• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Will Cilan Stay for the next Saga? *SPOILERS*

Will Cilan(Dent) be in the next saga?

• Yes

Votes: 38 48.7%
  • No

Votes: 40 51.3%

• