• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Will Cilan and Iris need personality changes for XY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
So let us pretend Cilan and Iris do return. Would they need a personality change or at least a tone down? From the 3 eps of XY Ash seems a lot more skilled not in battles only but his personality. In todays ep instead of running to register he took his time and thought about how to battle Froakie while in BW he was in hyper ADD mode half of the time. Iris "Your Such a Kid" line would feel out of place (Assuming Ash keeps the style he now has) and while Cilan's word play worked in BW would it fit in a more grown up series like XY? While the anime is and has been for kids there is no denying BW was toned down. It is like OS,AG,DP and XY are Power Rangers and BW was Sesame Street.

Now this is assuming we get them back in XY Heck for all we know it could be most of the old people due to the 20th anniversary coming in two years and us getting a special arc or something.

Professor Stan Oak

Not Samuel, Stan.
Even if Ash is more "mature" as you say, they can still have humor at his expense.

And I disagree on DP being more "mature" than BW - DP was for babies compared to BW, OS, even AG (see: Team Rocket).

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
I think iris would feel a little out of place if she was exactly the same, partially because her personality would clash weirdly with serena's. Serena literally has not one negative thing to ever even think about ash and I don't know how she would react to iris's such a kid schtick.

Honeyichigo

The manliest
I think iris would feel a little out of place if she was exactly the same, partially because her personality would clash weirdly with serena's. Serena literally has not one negative thing to ever even think about ash and I don't know how she would react to iris's such a kid schtick.

Actually, seeing them clash over their opinions of Ash would be a great way for them to interact. We've seen Iris getting along with Dawn, so now let's do the opposite!

Vernikova

Champion
No, they don't need a personality change for any reason. I don't even see where this "one series is more baby-feel than another" thing is coming from. Even if they did need a change, it wouldn't be changed.

Basically, Honeyichigo has it right.

Canada

Banned
It makes no sense to randomly change two characters personalities for no reason, and like others have said, it most likely won't happen.

Sephora

yes I'm back
You are kidding, right? Cilan and Iris don't need a personality change if they get a cameo on XY. Characters have different personalities for a reason; it's not going to just randomly change to match the current XY cast.

And I disagree on DP being more "mature" than BW - DP was for babies compared to BW, OS, even AG (see: Team Rocket).

And I disagree with you :p I found BW to be more kiddish than DP regardless of how temporarily serious TR were.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Well they did kinda change Dawn's personality in BW, so why not? In BW Dawn picked up Iris' "what a kid phrase" and started mocking Ash with it. Back in DP she never did this.

I sometimes wonder if the writers had Dawn start to do that because they already knew they were bringing in Serena at the time, so they made Dawn "distance" herself from Ash so they could bring in Serena who had an obvious crush on Ash. The writers probably wanted to make sure everyone knew Dawn didn't have a crush on Ash, so it would be more obvious when Serena came in.

Canada

Banned
Well they did kinda change Dawn's personality in BW, so why not? In BW Dawn picked up Iris' "what a kid phrase" and started mocking Ash with it. Back in DP she never did this.
*Back in DP the phrase didn't exist.

Teasing someone a few times doesn't mean their personality changed.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I doubt their personalities will change and they really don't need to be changed anyways.

I sometimes wonder if the writers had Dawn start to do that because they already knew they were bringing in Serena at the time, so they made Dawn "distance" herself from Ash so they could bring in Serena who had an obvious crush on Ash. The writers probably wanted to make sure everyone knew Dawn didn't have a crush on Ash, so it would be more obvious when Serena came in.

Dawn's personality didn't change at all, she was the same to me.
I doubt Dawn liked Ash in that way. Sure they were close, but I don't think teasing was any way for the writers to distance her from Ash.

Cilan's personality absolutely wouldn't have to change. Whether or not you think XY is more mature than BW doesn't change the fact that this is still a kids' anime and Cilan's humor would always have a place. Even DP which is often called the darkest of the Pokémon series still had Team Rocket and Brock doing their usual antics every episode. So I don't see Pokémon ever getting mature enough that Cilan's quirks wouldn't work.

Iris doesn't have to change either. She would still be the jungle girl who loves dragons and likes adventure. Even Ash does get too skilled at battling, she could still call him out for being a kid for other things like if his stomach growls and he wants to eat or if he gets impatient about going somewhere.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
I doubt their personalities will change and they really don't need to be changed anyways.

Dawn's personality didn't change at all, she was the same to me.
I doubt Dawn liked Ash in that way. Sure they were close, but I don't think teasing was any way for the writers to distance her from Ash.

Always viewed them more as bro and sis myself and Ash and May as Teacher and student. If Iris is the same hopefully Serena calls her out or something

Id like to see Iris more mature. As much as i hated her in BW, I think she would have n=been much better if she was more mature. Cilan can stay the same as he is. Most of my negative feelings towards him was because he replace Brock, not towards his actual character.

pokemon fan 132

There is no justification really to change Iris and Cilan characterization in any way. Let alone just because XY series have different writing style apparently requiring that others from past get subjected to current atmosphrre and "allegedly more mature vibe new saga radiate with".

Unless behind changes in way they behave or bact is provided somesort of background, explanation through specials or flashbacks happening prior to that or simultanelusly with it which would shed light on certain deviation from usual demanor. And what caused or prompted Cilan and Iris to change happening as result of character development. Which requires set up, several episodes and external factors introduced in character story like it was case with first and only set of chronicles. Somesort of buid up(wont happen obviously).

