• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Will Brock ever come back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokemon fan 132

Well said, made me laugh xD. Yeah, Togepi pretty much became the defining point of Misty's character, I thought it was cute, but thinking back, it does seem a little annoying that every episode involving Misty as a predominant character involved her trying to find a certain runaway Togepi, it was a really overused plot device.

Persoinally i liked Misty just as much when she got Togepi.She didnt became any less active or anything having good share of achievements and having bnaby polkemon taking care of it allowed to show different sides of her.

I agree that Misty didn't get a great character closure compared to what you'd expect from a well written book, but keep in mind that her character closure (The "touching moment in which the female and male main characters reconcile their differences, but ironically must part" cliche) is pretty standard for female characters on TV shows and was executed fairly well in comparison to the way the anime often handles characters leaving.

Leaving with halfway done story with departure being set up as somekind of cliffhanger cant be viewed as closure.Misty left in abrupt way without any real foreshadowing being forced to take over gym which wasnt her desire.

Did she became water piokemon master and achieved her dreams?No.
Was she written out oin a way which serves as indication that further progress with caracter is being made?No.
Was there left unexplored things in Mistys story with plots being left unfinished?Yes.

Unlike say some other characters like May or Dawn she never got any closure. She never achieved her dream or came to some significant realization that will help her achieve her dream. Sure, May didn't win a GF, but she realized that she was too reliant on Ashs training style, set out to establish her own, traveled on her own (or with her rivals), overcame her fear and loathing of Pokemon, etc. She had massive character development and proper closure. Misty didnt. Misty didnt choose to stop traveling with group nor hard interest in running gym.
Furthermore specials after departure didnt offered any progres of plots of her story(like her goal of becoming one type master,potential to be developed more,other aspirations etc)nor there was ignited any change in character of deciding to pursue something else like it happened with Gary or Brock.

Going by any definition of closure in litterature Misty left without any real ending with plots in her story being left open.

I also have to say that you posting the same long, rambling "let's bring Misty back" proposal in almost every thread involving her is kind of getting annoying. I'm not "commanding" you to stop, but I'm just pointing out that constantly talking about it is kind of unnecessary.

And if you didnt noticed im only bringing up this proposition in threads which are appropriate for it like "What would you like to happen","What characters should return" etc.
Only reason why Misty was brought up in here is because i was replying to someones post which talked about this subject.

Her character is closed. Done. As good as dead. She'll probably show up again if there's ever a final reunion episode, but she's not going to become a regular character again. After insisting on changing characters every new series, the show would have a hard time thinking of a reason to just spontaneously revive a character who was only exceptional because she was the first female sidekick.

She probably wont but its not by any means imposible.Misty was replaced in such a way that writers could if wanted bring her back at any point.As we get to see she only take up gym out of obligation later on deciding to stay due to incompetent sisters.In case of return all writers would need to do is to provide realible substitute at gym which would allow Misty to leave invoking desire in character of wanting to travell and catch new water types while learning new things and improving her skills as trainer with purpose being to advance her gol of becoming water pokemon master perhaps which cannot be done at gym.

There are many excuses through which writers could revive Mistys character doing something with it if they want.

That being said if writers ever decide to being one of girls back in my opinion logically speaking Misty has biggest chance to return as main considering how she was part of original trio making this show popular worldwide with Ash and Brock holding iconic status.

Not to mention from story standpoint writers developed her alot less than they had other girls having more room left for further progress having loads of unfinished things on which they could expand.
What im trying to say is that while not big(infact its terribly low)Misty has some small chance of coming back as main character for continuity purposes relieving spirit of older days being recognizable and very popular character in case writers want to try going beyond target audience with purpose of attracting different kind of demographic toward this show(older fanbase)while still keeping new one.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Misty's character, but at the same time I wouldn't have wanted the last 15 years to be the same old Ash, Brock AND Misty acting like traveling Jesus clones (it's no surprised Ash has gotten nowhere in catching pokemon, considering he's compelled to assist every person he meets in even the tiniest of their problems, which is very nice but obviously occupies 70% of his time lol), you need to have changes for the show to stay fresh.

