everyone to appear we really need a huge league, and I'm just saying for every pokémon to appear once. Of course it's almost impossible por pokémons like Pikachu or Greninja to appear once in this league (but then again, we have the example of Infernape in Sinnoh). Of course that, in the end, we're not gonna have every pokémon of Ash appearing.

Another problem we have is that the animation for battles in XY is awesome, and in the league expect to see some really nice battles. But that costs a lot of budget, and I can hardly see the writers doing more than 2 full battles. And this XY&Z saga is already spending a lot of money so I'm kind of worried about the budget left for the league.

So far I think it's safe to assume that Ash vs Shota and Ash vs Tierno will happen in the league. Ash vs Tierno, giving that they already show 5 of Tierno's pokémon, will probably be a full 6 on 6. Ash vs Shota I really don't know. So far we only know that Shota has Grovyle/Sceptile, Bagon and Slurpuff, with a lot of focus in the Sceptile/Mega Sceptile thing. So I can see this being a 3x3 with a huge clash between Greninja and Sceptile/Mega Sceptile, which will make for the 6 on 6. Unless they show other pokémon for Shota in the next episodes, which I highly doubt it.

Giving all of this I really think that the Kalos League will be a shorter league, but then again this could be where Ash wins a League finally. Either way, at this point only Tierno and Shota are trainers which we can assume more or less safely they will face Ash. Sanpei was more of a character to develop Ash's Froakie/Frogadier/Greninja, but they may introduce him in the league and do a 1x1 like Ash vs Shootie in Unova. I don't see that though. Alain is like Sanpei, I think it's more like a character that is introduced for plot purposes, and it's kind of weird if he enters the league considering that he is always wanting to battle mega evolutions and helping Lysandre, and we never heard that he actually is in the quest for badges. Also I think he spent a lot of time outside of Kalos.

So at this point it's really difficult to predict if Ash is going to use reserves, because if we're indeed going to have a short league, then I'm sure only Kalos pokémon will be used. If the writters want to make this the best/longer league of all times then count with them. Personally I would love to see comebacks like Glalie, Kingler, Muk and Tauros.

Last edited:

*Frank*

Maybe Ash catch few more Pokémon & just reserves with them

IMO, that is too late now. The writers could've done that EARLIER, but no. They wasted like 15 or so episodes for a then-temporary Pokémon's character development arc. At least one more capture will happen. (or is enough)

And since it is too late now, he could do "those" captures Post-League.

Though that's just my opinion ha ha.

Last edited:

MegaSalamence05

The Kalos league in itself is an interesting topic. How long of an episode expansion do we predict it to be. To fully recognize all contributing factors going into this event, I'm going to go out on a limb and predict at least 8/9 episodes.

Kanto - 7 Total
Johto - 8 Total
Hoenn - 7 Total
Sinnoh - 8 Total
Unova - 6 total

The whole Kalos League has currently been built up to deem Ash as the favourite going in. With this regional conference also falling in line with the 20th year anniversary something definitely big will occur here at the Kalos League. That's why I think Ash's Indigo League (Kanto) rival Ritchie might make a reappearance as the big shock. With Ash besting Ritchie beginning a Champions League Arc with both Ash/Ritchie involved

Pikachu52

The whole Kalos League has currently been built up to deem Ash as the favourite going in. With this regional conference also falling in line with the 20th year anniversary something definitely big will occur here at the Kalos League. That's why I think Ash's Indigo League (Kanto) rival Ritchie might make a reappearance as the big shock. With Ash besting Ritchie beginning a Champions League Arc with both Ash/Ritchie involved

Ash is only the favourite out of himself, Sawyer, Tierno and Trevor. That doesn't make him the favourite overall given there are likely to be at least 128 trainers entering the competition. The pattern so far has been the rival who defeats Ash at the league is usually someone whom he meets either right before or at the start of the league. Ash is in no better or worse position for the league here than any previous series.

nameman

Ash is only the favourite out of himself, Sawyer, Tierno and Trevor. That doesn't make him the favourite overall given there are likely to be at least 128 trainers entering the competition. The pattern so far has been the rival who defeats Ash at the league is usually someone whom he meets either right before or at the start of the league. Ash is in no better or worse position for the league here than any previous series.

Incorrect. He's actually in a great position when you consider his portrayal. He's probably not the favorite, but he can most certainly play the role of dark horse in the League. It'll depend on how the director chooses to go about this.

crawdauntpro

darksidetrainer
I think Ash will have this team going into the League: -

Pikachu
Greninja
Talonflame
Hawlucha
Goodra
Noivern

Then Ash should have the following 6 as his back-up team for the League: -

Bayleef - Could Evolve
Quilava - Could Evolve
Totodile - Should Evolve
Corphish - Should Evolve
Glalie - Needs more battle time.
Gliscor - Needs a few more battles.

