• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Will Ash Use Reserves In The Alola League? Poll Tally!

Will Ash use his reserve Pokémon during the Alola League?

• Total voters

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ace Kenshader said:
Something to keep in mind is that there is no guarantee that there will be an Alolan League at all. Keep in mind this series has already broken quite a few norms in both the game and anime department, so it isn't a stretch to assume that this is a possibility.

I don't think it'll be skipped at this point given the hype, although I'm not expecting something on par with the Kalos League regardless. I see the Alola League being a small and fun tournament with less at stake than usual.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
I don't think it'll be skipped at this point given the hype, although I'm not expecting something on par with the Kalos League regardless. I see the Alola League being a small and fun tournament with less at stake than usual.
Kukui has mentioned and confirmed multiple times that he would build a League in Alola, plus Ash and Kiawe were both shown really enthusiastic about participating in the League, making it pretty much clear in indication that it's gonna be a tournament where Ash is gonna participate. It's basically confirmed at this point that there will be a League in Alola, it's not really something which is up for speculation/debate at this point whether there will be a League or not.

Genaller

Silver Soul
Kukui has mentioned and confirmed multiple times that he would build a League in Alola, plus Ash and Kiawe were both shown really enthusiastic about participating in the League, making it pretty much clear in indication that it's gonna be a tournament where Ash is gonna participate. It's basically confirmed at this point that there will be a League in Alola, it's not really something which is up for speculation/debate at this point whether there will be a League or not.
He’s not saying that there won’t be a league, but rather this league might not hold the same importance/prestige as other leagues since the iteration Ash will compete in will be the first meaning it may not have the same accreditation as other league conferences especially since Alola does not have a gym system meaning that winning this league wouldn’t yield the progression for Ash’s goal that winning previous leagues would’ve (e.g. since the Alola league isn’t accredited yet, Ash probably won’t be allowed to participate in the champions’ leagues of other regions even if he does win) ergo the stakes won’t be nearly as high which is what leonhart was actually saying.

I really wouldn’t be surprised if the writers did this in order to have Ash continue his repetitive loop making this league about as meaningful as the Orange League or at best the Battle Frontier.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
He’s not saying that there won’t be a league, but rather this league might not hold the same importance/prestige as other leagues since the iteration Ash will compete in will be the first meaning it may not have the same accreditation as other league conferences especially since Alola does not have a gym system meaning that winning this league wouldn’t yield the progression for Ash’s goal that winning previous leagues would’ve (e.g. since the Alola league isn’t accredited yet, Ash probably won’t be allowed to participate in the champions’ leagues of other regions even if he does win) ergo the stakes won’t be nearly as high which is what leonhart was actually saying.

I really wouldn’t be surprised if the writers did this in order to have Ash continue his repetitive loop making this league about as meaningful as the Orange League or at best the Battle Frontier.
Reread his post. He says that 'I don't think it'll be skipped at this point', which(probably) emphasizes that there still might be a chance that the League might be skipped, which is not really the case given the evidences shown in the anime in this case.