There are plenty of shows which never change cast gradually developing characters instead of dropping them like garbage never to be seen again.Like One Piece,Naruto,Bleach,Dragon ball series etc.

All of this animes kept major cast same being succesfull for years.In order for anime to remain fresh and interesting character replacing isnt necessary as long writers are handling things well and opening new subplots in order to refresh cast and formula of Tv show.
Speaking of pokemon i always thought how Hoenn would be more interesting if Brock left instead of Misty being interesting to see group with two girls for a change.

If Misty returned for awhile to develop her more(let say for one more region or filler arc like Battle Frontier was) wouldnt be bad or anything only acting as breeze of fresh air being nice twist in current formula.
Sure you would probably hate it and i respect your opinion but that doesnt mean others should share same view.

Even if the writers did bring her back, they'd make changes to her (her style being one that we've already seen) which I'd doubt you'd appreciate. They're not going to bring back a cryo-preserved Misty, just like she was in the 90's. To do so would bore Pokemon fans who never liked her in the first place, the kids watching it wouldn't give a crap (so why bother), and the fans that liked her would whine about her not being exactly the same as she was.

Naturally you cant expect that characters remain 100%same as they were when show introduced them.All characters change and mature going through character development which is a good thing.
If Misty was returned to cast she would probably be like she was in chronicles and cameos being abit more mature and selfconfident while at same time keeping older trairs like sarcasm,spunk,caring side,quirks like fear from bugs being abit hotheaded aswell liking to tease ithers(mainly Ash and Brock)as it was showed being nice belend of older and new MIsty.
Nothing wrong with that since it gives character more depth and dimensions to it with majority of people enjoying in Mistys character in specials after departure welcoming her change.

In case of coming back her fanbase judging by their reactions would welcome her nowdays while new kids who dont know about her would view her as any new character giving it a chance.
Speaking of people who didnt liked her character in first place why on earth would writers have to cater to vocal minority which makes tiny fraction of pokemon fanbase?

Ash,May,Dawn,Brock and just about any other character had its share of dislikers not liking their personalities or style but at same time they had many likers with what majority likes being the only thing which counts.You cant please everyone with fans who dont like something always existing.
Same with Misty majority of fanbase liked her personality or didnt had problems with it both before and nowdays(speaking pf recent appearances)being neitral toward character so your assertion how writers would have to change character to cater to couple of dislikers doesnt really hold much ground.

Last edited:

GetOutOfBox

Original Series Fan
Persoinally i liked Misty just as much when she got Togepi.She didnt became any less active or anything having good share of achievements and having bnaby polkemon taking care of it allowed to show different sides of her.

Leaving with halfway done story with departure being set up as somekind of cliffhanger cant be viewed as closure.Misty left in abrupt way without any real foreshadowing being forced to take over gym which wasnt her desire.

Did she became water piokemon master and achieved her dreams?No.
Was she written out oin a way which serves as indication that further progress with caracter is being made?No.
Was there left unexplored things in Mistys story with plots being left unfinished?Yes.

Unlike say some other characters like May or Dawn she never got any closure. She never achieved her dream or came to some significant realization that will help her achieve her dream. Sure, May didn't win a GF, but she realized that she was too reliant on Ashs training style, set out to establish her own, traveled on her own (or with her rivals), overcame her fear and loathing of Pokemon, etc. She had massive character development and proper closure. Misty didnt. Misty didnt choose to stop traveling with group nor hard interest in running gym.
Furthermore specials after departure didnt offered any progres of plots of her story(like her goal of becoming one type master,potential to be developed more,other aspirations etc)nor there was ignited any change in character of deciding to pursue something else like it happened with Gary or Brock.

Going by any definition of closure in litterature Misty left without any real ending with plots in her story being left open.

And if you didnt noticed im only bringing up this proposition in threads which are appropriate for it like "What would you like to happen","What characters should return" etc.
Only reason why Misty was brought up in here is because i was replying to someones post which talked about this subject.

