• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Will Cilan Stay for the next Saga? *SPOILERS*

Will Cilan(Dent) be in the next saga?

• Yes

Votes: 38 48.7%
  • No

Votes: 40 51.3%

• Total voters

ChampionRed

Cilan/Dent is a very popular character in Japan. I could see him traveling with Ash for a few more saga's, but probably not as much as Brock had.

He wants to experience different people, places, and Pokémon to increase his skill as a Connoisseur so going to different regions with Ash to experience these different things would help him become a best top Connoisseur he want to be. Well in my Opinion anyways. xD

What do you think

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
No. He has no relevance to Gen 6 and Brock staying for multiple gens was considered a mistake. They won't repeat that.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
No. He has no relevance to Gen 6 and Brock staying for multiple gens was considered a mistake. They won't repeat that.

As shown with Takeshi you don't need to belong to a generation to bea traveling companion, they can just introduce a new girl.

Now I'm not sure but his dream enables him to travel or actually it prompts him to travel and learn about new pokemon and people behaviours, so he definetly has a chance.

Need a maybe there.

Nanami

Banned
Most likely. His VA is so huge after all. Plus Cilan is fab :)

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Most likely. His VA is so huge after all. Plus Cilan is fab :)

They won't keep him. His popularity is similar to that of May or Dawn's when they were around, (or maybe a little less since he's not a female), so I can't see him staying when they were dropped.

Cilan represents Gen V as much as May and Dawn did for their gens. I assure you they will never repeat what they did with Brock.

Ver-mont

It's possible, since they kept Brock for so long. But you never know, maybe the next Gym Leader #1 is also young and willing enough to travel alongside Ash and Gen VI Girl.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
I doubt it.

He has about a year to figure out something to do with himself in Unova. For all we know he can be given something at the absolute last moment.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I don't understand why people keep bringing up past characters as reference points. Do you really think if Kanto/Johto were written the way the show is now, that either Misty or Brock would have continued as long as they did?

I seriously doubt it. Iris proves they don't need to take the main female playable character either, they can just take another random girl Gym leader.

Ver-mont

Iris proves they don't need to take the main female playable character either, they can just take another random girl Gym leader.

Actually, with Gen VI Girl I meant whatever girl travels alongside Ash in the Gen VI anime, since we know there will be one.

Bluelatios*

Its hard to say. I think Cilan was designed as a sort of humor machine for BW to make up for lack of Brock and changing TR. But in order to maintain his funny aspects (which I think are weird anyway), they'll need to give people a break every now and then, go back to Brock, or do something different altogether. I'm going to say no he won't be in the next saga as a main character, but it's really going to depend on what direction they want the show to go and in what way they want to balance the humor.

pokemon fan 132

At this point its hard to tell because judging by past patterns Cilan destiny in this show can go either way. Usual response will be how he is bound to leave because of advertizing purposes,m to make room for new character etc, etc with people basing responses on main females and writers practice of replacing them after every few years.

However going by Jessie, James and Meowth as well Brock example which aren't pokemon main stars like Ash is serves as indication how writers can depending on popularity, circumstances and their own motivation keep characters in main cast from previous generations for extended period of time successfully promoting new games through older cast as well.

So its not completely out of option to expect Cilan staying around, if anything other than being pretty inconvenient and useless to start tradition with male supporting cast changes after every few years as well. Its already bad enough we have girl characters replaced like they're on assembly line with decline in ratings reflecting people annoyance.

It would be certainly welcomes twist in current formula to give us someone stable who could stick around for longer to make sure everything is running smooth, and get more development.
To maintain popularity of long running show you sometimes need stable cast in who people can invest starting to grow on characters, which reassures viewers staying loyal toward some anime increasing its appeal to wider group of people.

Who considered it to be mistake? I doubt writers did, otherwise we wouldn't have Ash and TR stick around for so long.

I don't understand why people keep bringing up past characters as reference points. Do you really think if Kanto/Johto were written the way the show is now, that either Misty or Brock would have continued as long as they did?

You do realize Brock and Misty were originally intended to stay permanently in main cast?

I seriously doubt it. Iris proves they don't need to take the main female playable character either, they can just take another random girl Gym leader.

Something which can go both ways meaning possible reuse of already existing or older character too depending on circumstances. After all its easier to carry over gym leaders to different regions than its case with game protagonists which are more tied to specific generation they originated from.

Last edited:

BlueDragonfangirl

Its hard to tell, Dento is pretty popular and so is his VA and his goal is one of those goals that can keep him apart of the cast for a while and they haven't given him an arc yet to close his character like they did Iris and its almost over, maybe.

xEryChan

Demon Child
I hope so. Dento is a very popular character and not to mention, I love his VA. I sure do hope he does stay.

lidaboy

procrastina...
If Cilan leaves now, where will Sonic's former VA go to now? *sad face*