I don't really believe that this League would have way different format than the other traditional regional Leagues and won't have full 6 on 6 battles like some people. Remember that Kukui himself was inspired to build a League in Alola by hearing about the Kanto League at first (during the school trip to Kanto) and then later confirmed it after hearing about the Kalos League from Ilima. Since Kukui was inspired by two traditional Leagues in Kanto and Kalos, to build the Alola League in the first place, it doesn't make much sense for him to build a League here with a completely different format which doesn't have full battles. Kanto amd Kalos Leagues both had full battles, and Kukui was inspired by those 2 Leagues to build in Alola, so it's more unreasonable than not to assume that there won't be full battles in Alola League. It makes more sense for Kukui to build a League in Alola with the traditional format of 3 on 3 battles in the earlier rounds and 6 battles in the later rounds, because the Kanto and Kalos Leagues both had full battles since he got the inspiration to build the Alola League after hearing about those 2 Leagues. So considering all these aspects, still assuming that there won't be 6 on 6 full battles in the League is in my book, basically ignoring the context behind Kukui wanting to build a League in Alola and making a weird assumption. Not buying it honestly.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
You've already given that argument several times, and I don't think it's a bad argument. I'm just more looking at it from a different point of view, namely a lot of the characters that could show up in the league only having few pokémon. Kukui has two confirmed, he might have more but he exposed himself as Royal Mask to Faba by releasing Incineroar against Team Rocket, at least suggesting he didn't have an alternative at the time. Kiawe also has two (him just borrowing pokémon from his farm would be a cheap cop-out, first of all they're not battle trained and secondly they're not even his, they belong to the family farm so by extension to his parents). Gladion has three (assuming Noivern is a ride pokémon from the Aether foundation like Ash's Garchomp). Ash has four. Ilima has two that we've seen although he could show up at the league with six and it wouldn't be strange, so he doesn't really reinforce my argument... nevermind Ilima. Hau we don't know yet, although it looks like he has Dartrix and it's possible he has Raichu.
Another argument to support smaller battles is that this would be the first league in Alola. Requiring fewer pokémon than the Kalos or Kanto leagues, leagues that already have been established for a while, would allow more people to enter. With a league that's still starting out it'd be good to ensure you get enough participants to get a successful league. Don't start out too ambitious, but adapting things to the Alola standards where battle training isn't as commonplace as in Kanto to reduce the risk of a flop. Granted, the writers can make it a success regardless, this is more of an in-universe argument, but so is the argument of Kukui being inspired by the Kalos and Kanto leagues.

Do I think it won't have 6-on-6 battles? Honestly I don't know, I wouldn't bet on either side. I can see 6v6 battles being appealing to the audience, giving that extra hype factor, and being a league tradition, and on the other hand I can also see the practical side of a lot of characters not having sufficient pokémon for that yet and the writers would need to go through some hoops to pull that off, and smaller battles would also allow them to do more battles than just two or three full battles, allowing more characters to shine and/or shoving fewer battles off-screen.

Last edited:

Genaller

Silver Soul
Reread his post. He says that 'I don't think it'll be skipped at this point', which(probably) emphasizes that there still might be a chance that the League might be skipped, which is not really the case given the evidences shown in the anime in this case.
Yeah and if you read he says “due to hype” which is how he acknowledged the evidence in the show. Besides it’s conceivable that a league doesn’t happen e.g. the chief director changes and decides to go in a whole new direction which doesn’t involve a league. It’s usually reasonable to never say anything with 100% guarantee until it actually happens.

I don't really believe that this League would have way different format than the other traditional regional Leagues and won't have full 6 on 6 battles like some people. Remember that Kukui himself was inspired to build a League in Alola by hearing about the Kanto League at first (during the school trip to Kanto) and then later confirmed it after hearing about the Kalos League from Ilima. Since Kukui was inspired by two traditional Leagues in Kanto and Kalos, to build the Alola League in the first place, it doesn't make much sense for him to build a League here with a completely different format which doesn't have full battles. Kanto amd Kalos Leagues both had full battles, and Kukui was inspired by those 2 Leagues to build in Alola, so it's more unreasonable than not to assume that there won't be full battles in Alola League. It makes more sense for Kukui to build a League in Alola with the traditional format of 3 on 3 battles in the earlier rounds and 6 battles in the later rounds, because the Kanto and Kalos Leagues both had full battles since he got the inspiration to build the Alola League after hearing about those 2 Leagues. So considering all these aspects, still assuming that there won't be 6 on 6 full battles in the League is in my book, basically ignoring the context behind Kukui wanting to build a League in Alola and making a weird assumption. Not buying it honestly.
What are you talking about? I didn’t say anything about format but rather stakes due to Alola’s league not being recognized as on par with other league conferences due to them not having a gym system. I’ll assume you weren’t trying to strawman here. If we’re talking about format then I'm betting this will have the smallest number of contestants in league history at 32 (so placing it below every other league but still above other battle tournaments like Junior Cup).

