• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Will Ash Use Reserves In The Alola League? Poll Tally!

Will Ash use his reserve Pokémon during the Alola League?

• Total voters

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
I'm saying whether or not it's a good or bad idea isn't the writers concern based on past seasons.

cannon fodder for the sake of cannon fodder, where does that get fun? giving him someone just to fill his team, and have their whole purpose to be beaten senseless is just wrong.

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)

AshXSerena = Canon
I refuse to place any validation on any league that has Ash not using his reserves. Alola is the culmination of Ash's journey as far just as much as it is about his journey within that respective region, and a fully fleshed out league can have him using both his reserves and alola team. Also, I really want to see infernape again; i.e., Ash's best Pokemon

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I refuse to place any validation on any league that has Ash not using his reserves. Alola is the culmination of Ash's journey as far just as much as it is about his journey within that respective region, and a fully fleshed out league can have him using both his reserves and alola team. Also, I really want to see infernape again; i.e., Ash's best Pokemon

How is the region with a nasty amount of Slice of Life episodes the culmination of Ash's journey. It feels like his vacation from battling seriously.

He had two regions with the best build up (one of them was too overhyped, though). Those could have been the culmination. But alas, the writers don't like their OC much (which is...strange for any writer).

Last edited:

Evanibble

the thing is, unless there are no full battles in the alola league, which I doubt they would do. Ash has two slots to fill, and I can't see it being done with one grand trial left to complete, unless you just don't care for good writing. No one knows If Eevee will go to Ash, and even then I don't see how they can fill his last slot without it being a rush job that is even worse than Snorunt or Gible were.

It's not just about catching new pokemon either, Pikachu and Lycanroc have been hoarding all the screentime and development so far, if Torracat and Rowlet want to be taken seriously, regardless of weather they evolve or not, they need more time in the light as well, giving them new moves isn't enough since we haven't really seen them use those moves since they learned them.

That's the thing about past teams with late captures was that by the time he did bring on someone late, his other team members had plenty of screentime and development allowing the new guy to get in enough before a league, this time we're dealing with two open slots instead of one, which makes seeing a full team hard to accomplish this late.

no matter who you try to suggest besides eevee, it's stretching things hard and would be bad writing.

I'm no fan of bad writing (who is?) but I feel like a reserve would suck up oxygen from the rest of the team, especially from Pokemon who need it like Rowlet and Torracat, where their time to shine could very well be the league (relative to the rest of the series at least). Also, which reserve? Ash has around 40 reserves, who would come back and why that Pokemon over all of the others?

Ash could go through the rest of the series with four Pokemon (five if one believes Poipole comes back, but that's an entirely different discussion), but I feel like that's just not complete. He hasn't gone through a series without catching/obtaining at least five Pokemon. Not sure how Alola would be any different. If they ram through two new Pokemon without adequate development then yeah it might be poor writing, all I'm saying is that I think it's just unlikely reserves will be used.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
I'm no fan of bad writing (who is?) but I feel like a reserve would suck up oxygen from the rest of the team, especially from Pokemon who need it like Rowlet and Torracat, where their time to shine could very well be the league (relative to the rest of the series at least).

had they focused on them earlier instead of giving Pikachu and Lycanroc all the attention, as well as having Ash mess with not one but two pokemon he wasn't going to keep we wouldn't have this problem.

Also, which reserve? Ash has around 40 reserves, who would come back and why that Pokemon over all of the others?

I'm going to go with Kanto reserves most likely to represent the let's go games, possibly Greninja coming back since Ash-Greninja was put into the gen 7 games.

Not sure how Alola would be any different. If they ram through two new Pokemon without adequate development then yeah it might be poor writing, all I'm saying is that I think it's just unlikely reserves will be used.

Again, if we had more than one GT remaining it'd be possible, but I can't see it at this point.

Another thing to consider is this, this series is focusing on more than the usual "party of three" we've had in the past, so Ash isn't the only one who could get something or have developmental screentime. That makes it even harder to see him with a full developed region team since they can't put all the attention on him.

ShadowForce720

had they focused on them earlier instead of giving Pikachu and Lycanroc all the attention, as well as having Ash mess with not one but two pokemon he wasn't going to keep we wouldn't have this problem.

I'm going to go with Kanto reserves most likely to represent the let's go games, possibly Greninja coming back since Ash-Greninja was put into the gen 7 games.