Now the following are what I class as his rotational Reserves for the League: -

Buizel - Could Evolve.
Gible - Could Evolve
Oshawott - Could Evolve.
Pignite - Could Evolve.
Snivy - Could Evolve.
Scraggy - Should Evolve as he was the last baby 'Mon on the roster.
Palpitoad - Should Evolve.
Boldore - Should Evolve.

nickdt

The Kalos league in itself is an interesting topic. How long of an episode expansion do we predict it to be. To fully recognize all contributing factors going into this event, I'm going to go out on a limb and predict at least 8/9 episodes.

Kanto - 7 Total
Johto - 8 Total
Hoenn - 7 Total
Sinnoh - 8 Total
Unova - 6 total

Interesting thoughts. Ash vs Tierno (2-parter 6v6). Ash vs Sawyer (3-parter 6v6). Three prelims (1v1 or 2v2). First round (3v3). Second round (3v3 Possibly Trevor). So i think at least 10 (11 if he reaches the final).

That Ritchie reappearance. Its Far Fetch'd, but i like it. I don't think Ash will be the favorite (Cuz lacking a Mega).

*Frank*

Interesting thoughts. Ash vs Tierno (2-parter 6v6). Ash vs Sawyer (3-parter 6v6). Three prelims (1v1 or 2v2). First round (3v3). Second round (3v3 Possibly Trevor). So i think at least 10 (11 if he reaches the final).

Mhm. Trevor should battle Sawyer or Tierno instead, 'cause Ash battling all his rivals at the league would be too unbelievable (but would also be awesome). Just like what they did with Barry, I guess? HOPEFULLY THEY DIDN'T FORGET THAT HE'S TAKING THE BADGE QUEST AS WELL!

pokeplus

I can't see the writers pulling off a 11-episode League, especially with consistent writting. Also I don't see Ash vs Trevor but it's true that Ash vs Conway in Sinnoh was unexpected too. If Shota has a full team of 6 I wonder what will be his other pokémon. It would be cool so see something like Sceptile, Salamence, Slurpuff, Camerupt, Gogoat and Pidgeot. It would make for some interesting battles like Sceptile vs Greninja, Pidgeot vs Talonflame or Salamence vs Noivern.

I hope that we see Tierno at least one more time before the league to see the progression he has made

NeoDude-5000

My opinions for the reserves only (some probably won't make the final cut)

Kanto:
Charizard (has to come back and Mega Evolve, it's in the ranch for a reason)
Muk (old times sake)
Snorlax (go-to powerhouse)

Johto:
Heracross (Johto powerhouse, needs to have a new moveset though)
Totodile (if Ash battles Tierno I kinda see Ash using it, it loves to dance after all)

Hoenn:
Everyone except Sceptile (Sawyer has his, so sorry not this time Sceptile (like he did in Sinnoh he will bring back the pokemon from the team the remakes were set in)

Sinnoh:
Torterra (tank BADLY needs a win, he could use a grass-type after all)
Buizel (fast, speedy, useful)
Gliscor (powerhouse)

Unova:
Unfezant (aerial battler)
Leavanny (adds more variety)
Krookodile (the only decent Unova pokemon Ash has)

In total that's 15 pokemon, a bit too much unless the league drags on for a while or if Ash battles using none of his Kalos pokemon

Last edited:

RealRaymon

Good series at last!
My opinions for the reserves only (some probably won't make the final cut)

Kanto:
Charizard (has to come back and Mega Evolve, it's in the ranch for a reason)
Muk (old times sake)
Snorlax (go-to powerhouse)

Johto:
Heracross (Johto powerhouse, needs to have a new moveset though)
Totodile (if Ash battles Tierno I kinda see Ash using it, it loves to dance after all)

Hoenn:
Everyone except Sceptile (Sawyer has his, so sorry not this time Sceptile (like he did in Sinnoh he will bring back the pokemon from the team the remakes were set in)

Sinnoh:
Torterra (tank BADLY needs a win, he could use a grass-type after all)
Buizel (fast, speedy, useful)
Gliscor (powerhouse)

Unova:
Unfezant (aerial battler)
Leavanny (adds more variety)
Krookodile (the only decent Unova pokemon Ash has)

In total that's 15 pokemon, a bit too much unless the league drags on for a while or if Ash battles using none of his Kalos pokemon
That aerial battler got wrecked by a little pokemon it got advantage against (Riolu). I'd rather see a first real league Scraggy's battle(and an evolution maybe), Palpitoad or Boldore.
And if we talk about Aerial battlers, Swellow and Gliscor are both awesome choices.
Also, for a non-sceptile powerhouse grass-type, I'd love to see my favourite Pokemon, Bulba

Status
Not open for further replies.