She probably wont but its not by any means imposible.Misty was replaced in such a way that writers could if wanted bring her back at any point.As we get to see she only take up gym out of obligation later on deciding to stay due to incompetent sisters.In case of return all writers would need to do is to provide realible substitute at gym which would allow Misty to leave invoking desire in character of wanting to travell and catch new water types while learning new things and improving her skills as trainer with purpose being to advance her gol of becoming water pokemon master perhaps which cannot be done at gym.

There are many excuses through which writers could revive Mistys character doing something with it if they want.

That being said if writers ever decide to being one of girls back in my opinion logically speaking Misty has biggest chance to return as main considering how she was part of original trio making this show popular worldwide with Ash and Brock holding iconic status.

Not to mention from story standpoint writers developed her alot less than they had other girls having more room left for further progress having loads of unfinished things on which they could expand.
What im trying to say is that while not big(infact its terribly low)Misty has some small chance of coming back as main character for continuity purposes relieving spirit of older days being recognizable and very popular character in case writers want to try going beyond target audience with purpose of attracting different kind of demographic toward this show(older fanbase)while still keeping new one.

There are plenty of shows which never change cast gradually developing characters instead of dropping them like garbage never to be seen again.Like One Piece,Naruto,Bleach,Dragon ball series etc.

All of this animes kept major cast same being succesfull for years.In order for anime to remain fresh and interesting character replacing isnt necessary as long writers are handling things well and opening new subplots in order to refresh cast and formula of Tv show.
Speaking of pokemon i always thought how Hoenn would be more interesting if Brock left instead of Misty being interesting to see group with two girls for a change.

If Misty returned for awhile to develop her more(let say for one more region or filler arc like Battle Frontier was) wouldnt be bad or anything only acting as breeze of fresh air being nice twist in current formula.
Sure you would probably hate it and i respect your opinion but that doesnt mean others should share same view.

Naturally you cant expect that characters remain 100%same as they were when show introduced them.All characters change and mature going through character development which is a good thing.
If Misty was returned to cast she would probably be like she was in chronicles and cameos being abit more mature and selfconfident while at same time keeping older trairs like sarcasm,spunk,caring side,quirks like fear from bugs being abit hotheaded aswell liking to tease ithers(mainly Ash and Brock)as it was showed being nice belend of older and new MIsty.
Nothing wrong with that since it gives character more depth and dimensions to it with majority of people enjoying in Mistys character in specials after departure welcoming her change.

In case of coming back her fanbase judging by their reactions would welcome her nowdays while new kids who dont know about her would view her as any new character giving it a chance.
Speaking of people who didnt liked her character in first place why on earth would writers have to cater to vocal minority which makes tiny fraction of pokemon fanbase?

Ash,May,Dawn,Brock and just about any other character had its share of dislikers not liking their personalities or style but at same time they had many likers with what majority likes being the only thing which counts.You cant please everyone with fans who dont like something always existing.
Same with Misty majority of fanbase liked her personality or didnt had problems with it both before and nowdays(speaking pf recent appearances)being neitral toward character so your assertion how writers would have to change character to cater to couple of dislikers doesnt really hold much ground.

The key thing you're missing in your argument is the fact that Misty is still working to become a water master (or whatever her dream was), she simply isn't traveling with Ash anymore. Keep in mind that since Ash still is very far away from being a master himself, the writers couldn't simply say "And Misty went and owned the world with Psyducks god-mode powers". Her "Master Quest" is going to take probably around the same amount of time Ash's will, the writers had two choices. Keep her and the entire original gang on the show without stopping for 16 years (and counting), or have her leave Ash's company. As far as we know, she's still working on her goal. The writers "ended" nothing, she and Ash simply went separate ways.

Considering the show managed to satisfy most of both the Misty/Ash shippers and the casual fans with her departure (from my perspective, the writers acknowledged a "special friendship" between her and Ash, but at the same time it wasn't over the top. It's exactly what you'd expect from a 10 year old, yet it was still touching (metaphorically speaking) that way the shipping fans could coo over their apparent "romance" without alienating the casual fans who in no way wanted a serious romance between two 10 year-olds), I would say she had the best main character closure. I was sad to see her go, but I thought the episode was pretty well thought out in comparison to your average episode. Not to cheesy, but heartwarming :)

AmusedMilk

Oh, hey, Big Zam!
Maybe a few episodes, but don't expect him to fully come back.