Henry's Journey

I expect everyone but Ash to suddenly pull an Alain and show up with full teams out of their *****.

That would be sad. Ash's team needs an upgrade ASAP, Torracat and Rowlet are seriously lacking, it would seem like Lycanroc and Pikachu will carry the team, at least we know Rowlet is training soon with Hau's Dartrix but Torracat needs to... evolve or heck learn a new move!

If Ash manages to catch 2 final mons I hope they pull a Glalie or something XD it could be seen as bad writing but oh well, SM's pace is kinda a mess anyway.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Henry's Journey said:
That would be sad. Ash's team needs an upgrade ASAP, Torracat and Rowlet are seriously lacking, it would seem like Lycanroc and Pikachu will carry the team, at least we know Rowlet is training soon with Hau's Dartrix but Torracat needs to... evolve or heck learn a new move!

Lugarugan has proven his worth, so him leading the charge seems fitting to me. Of course, I do hope that Satoshi will eventually have a Gaogaen for his match with Hau, though.

DatsRight

I'm wondering whether Torracat will evolve, since we not only have an Incineroar as a recurring character, but it has it's signature attacks, Z Move, and pretty much full represents everything an Incineroar is as a character perfectly. It's different from Sanpei's Greninja that appeared odd times and didn't matter much as a character so didn't really tread on the handling of Ash's (not to mention Ash's Greninja was made to interact and have a personality far less often than Torracat). What could they do to make Ash's Incineroar stand out as well as Masked Royal's?

In fairness, despite not having a lot of battles, Torracat has been the one with most emphasis on training and getting better. It's learned FOUR new moves since appearing, at least two were from legitimate training rather than random DEM, and when Lycanroc evolved it was recurrently shown sparring and trying to get stronger as a build up to evolving. Not to mention having the near undefeatable Incineroar as it's rival. Sure it's the underdog right now, but that's often Ash's style.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I'm wondering whether Torracat will evolve, since we not only have an Incineroar as a recurring character, but it has it's signature attacks, Z Move, and pretty much full represents everything an Incineroar is as a character perfectly. It's different from Sanpei's Greninja that appeared odd times and didn't matter much as a character so didn't really tread on the handling of Ash's (not to mention Ash's Greninja was made to interact and have a personality far less often than Torracat). What could they do to make Ash's Incineroar stand out as well as Masked Royal's?
Ash-Incinium Z-Crystal.

They have to make Ash's Incineroar special, so the writers will go to Game Freak and they will come up with their commission.

And then us players will use that Z-Crystal in the next games. The best part? It's a Hold Item and you can use it as many times as you want.

ShadowForce720

In fairness, despite not having a lot of battles, Torracat has been the one with most emphasis on training and getting better. It's learned FOUR new moves since appearing, at least two were from legitimate training rather than random DEM, and when Lycanroc evolved it was recurrently shown sparring and trying to get stronger as a build up to evolving. Not to mention having the near undefeatable Incineroar as it's rival. Sure it's the underdog right now, but that's often Ash's style.

It's really not as hard as your trying to make it sound to try to have Ash's potential Incineroar stand out for Masked Royal's Incineroar as the only moves that would really have in common with each other is Darkest Lariat and their signature Z-move however outside of that there move set is pretty different from each other as unlike Masked Royal's Incineroar who lacks any Fire type moves Ash's potential Incineroar would have two fire type moves one of which being Flame Charge which means that it will be faster then Masked Royal's Incineroar also while Masked Royal's Incineroar has a stat boosting move being Bulk Up and has a offensive fighting type move being Cross Chop while Ash's potential Incineroar has a move that acts like counter where it doubles the damage that it receives and sends it back at the opponent with this move being Revenge.