Ash acted more mature in Hoenn but did this stopped Max from treasing him, May getting into clash or Misty in her cameos still being annoyed by his behavior teasing him out of endeavor coming with sarcastic remarks?

Same applies to Sinnoh and several clashes Ash experinced with various character be it Paul, Angie, Barry etc?

Just because Ash acts more mature and anime is in certain people eyes containg more mature plot doesn't and shouldn't decide how much comedy, clash and drama is allowed for character dynamic and anime to have.

On contrair in every storyline, no matter how lighthearted or gloomy it is humor, wacky antics and lighthearted jokes,pranks and tantrums happening between characters occasionally are desierable and needed to lift up surrounding and bring more energy in interactions, while building on relationship.

So Cilan flamboyant and patient personality being curious and adept in many professions along with Iris hyperactive, wild, snarky attitude would work within Ash, Serena, Clemont and Bonnie characterization just as much like it was case in Unova.

Or even better because collide of different personalities and views on life only borns new, unexpected and different kind of relationship between characters making them more glaring and packed with spice.

From wherever some people got impression that "Dawn was entirely different character during BW cameo" it simply wasnt true. I would never imagine that Dawn finding Iris catchphrase funny deciding to play along with her would cause people pulling out of context act of teasing someone out of endearment, pertaining it to malicious intent of downplaying Ash.

Dawn was on good terms with Ash just as much like she was in Sinnoh, She eagerly awated for Ash arrival in Cynthia mansion, decided to surprise him with her visit seeming very eager when they met each other again. Talked about her interest in pokemon musicals and super model Elesa along with having battle against Ash for old time sake between Quillava and Pikachu only further strengthening friendship existing between them.

Dawn was still girly and optimistic, using her catchphrase "no need to worry". Concerned about her appearance trying to fix hair, cheerful and interested in fashion.

And yes teasing Ash or sometime being whimsical, agitated and angry wasn't something which magically appeared when meeting up with Iris. Dawn got several times in chash or with Ash and others like Barry or Paul, got irritated by others or joked like Conway or Lyra, got annoyed with Ash habits and behavior etc.

Happening long before BW even started.

chalkus

I'd love to see Iris return in XY. She was perfect the way she is so there is no need for change. Cilan on the other hand can remain wherever he is. I would rather see Brock return, even if it is for an episode or two. Of course, I am still holding out hope that Dawn breaks the mold and becomes the first Pokegirl to cameo in two seasons. Serena would probably explode with jealousy. The ratings would go through the roof as well.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I'd love to see Iris return in XY. She was perfect the way she is so there is no need for change. Cilan on the other hand can remain wherever he is. I would rather see Brock return, even if it is for an episode or two. Of course, I am still holding out hope that Dawn breaks the mold and becomes the first Pokegirl to cameo in two seasons. Serena would probably explode with jealousy. The ratings would go through the roof as well.

Dawn's not going to return in XY, and I'm pretty sure Brock is done for good.

chalkus

It would be great if Brock at least came back. He was the ultimate travel buddy. He was a breeder, aspiring doctor and chef rolled in one. It makes more sense for a kid like Ash to travel with him instead of Cilan and Clemont. Brock has more Pokemon knowledge in his pinky finger than those two have combined. Plus, he was great comic relief as well.

Afrodisiac

break up w yo gf, im bored
Iris & Cilan were good characters, they don't need "personality changes". They had lively, unique personalities and showed independency and sassiness which I appreciate.

It's funny how people blame it on Iris' dub phrase yet the same people criticize Ash for his immaturity in Best Wishes (and well, every other series). But It's easy to blame those characters for the lack of success & quality that BW had (which is totally unfair IMO).

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
It would be great if Brock at least came back. He was the ultimate travel buddy. He was a breeder, aspiring doctor and chef rolled in one. It makes more sense for a kid like Ash to travel with him instead of Cilan and Clemont. Brock has more Pokemon knowledge in his pinky finger than those two have combined. Plus, he was great comic relief as well.

Brock overstayed his welcome in the anime for two generations. Most people were bored of him in DP, which is what obviously led for the writers to finally axe him. That's why he didn't return to the cast for XY either and why Clemont is here now.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
So let us pretend Cilan and Iris do return. Would they need a personality change or at least a tone down? From the 3 eps of XY Ash seems a lot more skilled not in battles only but his personality. In todays ep instead of running to register he took his time and thought about how to battle Froakie while in BW he was in hyper ADD mode half of the time. Iris "Your Such a Kid" line would feel out of place (Assuming Ash keeps the style he now has) and while Cilan's word play worked in BW would it fit in a more grown up series like XY? While the anime is and has been for kids there is no denying BW was toned down. It is like OS,AG,DP and XY are Power Rangers and BW was Sesame Street.

Now this is assuming we get them back in XY Heck for all we know it could be most of the old people due to the 20th anniversary coming in two years and us getting a special arc or something.

I don't see how XY is more "grown up" compared to BW. I've seen 14 episodes of XY and aside from Ash being a slightly more consistent character, him having different companions, and the updated animation, there's not much difference between BW and XY imo. I honestly think Iris will return just like all the other female companions have gotten cameo appearances, but I don't see why she would need to be "toned down." People threw stones at her for daring to imply that Ash's skills weren't up-to-par in BW despite every other fan complaining about Ash in BW in real life anyway, and I personally don't think that Iris should change just because some people think Ash is a great battler all of a sudden (even though later XY episodes show that he's capable of losing just like in BW). Anyway, I'd want Cilan to be less comedic if he returns since we have Bonnie for that, but that's about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.