pokemon fan 132

The key thing you're missing in your argument is the fact that Misty is still working to become a water master (or whatever her dream was), she simply isn't traveling with Ash anymore. Keep in mind that since Ash still is very far away from being a master himself, the writers couldn't simply say "And Misty went and owned the world with Psyducks god-mode powers". Her "Master Quest" is going to take probably around the same amount of time Ash's will, the writers had two choices. Keep her and the entire original gang on the show without stopping for 16 years (and counting), or have her leave Ash's company. As far as we know, she's still working on her goal. The writers "ended" nothing, she and Ash simply went separate ways.

I hope you realize how being gym leader has nothing to do with water pokemon master dream she had.
To become one of best water trainers in world requires for someone to become at least strong like E4 members are,maybe even higher and considering how none of gym leaders managed to become that strong by staying at gym shows how this isnt possible to reach by staying there.Infact any gym leader who became something more like Wallace for example left their gyms to travell and learn new things simply because once you reach certain point gym only holds trainers potential back.
One of reasons Misty left gym to travell in first place was because of her dream which cant be done at gym never showng interest in going back until she was called by sisters.

Another fact which is needed to take in account is how it was showed during Whirl Cup how there exist tasks someone needs to accomplish in order to become water master as it was mentioned by prof.Elm who stated how winner gets title "Alpha Omega of that type"mentioning connection between water tournament and water pokemon masters.
Just like Ash does gyms and May or Dawn does contests in order to achieve heir goals,for Mistys goal it was showed how there exist tasks someone needs to enter and win too in order to accomplish this.
Its just that writers never expanded more on whole thing.

If she decided to travell on her own advancing her dreams like May or Dawn did than it could be said how further progress toward her dream is being made,but at this point whole goal is being left pretty much at standstill.

Considering the show managed to satisfy most of both the Misty/Ash shippers and the casual fans with her departure (from my perspective, the writers acknowledged a "special friendship" between her and Ash, but at the same time it wasn't over the top. It's exactly what you'd expect from a 10 year old, yet it was still touching (metaphorically speaking) that way the shipping fans could coo over their apparent "romance" without alienating the casual fans who in no way wanted a serious romance between two 10 year-olds), I would say she had the best main character closure. I was sad to see her go, but I thought the episode was pretty well thought out in comparison to your average episode. Not to cheesy, but heartwarming :)

I will agree how her departure was emotinal and well done but from story standpoint it didnt provided any closure to plots which surrounded her.
Speaking of shippers and most of Misty fans considering how big majority wants her back as main with complaining you can en****er on internet and petitions serving as indicator shows how they were anything but happy that she was replaced.

I can understand them because writers didnt do as much as they could with her missing interactions in group she gave along with wanting to see her developed more on screen.Nothing wrong with that,and having Misty return for awhile with purpose of doing more with her story for let say one more region aswell showing progrss of her dreams being made could be interesting giving satisfactory ending.

Devastator2000

Are you high...?
As a side note, I always found it humorous that Ash and May were supposed to be 10, Misty was supposed to be 12 (I think), and Brock was supposed to be 15. They certainly looked older than they really were.

Yeah, that's always plauged me. I could never really figure it out, I just watched the show.

Astral Arrow

Not a chance. Brock even admitted he wouldn't have much time to travel once he started studying(!). I agree he could make a cameo, but he will never return to the role as main character.

It's the same thing with Misty/May/Dawn. I liked them all equally and were HUGE fans of them, and I had no problem with letting them go, but the PROBLEM I had was we never heard from them again! Ever! No mention of where they were, how they were doing, what new Pokémon they'd caught, etc... and I'm sure it's going to be the same thing for Brock.

Possible cameo in the future? Unlikely, but possible. Return as a main character? Nope, no way.

But of course, that's just my opinion.

EifieChan

Cold *** Honky
Not a chance. Brock even admitted he wouldn't have much time to travel once he started studying(!). I agree he could make a cameo, but he will never return to the role as main character.