Again, if we had more than one GT remaining it'd be possible, but I can't see it at this point.

Another thing to consider is this, this series is focusing on more than the usual "party of three" we've had in the past, so Ash isn't the only one who could get something or have developmental screentime. That makes it even harder to see him with a full developed region team since they can't put all the attention on him.

Your mistake is thinking the writers care about whether or not giving Ash two more captures would seem rush, when they have shown that they don't really seem to care, because keep in mind that if they truly cared about all of Ash's pokemon getting the development they deserved and not being rushed then Ash's teams would have been handled better.

Look no matter how much you or anyone else complains about it and no matter how much you say that you can't see it at this point it doesn't really matter because none of that really changes the point that it is likely that Ash will get 2 more captures regardless of how people feel about it, as the writers don't really care so they will likely give him two captures any way just to fill out his team.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Your mistake is thinking the writers care about whether or not giving Ash two more captures would seem rush, when they have shown that they don't really seem to care, because keep in mind that if they truly cared about all of Ash's pokemon getting the development they deserved and not being rushed then Ash's teams would have been handled better.

Look no matter how much you or anyone else complains about it and no matter how much you say that you can't see it at this point it doesn't really matter because none of that really changes the point that it is likely that Ash will get 2 more captures regardless of how people feel about it, as the writers don't really care so they will likely give him two captures any way just to fill out his team.

if you don't want to put effort into your own product what's the point in even making it?

ShadowForce720

if you don't want to put effort into your own product what's the point in even making it?

Look you can try to argue it as much as you want, but it really doesn't change the point that it is likely that they will give Ash two more capture regardless of how anyone feels about it, because they really just don't care about if some of Ash's pokemon don't get the development they should have gotten or if it seems rushed.

Your talking like you seem to think the writers care, when they really don't because if you actually looked at it if they really cared about all of Ash's pokemon getting the development they deserved and not seeming rush and getting the spotlight they should have gotten the Ash's teams would have been handled better, but they weren't. I'm not saying they should not care and that they shouldn't put more effort, but at the same time you have to understand that they just don't care as much as you think they do.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Look you can try to argue it as much as you want, but it really doesn't change the point that it is likely that they will give Ash two more capture regardless of how anyone feels about it, because they really just don't care about if some of Ash's pokemon don't get the development they should have gotten or if it seems rushed.

Can you predict the future? I don't think so, I have not dismissed the option of Ash getting two more pokemon, however I know that with how many variables there are left in this season, it can't work without them being rush jobs that are worse than anything Ash has ever previously had.

Your talking like you seem to think the writers care, when they really don't because if you actually looked at it if they really cared about all of Ash's pokemon getting the development they deserved and not seeming rush and getting the spotlight they should have gotten the Ash's teams would have been handled better, but they weren't. I'm not saying they should not care and that they shouldn't put more effort, but at the same time you have to understand that they just don't care as much as you think they do.

If the writers don't care to any capacity then why does this show exist? when making a show you need to give it your all if you want it to succeed, otherwise it shouldn't exist to begin with, but I know arguing with you is not going to get anywhere.

All i'm going to say at this point is this, we each have our opinions on the matter, let's leave it at that and move on.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
KenzeyEevee said:
Why even build a league if there arent many trainers who actually battle, unless Kukui invites other people from other regions?

I still think that we may see the new LG: P/E rival at the Alola League as late promo for the games next year, however.

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
How is the region with a nasty amount of Slice of Life episodes the culmination of Ash's journey. It feels like his vacation from battling seriously.

He had two regions with the best build up (one of them was too overhyped, though). Those could have been the culmination. But alas, the writers don't like their OC much (which is...strange for any writer).

It's a slice of life series about life in the Pokemon world. It's not a battle-series. As a result, it's not going to be focused on battles. That hasn't stopped it from having some really nicely done battles, though.

It's not up to 'the writers' to decide the plot of the series. The plot is decided by the series director with the series kousei (series composition, basically a 'head writer' position but it really exists to help the series director execute his vision) but with a bigger franchise such as this the series director is going to face creative decisions from producers. We saw this with how Shudou Takeshi's ideas were ignored because a 'a certain producer from a publishing company' didn't want the story and characters to be so thoughtfully created.

