• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Will Chloe become a travelling companion?

Leonhart

Imagineer
Poke Master 7 said:
Knowing these writers, I ain’t holding my breath for anything like that materializing. For whatever reason, this series they’re against having female representation.

Which I find strange considering that Masamitsu Hidaka was open about female characters being switched around every few years to offer new "eye candy" for the audience, yet now apparently they aren't needed in the cast at all. I'm not sure if that's supposed to be a good thing, however. On one hand at least Koharu isn't being treated like a stereotype, but on the other hand she isn't really doing much else, either.

NeganTheSavior

I really hope not. I like Ash and Goh's dynamic. They both have interesting goals and it's fun to see them play out on screen. This is one of those instances where less is more. I can't see Chloe adding much to it.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
She's currently in school like an actual school which teaches actual subjects like math, social studies, and probably classical whatever language this world uses. I'm sure she's not dropping everything to become a trainer.

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
She's currently in school like an actual school which teaches actual subjects like math, social studies, and probably classical whatever language this world uses. I'm sure she's not dropping everything to become a trainer.
Does she even need to in order travel at times? Given the episodic nature of this series, Ash and Go tend to not even spend more than a few days at most in any given place, at times even going to a place and back in the same day. She could very easily be able to travel with them from time to time on days off from school or when school is on break if the writers wanted to.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Which I find strange considering that Masamitsu Hidaka was open about female characters being switched around every few years to offer new "eye candy" for the audience, yet now apparently they aren't needed in the cast at all. I'm not sure if that's supposed to be a good thing, however. On one hand at least Koharu isn't being treated like a stereotype, but on the other hand she isn't really doing much else, either.

One thing doesn't nullify another.

Chloe even being here at all and appearing on OP already fills the quota of eye candy. She's a new girl with a cute face and a young and popular VA after all.

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
One thing doesn't nullify another.

Chloe even being here at all and appearing on OP already fills the quota of eye candy. She's a new girl with a cute face and a young and popular VA after all.
Can’t really say that that does because, by that very logic, any COTD does almost exactly that and still gets more screentime than her. In 28 episodes, she’s really only had full appearances in 2 of them with glorified cameos in others that she has appeared in. She’s barely had any bit of a presence in the show thus far especially for one who is in the opening.

Applecorp

Yeah when you put it that way it would be kind of dumb for her to give up on her schoolwork just to spend some time with Ash and Goh.

She doesn't even like Ash so her spending time with them would probably be a nightmare for her.

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
Yeah when you put it that way it would be kind of dumb for her to give up on her schoolwork just to spend some time with Ash and Goh.

She doesn't even like Ash so her spending time with them would probably be a nightmare for her.
I wouldn’t really say that she doesn’t like Ash as much as that she reacts to him in a realistic manner of not instantly becoming his best friend. You can see that she has been warming up to him gradually over the course of her appearances even having brief conversation. At this point he’s basically gone from total stranger to friend of a friend or acquaintance. I’m sure that as the series progresses that she’ll become more friendly towards Ash.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Can’t really say that that does because, by that very logic, any COTD does almost exactly that and still gets more screentime than her. In 28 episodes, she’s really only had full appearances in 2 of them with glorified cameos in others that she has appeared in. She’s barely had any bit of a presence in the show thus far especially for one who is in the opening.

Thing is she's still kind of meant to be part of the cast. Low amount of appearances on actual episodes or not. So that's why I'd say she counts as far as the staff is concerned

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
Thing is she's still kind of meant to be part of the cast. Low amount of appearances on actual episodes or not. So that's why I'd say she counts as far as the staff is concerned
Well just as is the case with all the supporting cast, they say they’re supposed to be a part of the cast but they’re doing a terrible job at showing it. Pretty much a classic case of show don’t tell.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Poke Master 7 said:
She could very easily be able to travel with them from time to time on days off from school or when school is on break if the writers wanted to.

I suppose that she could, but it seems like the writers just don't want her to travel with Satoshi and Gou, at least not yet. Presumably, they want to wait until she and Satoshi get closer to each other, but they're taking their sweet time making them befriend each other.

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
I suppose that she could, but it seems like the writers just don't want her to travel with Satoshi and Gou, at least not yet. Presumably, they want to wait until she and Satoshi get closer to each other, but they're taking their sweet time making them befriend each other.
Given how long it took for them to actually give Serena a goal and she was a main cast member her entire run, this could take a while.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
The key difference between Serena and Chloe is the former was intended to be the main heroine while the later is a supporting cast. Also Serena's based in the game's main heroine.

I think a better comparasion would be Chloe with Lillie or Lana.

Applecorp

The key difference between Serena and Chloe is the former was intended to be the main heroine while the later is a supporting cast. Also Serena's based in the game's main heroine.

Yeah this. People keep comparing those 2 girls but it's not even the same situation because Serena was always meant to be the main Pokegirl of Kalos while Chloe is more of a side character.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Poke Master 7 said:
Given how long it took for them to actually give Serena a goal and she was a main cast member her entire run, this could take a while.

I think that with Serena they were just too preoccupied with making her look cute and giving her moments with Satoshi for the first year of XY instead of developing her more as a character, whereas with Koharu they gave her other things to do off-screen such as attend school, so they've sort of written themselves into a corner for now.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Idk if this is an unpopular opinion but they should of never made schools a thing in the anime (not Pokémon school but educational ones like Chloe’s with different subjects) because it begs the question of how come people like Ash and co gets actively skip school and not get the basic education that most ten years olds get. I’m probably overthinking it but it’s really odd and I feel like they shouldn’t of even touched on that.
Really, the characters don't age and violate time laws between generations but you're more worried about extremely optional old-school education that constantly fights the highly popular travel-inflicted education.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Really, the characters don't age and violate time laws between generations but you're more worried about extremely optional old-school education that constantly fights the highly popular travel-inflicted education.
Most children (cartoon) shows defy time in their series (Fairly Odd Parents, Spongebob, Naruto (until they had a time gap in between series) etc so no I’m not overly concerned with that.