Plus in regards to Masked Royal's Incineroar representing Incineroar as a character perfectly, that actually isn't true as if you look at it's bio you would know that, that isn't how Incineroar necessarily act and here is the bio for Incineroar that is on Serebii.net:

As its fighting spirit increases, the flames that Incineroar produces within its body burst from its navel and waistline. Since the flames somewhat resemble a championship belt, they’re known as its “flame belt,” and the Pokémon unleashes moves that use flames from it. In the heat of battle, Incineroar shows no concern for its opponents—and sometimes even launches attacks that strike the opposing Trainer! As a result, many tend to dislike this Pokémon and keep it at a distance. If a crowd watching it battle is pumped up, Incineroar’s fighting spirit will burn brighter. But a lackluster crowd can make it lose focus or fight shoddily. When it receives the admiration of young Pokémon and children, it may keep up its cold attitude on the outside, but in its heart of hearts, Incineroar is immensely happy. It loses the desire to fight when faced with a Pokémon that’s clearly weak or injured, and it sometimes gets taken advantage of as a result.

Now if you read tat you will notice that it says that it will have a cold attitude on the outside but be nice on the inside however if you look at Masked Royal's Incineroar it doesn't really behave like this in fact if you look at it it's being depicted as anything but having a cold attitude on the outside as it's pretty clear that it has no problem with showing it's emotions, however the bio does seem to fit Ash's Litten/Torracat's personality more meaning that Ash's potential Incineroar could easily portray this while not being out of character as it would at times seem like it's has a cold attitude but deep down it's a nice pokemon which describes Ash's Litten/Torracat pretty accurately.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
At this point I'd honestly prefer him too. He hasn't spent enough time training and working with his Pokemon to make any sort of major wins in the Alola league feel actually earned.

Not to mention the lack of a full team (that he could in theory fill by the league.)

But still what he has doesn't feel like they have battled enough. They seem/act/ and are treated more as pet Pokemon most of the time that battling Pokemon. Sure Fire cat and Rock dog have worked hard, so wins from them would feel earned.

I'd rather see him bring in some reserves (ideally not the obvious fan favorites/ old team stars, but some of his seemingly for team members). And ideally have one or 2 evolve .

DragonKahuna

Dragon Master
I hope he will use the reserves in the Alola league.
He can do the same as in DP where he can use his SM team against the major rival or the dreamcrusher/Kukui. His current team is similar to Johto or BW so I think would be wise to use reserves.
Back in DP, Ash used :

-Top 64 vs Nando
Staraptor, Quilava, Heracross
-Top 32 vs Random Trainer
??, ??, Snorlax
-Top 16 vs Conway
Noctowl, Donphan, Gible
-Top 8 vs Nando
Main Sinnoh Team
-Top 4 vs Tobias
Pikachu, Gible, Torkal,
Sceptile, Swellow, Heracross

So, Ash has used at least 8 reserves in the DP league. If he will actually bring back, it would like to see Squirtle, Primeape, Glalie, Infernape, Noivern and whichever from BW.

D

Deleted member 384931

fairly confident in saying the idea of reserves for leagues is dead and will never be iimplemented again so no
Idk it anymore. If Ash catches a pokémon it will be rushed. If he uses a reserve who knows what he will use. But the fact is if there are 6-on-6 battles he will need six pokémon.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
At this rate it is possible. Assuming he doesn't catch anything else which I think might piss people off but SUMO seems to enjoy doing it. He still needs two more and it will feel rushed no matter what so maybe bringing back an old one and letting him have Eevee is for the best.

Idk it anymore. If Ash catches a pokémon it will be rushed. If he uses a reserve who knows what he will use. But the fact is if there are 6-on-6 battles he will need six pokémon.
Or maybe not. We don;t know how this league will go down. Heck it could just be a huge battle royal.