It's the same thing with Misty/May/Dawn. I liked them all equally and were HUGE fans of them, and I had no problem with letting them go, but the PROBLEM I had was we never heard from them again! Ever! No mention of where they were, how they were doing, what new Pokémon they'd caught, etc... and I'm sure it's going to be the same thing for Brock.

Possible cameo in the future? Unlikely, but possible. Return as a main character? Nope, no way.

But of course, that's just my opinion.

That's my sediments exactly. I'm going with the "Did Misty become main character again? NO" Line of thinking. I'm sure everyone will miss him and move on. :-/

GetOutOfBox

Original Series Fan
and having Misty return for awhile with purpose of doing more with her story for let say one more region aswell showing progrss of her dreams being made could be interesting giving satisfactory ending.

She. Is. Gone.

Half a decade has passed since she left. Three female characters have passed since then, and none got the picture-perfect story closing you're so obssessed about. At this point, there is no reason why the writers should bring her back and they won't.

The most bizarre thing about this is that the ending you keep insisting she needs to have is called a "And they lived happily ever after" ending. To have a character's entire set of goals and dreams all fulfilled in the end of the book/movie is one of the most cliche and lazy endings there are.

You seem to have ignored the main point of my previous post, she can not hope to become a Pokemon master in the space of time that you propose she gets, they'd have to dedicate at least a saga to her. Think about it like this. Who else wants to be a pokemon master (hint: the answer is Ash /trololo)? That's right, Ash (how'd you guess :O). He's been the main character for 15 years, since the beginning. He's still very far away from becoming a master in any respect, so how do you propose the writers bring Misty back and have her achieve this goal without taking up the rest of the show depicting it?

And FYI, my request still stands, could you stop derailing threads with huge posts dedicated to Misty? This is a Brock thread, not a Misty thread.

pokemon fan 132

She. Is. Gone.

Half a decade has passed since she left. Three female characters have passed since then, and none got the picture-perfect story closing you're so obssessed about. At this point, there is no reason why the writers should bring her back and they won't.

The most bizarre thing about this is that the ending you keep insisting she needs to have is called a "And they lived happily ever after" ending. To have a character's entire set of goals and dreams all fulfilled in the end of the book/movie is one of the most cliche and lazy endings there are.

Im not obsessed about anything im just explaining why in my opinon Mistys return wouldnt be bad as you try to make it to be disagreeing with your point of view.
And to answer your question purpose behind return would be for continuity reasons, to develop her character more exploiting on unown things,tie up loose ends,attrract more of older fans toward this show potentially incresasing TV ratings,bring more humor and different dynamic with her personality,revive spirit of older days etc.

Speaking of Misty good job on missing entire point regarding her story.Its not expected that characters who leave got full closures but there is a difference between character getting some closure and character not getting any closure at all.

Departure you keep bringing up didnt wrap up any of plots going for Mistys character nor specials after departure showed any further progress of its story being made.

While characters like May,Dawn,Brock etc didnt received full closures or achieved their goals they realized what they want to do in their life being sended out in a way which served as indication of their stories and dreams being further developed of screen.In Mistys situation she never achieved her dreams(like goal of becoming water master,desire to learn everything she can and catch legendary water type etc)nor come to some significant realization which would help her to achieve her dreams.
Gym was used as last minute excuse to have character leave not having anything to do with Mistys story with rushed and random departure showing how writers couldnt come up with better reason to get rid of her.
Thats not a closure in any shape or form.

You seem to have ignored the main point of my previous post, she can not hope to become a Pokemon master in the space of time that you propose she gets, they'd have to dedicate at least a saga to her. Think about it like this. Who else wants to be a pokemon master (hint: the answer is Ash /trololo)? That's right, Ash (how'd you guess :O). He's been the main character for 15 years, since the beginning. He's still very far away from becoming a master in any respect, so how do you propose the writers bring Misty back and have her achieve this goal without taking up the rest of the show depicting it?

Why she would have to receive whole show devoted to her?They could simply give her couple of competitions like they did with Whirl Cup to compete in which would serve as indicator of progress toward her goal being made being accompanied with couple of episodes which would fous on character and pokemon training.