The production staff so very clearly take their jobs seriously. The variety of storylines in Sun & Moon alone speaks for itself but then there's the storyboards and impassioned character acting in the animation for this series, too. This is to say nothing of how many scripts Series Kousei Matsui Aya has written herself or Tomioka Atsuhiro sticking around with the franchise despite stepping down from series kousei. In fact, Tomioka Atsuhiro has personally scripted 229 episodes of the Pokemon franchise, many of which he did 2-5 episodes consecutively for important story arcs. The production staff is working under less-than-ideal conditions and making the best of it.

NitroLightningFlash

I voted 'he won't but he should', i mean the way Ash's team is looking right now is pretty lackluster... If he brought in some reserves there'd be no reason to fill in the last two slots with new captures and his team would be a lot stronger than now. Guess we'll have to see what happens x'D

Leonhart

Imagineer
My main worry regarding reserve Pokemon returning is that many of them would certainly sit out. We saw in Shinou that some got left out of matches, and since Satoshi has so many more reserves now, we're bound to see many of them do nothing.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I voted IDK. I honestly have no idea if he will, but personally I would prefer if he didn't. I see every region sort of as its own story, several of the older pokémon are just from so long ago I'm not attached to them at all anymore, or maybe I haven't seen them. I haven't seen a lot of the Unova stuff, I would have to look up which pokémon he actually has there. I feel like for the last couple of regions they've been trying more and more to get each region to be its own independent story without much dependency on past continuity. There's nods of course, but you can just start at Kalos episode 1 or Sun and Moon episode 1 without having seen anything prior and not get lost. The thing is, you can't expect newer viewers to watch 20+ seasons of pokémon just to catch up, by now there's probably a significant portion of viewers that haven't seen the older stuff at all, and all those viewers have no attachment to the older pokémon like Totodile or Bayleef. For all the talks about how late captures would have bad development and little introduction time, effectively introducing an old pokémon at the league itself is the epitome of that for newer viewers, it's an issue that's far more hindering nowadays than it was during the days of Hoenn or Sinnoh, there's a much larger time gap now.

It's just been too long, and by bringing in old pokémon you're also sending the message that his current team isn't good enough and he needs backup. Sure, as they are now they wouldn't win, but we're only 2/3 on the way of Alola. Torracat has already put up a decent fight against Incineroar, Rowlet hasn't done a lot lately but has some really good battle tricks like hiding in its Leafage, it's done great in two Grand Trials and two pre-trials (and at least judging from the opening it might get more stuff to do soonish with Hau and his Dartrix showing up), Lycanroc has received the Tapu Bulu training, has already evolved, and has some good stuff like Accelerock, Counter, Stone Edge, and Rock Throw. Pikachu usually delivers in leagues too, and got upgraded with Electro Web. His team isn't nearly as bad as some people make it out to be, there's a lot of potential there.

Ace Kenshader

Dreaming sexy
Something to keep in mind is that there is no guarantee that there will be an Alolan League at all. Keep in mind this series has already broken quite a few norms in both the game and anime department, so it isn't a stretch to assume that this is a possibility.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Something to keep in mind is that there is no guarantee that there will be an Alolan League at all. Keep in mind this series has already broken quite a few norms in both the game and anime department, so it isn't a stretch to assume that this is a possibility.
Um, are you even following the SM anime properly??? Professor Kukui has mentioned and confirmed multiple times that he would build a League in Alola.

Plus, Ash and Kiawe were both shown to be really enthusiastic and interested about participating in the League Kukui's gonna build. Need any more evidence?

Last edited:

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Yeah, no. It will happen. Otherwise, Ash is wasting his time doing Grand Trials.

That and an Alolan League has been built up in the series, it will happen, like it or not!

Henry's Journey

Thing is this is Ash's most underdeveloped team he EVER had at this point (95 episodes in) in any region, I guess they will rush on developing his Alola team like evolving Torracat, catching Eevee, Poipole returning or the very, very slim chance of Rowlet evolving, it's getting too late for that so it'll all be super rushed (worse if they add a very late catch like Jangmo-o).

If Ash goes to the league with only Pikachu, Lycanroc, Rowlet and Torracat it'll be really underwhelming, I don't know how could he even reach top 8, 4 or top 2 with this team unless the writers pull some epic proportions BS or make the Alolan trainers low level, so if he's not catching anything else then bring on the reserves, the kantonian ones could serve as Let's Go! promo.