• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Will Ash Use Reserves for the Kalos League?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
If Ash is going to use Reserves, then I went him to use these Pokémon:

Muk - Hasn't been used in forever
Kingler - Same, and gets less screen time than Muk
Totodile - Didn't get that many battles in Johto!
Gible - Should evolve to Gabite in a battle
Toretrra - So it can finally get a win!
Unfezant - Rarely seen or used in BW
Palpitoad - Ditto, but less wins under its belt
Glalie - Really wasn't used much in AG
Snivy - So she can learn a new move!

I don't think more than 9 past mon will appear, if that many, which is why I didn't like more, like Bayleef and Tauros.

While I do think these pokemon all deserve screentime, the writers might still focus on some of the more popular ones which is kind of what happened in Sinnoh's league. ^^;

PAndrews

While I do think these pokemon all deserve screentime, the writers might still focus on some of the more popular ones which is kind of what happened in Sinnoh's league. ^^;

True, but we still got Noctowl showing how much power it had gained, along with Cyndaquil (finally) evolving.
But some Pokemon could really use some redemption, similar to what Torkoal got in the BF when it was shown capable of nearly beating Registeel. So here's hoping at least a few get some chance.
I wouldn't mind overused/popular guys like Snivy, Scraggy or Oshawott returning if it meant there would be some long overdue evolutions among them. Their is one Pokemon however who deserves to return, not for battle, but to interact with Ash and the others. Namely his little battlebot Palpitaoad. The poor guy pretty much did nothing but fight whenever seen and got no interaction moments at all (not even with Stunfisk :S)

If this is the League that Ash actually wins, then I don't really care who gets used. If he loses, I'd prefer he actually use reserves to form his strongest possible team to make it clear that he was indeed weaker then his opponent and deserved the loss. Not like vs Cameron, in which he not only made rookie mistakes but it was also clear that his reserves would have wiped the floor with Cameron's whole team (Infernape alone could have solo'd half the team). In the end I'd love a final round in which he uses his stated strongest 6 just so we finally get a clear statement on which those are and who are truly his strongest Pokemon (instead of just fan assumption)

If he mixes his current team with reserves, I'd prefer the "weaker" reserves get early rounds and the top tier ones the later rounds. Unless we are getting a Battle Chateau arc, then that would be the perfect time to give ALL his reserves at least one battle each. Similar to how they started BF

Haunter ゴースト

It's really hard to say. Ash's XY team have had good development just like his AG and DP teams yet the reserves still showed up at that League for one.

Only time will tell.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
It's really hard to say. Ash's XY team have had good development just like his AG and DP teams yet the reserves still showed up at that League for one.

Only time will tell.
Ash never used reserves for the Hoenn League, just the Battle Frontier, though I get the point you are making.

PAndrews

Ash never used reserves for the Hoenn League, just the Battle Frontier, though I get the point you are making.

But in the Hoen League they did make it a point to show how much he had grown since Johto by placing just as high without using reserves. Brock even stated this to Max. Hoen was also about Ash going back to the basics and starting from scratch (which is why he left everyone at Oak when heading for Hoen), so there technically was a good reason for him not to use reserves at all in all of Hoen. He willingly handicapped himself as part of his training and growth. Though the BF did get to see the return of older Pokemon.

That really doesn't apply now, especially if you consider that he did worse in the Unova League (though I suppose the distance and as such his Pokemon being a Juniper instead of Oak could be used as an excuse for no reserves) then the Sinnoh League, so its been made very clear now that he does better with reserves and he would need a good reason not to use them. Although granted his current team is already clearly superior to both his Johto and Unova teams (not that that takes much :p).

In the end they better give a good reason why he wouldn't use reserves here. This is clearly the compitent Ash from Hoen and Sinnoh again, not the Unova one who pretty much forgot all he had learned in 4 regions. So if he does indeed handicap himself again (like he did in Hoen), they better give a good reason why, especially considering he isn't even using a full team yet.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes

blob

Or, instead of skipping some battle, we see all of Ash's battles in the leage, including the ones that test the waters, like in Johto and Hoenn Leagues.
Plus Ash could make it to second place, meaning his best Pokémon are used against whoever, to fight his was to winning the league (which he won't, so 2nd place is good enough).

KKS-Lapras

Or, instead of skipping some battle, we see all of Ash's battles in the leage, including the ones that test the waters, like in Johto and Hoenn Leagues.
Plus Ash could make it to second place, meaning his best Pokémon are used against whoever, to fight his was to winning the league (which he won't, so 2nd place is good enough).