Did May and Dawn needed whole show devoted to them in order to do some progression toward their dreams?No.
Misty due to fact of not being co-star wouldnt require large amount of focus like coordinators did not taking up too much screentime from Ashs quest but at same time receiving enough in order to develop character properly doing some step forward regarding its dream.

Also considering how Mistys goal of water master is anime exclusive thing which doesnt exist in games means how writers are not limited where and in how big number they will create anime only competitioms,.

And FYI, my request still stands, could you stop derailing threads with huge posts dedicated to Misty? This is a Brock thread, not a Misty thread.

My intention wasnt to bring her up and i apologize for this but i was only defending my opinions replying to posts which talked about this subject which were directed toward me.

I forget...............who's Brock again? =D

GetOutOfBox

Original Series Fan
Departure you keep bringing up didnt wrap up any of plots going for Mistys character nor specials after departure showed any further progress of its story being made.

While characters like May,Dawn,Brock etc didnt received full closures or achieved their goals they realized what they want to do in their life being sended out in a way which served as indication of their stories and dreams being further developed of screen.In Mistys situation she never achieved her dreams(like goal of becoming water master,desire to learn everything she can and catch legendary water type etc)nor come to some significant realization which would help her to achieve her dreams.
Gym was used as last minute excuse to have character leave not having anything to do with Mistys story with rushed and random departure showing how writers couldnt come up with better reason to get rid of her.
Thats not a closure in any shape or form.

So wait, you're saying it's ok that May/Dawn/Brock didn't receive full closure because we knew they were going to follow their dreams, but Misty needs to actually achieve every single goal she has before leaving the show? Sounds pretty much like your only reason for wanting that is fanboyism.

Why she would have to receive whole show devoted to her?They could simply give her couple of competitions like they did with Whirl Cup to compete in which would serve as indicator of progress toward her goal being made being accompanied with couple of episodes which would fous on character and pokemon training.

Did May and Dawn needed whole show devoted to them in order to do some progression toward their dreams?No.
Misty due to fact of not being co-star wouldnt require large amount of focus like coordinators did not taking up too much screentime from Ashs quest but at same time receiving enough in order to develop character properly doing some step forward regarding its dream.

Yeah, notice that both Dawn's and May's dream was to compete in competitions (no mention of "COMPETITION MASTER!!!!"), a much more achievable goal in the short-term than "I WANT TO BE THE MASTER OF WATER POKEMON BATTLING!!!". Her dream is much more akin to Ash's, than those of Dawn or May. Since Ash still sees plenty of trainers who are just as good as he is, if not better, it's safe to say it's going to take a long, long time for him to become a Master. Since he's the central character in the show, that's fine, but Misty's one of the many female sidekicks, if they bring her back to complete her goal, she'll have to stay with the show for a long time as well, or else be promptly booted right off the show after winning some cheesy, much to easy Championship.

My intention wasnt to bring her up and i apologize for this but i was only defending my opinions replying to posts which talked about this subject which were directed toward me.

Well, most of the fans, me included, are happy with the ending she got. Posting long debates as to why she should come back every time someone mentions her is kind of redundant and isn't going to convert anyone. Just sayin' :p

pokemon fan 132

So wait, you're saying it's ok that May/Dawn/Brock didn't receive full closure because we knew they were going to follow their dreams, but Misty needs to actually achieve every single goal she has before leaving the show? Sounds pretty much like your only reason for wanting that is fanboyism.

Its not to expect any character getting full closure in real sense of that word.Only Tracey so far managed to achieve his goal due to being simple not requiring much of set up.

However unlike Misty above mentioned examples either came to realization of what they want to do in their lives (like Brock going through crisis of not being sure what to do deciding to follow doctors career)or came to some significant realization which would help them to achieve their goals(like May realizing how she is too reliant on Ash style deciding to advance her dreams on her own)beuing sended out in a way which served as indication of their stories being further progressed.

With Misty its entirely different story.She was randomly sended back to gym out of obligation with no real build up or foreshadowing prior to that.She wasnt sended out in a way which serves as indication of further progress toward her story being made nor her character decided to change its career(like Brock or Gary for example did).

She simply took up gym leader responsibillities due to incompetent sisters with her goals and dreams being left at standstill going nowhere.

If she was for example came to realization what she wants to do either deciding to change her career or was sended out to work further toward her dreams(like travelling on her own pethaps)than we could say how her story got somekind of ending.

Ergo she didnt received proper closure considering how plots which formed her story werent wrapped up nor was character replaced in a way which would allow further progress of them.

Yeah, notice that both Dawn's and May's dream was to compete in competitions (no mention of "COMPETITION MASTER!!!!"), a much more achievable goal in the short-term than "I WANT TO BE THE MASTER OF WATER POKEMON BATTLING!!!".

For Mistys goal it was showed how there exist tasks someone needs to enter and win(like Whirl Cup)in order to become water pokemon master like its case with May and Dawn.,
It just happens we didnt see any follow up due to Misty already being planned to be replaced.

Her dream is much more akin to Ash's, than those of Dawn or May. Since Ash still sees plenty of trainers who are just as good as he is, if not better, it's safe to say it's going to take a long, long time for him to become a Master. Since he's the central character in the show, that's fine, but Misty's one of the many female sidekicks, if they bring her back to complete her goal, she'll have to stay with the show for a long time as well, or else be promptly booted right off the show after winning some cheesy, much to easy Championship.

Only similarity between Ash and Mistys goal is in their names,but format of competitions they would have to enter is entirely different with Ashs goal being much harder to achieve due to being required o enter gyms,win leagues and battle E4 and champions.

With Misty in case of coming back it wouldnt be needed to have her join Ash permanently nor have her achieve goal immediatelly.
It would be enough having her back for a region or filler arc in which something with her story like goal would be done defining more whole thing and explaining what possible tasks someone would have to achieve to become what she strived for with some indication of further progress toward her goal being provided.

Her goal of becoming water pokemon master from start wasnt showed as something which would require massive set ups like its case with Ash or long dragged out storylines so that point is moot.However there is no denying that writers left Mistys goal underdeveloped with whole thing going nowhere at this point with gym not having any connections as original series showed.

Well, most of the fans, me included, are happy with the ending she got. Posting long debates as to why she should come back every time someone mentions her is kind of redundant and isn't going to convert anyone. Just sayin' :p

Most fans?I guess you werent present online when Misty was replaced because big majority of her fanbase to this day complains about her not getting proper closure wanting her back.
This can be noticed through several petitions which were made since than,numerous complints which could have been encountered on several sites like pokecommunity,serebi net,youtube etc.
Around 99% of Misty fanbase wants her back and if they were happy that she was replaced they wouldnt demand having her back,would they?

Also im not trying to convert anyone,im just challenging your arguments not agreeing with you.

p.s.Either way im done arguing with you about this in rather inappropriate place.If you want to continue with discussion do it through PMs.

Last edited:

GetOutOfBox

Original Series Fan
Its not to expect any character getting full closure in real sense of that word.Only Tracey so far managed to achieve his goal due to being simple not requiring much of set up.

However unlike Misty above mentioned examples either came to realization of what they want to do in their lives (like Brock going through crisis of not being sure what to do deciding to follow doctors career)or came to some significant realization which would help them to achieve their goals(like May realizing how she is too reliant on Ash style deciding to advance her dreams on her own)beuing sended out in a way which served as indication of their stories being further progressed.

With Misty its entirely different story.She was randomly sended back to gym out of obligation with no real build up or foreshadowing prior to that.She wasnt sended out in a way which serves as indication of further progress toward her story being made nor her character decided to change its career(like Brock or Gary for example did).

She simply took up gym leader responsibillities due to incompetent sisters with her goals and dreams being left at standstill going nowhere.

If she was for example came to realization what she wants to do either deciding to change her career or was sended out to work further toward her dreams(like travelling on her own pethaps)than we could say how her story got somekind of ending.

Ergo she didnt received proper closure considering how plots which formed her story werent wrapped up nor was character replaced in a way which would allow further progress of them.

For Mistys goal it was showed how there exist tasks someone needs to enter and win(like Whirl Cup)in order to become water pokemon master like its case with May and Dawn.,
It just happens we didnt see any follow up due to Misty already being planned to be replaced.