We saw this in Unova to, the test rounds, Serperior vs Pikachu, regardless how people felt about that match.

ArcaneStar

Village Idiot
We saw this in Unova to, the test rounds, Serperior vs Pikachu, regardless how people felt about that match.

Remind me again why the writers decided that kicking the main rival ( as shoddy as he was) out In the first round was a splendid idea?

Unless they give Ash a decent 6th mon we will be seeing reserves which I am a fan of.
I'd rather have mons come back then stagnate offscreen

PAndrews

Remind me again why the writers decided that kicking the main rival ( as shoddy as he was) out In the first round was a splendid idea?

Unless they give Ash a decent 6th mon we will be seeing reserves which I am a fan of.

I actually was impressed they had the ***** to do something like that. The match-ups are random draws in the end, so Ash always getting rivals and strong opponents in later rounds and getting the easy matches in the first few doesn't make sense. Him getting Trip right off the bat showed this quite well, his opponents and rivals are random luck of the draw, not predestined finals.

Problem is that it was a boring and badly written fight, they could have gone 3v3 or at least made it an exciting match that had them going toe to toe with Ash barely winning in the end and not "Pikachu gets slapped around for 10 minutes and then does a OHKO". The writers have shown they can do great 1vs1 fights, especially with proper buildup, so this fight with Trip could have been great, even as a 1vs1. And lets be honest, Trip had a habit of getting kicked out in the first round of tournaments anyway, it was about time Ash got to be the one to do it :D

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
I thought I was the only guy who liked Noctowl, now I'm being told he was popular?!! On any note the only popular Pokemon that got any spotlight was Sceptile, all the other old favorites (Snorlax, Quilava, Bulbasaur) really only got minor appearances. All the Pokemon that needed move updates got them and some wins too.

KKS-Lapras

I didn't mind Trip being the first opponent. Like someone else said, the League matches are determined supposedly at random. For once, they actually showed this.

Ash Ketchum!

Pokemon Trainer

The ones used in Sinnoh weren't necessarily the most popular, some of the where used just because they were from Johto and it was meant as a tie-in for the 2nd gen remakes.

I do want to see Ash use his old reserve Pokemon. Seeing them again would be amazing, especially ones like Kingler or Muk who haven't seen screentime in a while.

jrizza88

Meteorite
The ones used in Sinnoh weren't necessarily the most popular, some of the where used just because they were from Johto and it was meant as a tie-in for the 2nd gen remakes.

I do want to see Ash use his old reserve Pokemon. Seeing them again would be amazing, especially ones like Kingler or Muk who haven't seen screentime in a while.

I wonder if this means that Hoenn Pokemon are more likely to be shown primarily? I would prefer a mix up of different pokemon so hopefully we get to see some pokemon we haven't seen in quite a while.

Shego

The Pokémon Explorer
With a recent slot missing at Ash's hand, I am hoping that he would use his reserves in the Kalos League and win it.

ssquaderi

I just hope if Ash gets to the final, against someone really strong (maybe Alain) he uses his ultimate best 6, I would pick:
Ash-Greninja
Charizard
Sceptile
Pikachu
Infernape
Snorlax

If he faces Sawyer in the final, he would just use his Kalos Pokemon probably, unless he becomes like Paul and makes a team completely based on countering Sawyer's known six, in which case I hope he uses this amazing team in the semis

Also, I want to see at least one if not two of Ash's reserves evolve, now that the water curse is gone, maybe we could see an evolution for either Totodile or Corphish, maybe Oshawott but its too soon.
Also, would be nice for Gible to evolve, maybe Snivy or Scraggy, but they're also pretty recent too.

I'm kind of hoping Sceptile gets used in the Sawyer battle, for obvious reasons.

But seeing as this is a remake gen, it wouldn't be out of line to assume we're getting reserves, and they'll primarily be Hoenn. Corphish comes to mind as needing an update, as does Torkoal.

Eneci

FrogadierMasterLucas
Would love to seesome of the reserves mixed up with th Kalos gang. Totodile, Oshawott and Snivy would be my main choice. Leavanny as well. Snivy and Leavanny are really needed in his team, while next to Greninja all the water types seem useless sadly. :-( Still I hope to see them in action. Wonder if Ash will obtain the megga stone for his Charizard to go up against Alain's. That would be an amazing battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.