Only similarity between Ash and Mistys goal is in their names,but format of competitions they would have to enter is entirely different with Ashs goal being much harder to achieve due to being required o enter gyms,win leagues and battle E4 and champions.

With Misty in case of coming back it wouldnt be needed to have her join Ash permanently nor have her achieve goal immediatelly.
It would be enough having her back for a region or filler arc in which something with her story like goal would be done defining more whole thing and explaining what possible tasks someone would have to achieve to become what she strived for with some indication of further progress toward her goal being provided.

Her goal of becoming water pokemon master from start wasnt showed as something which would require massive set ups like its case with Ash or long dragged out storylines so that point is moot.However there is no denying that writers left Mistys goal underdeveloped with whole thing going nowhere at this point with gym not having any connections as original series showed.

Most fans?I guess you werent present online when Misty was replaced because big majority of her fanbase to this day complains about her not getting proper closure wanting her back.
This can be noticed through several petitions which were made since than,numerous complints which could have been encountered on several sites like pokecommunity,serebi net,youtube etc.
Around 99% of Misty fanbase wants her back and if they were happy that she was replaced they wouldnt demand having her back,would they?

Also im not trying to convert anyone,im just challenging your arguments not agreeing with you.

p.s.Either way im done arguing with you about this in rather inappropriate place.If you want to continue with discussion do it through PMs.

I totally agree with you in theory, but it's kind of funny when you pull the "you are wrong, I think this, now the conversation is over" tactic right before suggesting it's continued on PM. You're right, this conversation shouldn't be going on here, but you started it, just as you frequently start debates whenever anyone so much as mentions Misty's leaving.

I agree we're wasting space here, so I'll be short and concise. Look around you, quite frankly, very few people give a crap (damn board censors, HURR) that she didn't stay for a decade and a half, nor had every single plot thread relating to her tied. Point out some people here on the forum that you know have been heartbroken for the last 10 years because she left.

Holy crap man, how many times do I have to tell you. A story is not "bad" because every single plot point is completed in the end, quite the opposite. That's a weak plot device that completely ruins a story. It's bland, and most importantly, it doesn't allow the story to continue on in the minds of it's fans.

Regardless, the point remains that there's no need to make a huge post protesting Misty's closure every time someone mentions a character's departure. Whether or not your points hold validity is irrelevant, she's gone, she's had 3 successors making her no more important than them. Posting about it all the time isn't going to change anything, especially since we've all seen the same post from you in every thread relating to Misty.

pokemon fan 132

I totally agree with you in theory, but it's kind of funny when you pull the "you are wrong, I think this, now the conversation is over" tactic right before suggesting it's continued on PM. You're right, this conversation shouldn't be going on here, but you started it, just as you frequently start debates whenever anyone so much as mentions Misty's leaving.

I suggest that you reread the thread because i can assure how im not the one who brought up Misty in first place starting conversation about it.I replied to someones post who tried to imply how one character being gone is coming out from his successor "being more popular" explaining why i dont agree with it.

But i agree,it would be best to stop discussing about this in here.

Point out some people here on the forum that you know have been heartbroken for the last 10 years because she left.

Serebii net is not whole fandom and speaking of people around here well you have always archives to look up and find out general dissapointment about charcter leaving.

Holy crap man, how many times do I have to tell you. A story is not "bad" because every single plot point is completed in the end, quite the opposite. That's a weak plot device that completely ruins a story. It's bland, and most importantly, it doesn't allow the story to continue on in the minds of it's fans.

And Misty was sended out by writers using weak plot device coming up with random excuse of character being forced to take over gym which wasnt part of its story.

Like i said before i agree with you how send off was well done from emotional point adding for imapct but from story standpoint it didnt wrapped up anything.

Posting about it all the time isn't going to change anything, especially since we've all seen the same post from you in every thread relating to Misty.

If you didnt noticed most of time when i mention Misty is either in threads which are made to discuss her or in kind of threads where mentioning older characters is fine(like "Who would you like to return"kind of threads).In threads which are not made to talk about her i only mention he when replying to someone who brought her up in first place with posts being directed toward me.

So before accusing me i would be grateful if you did some research prior to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.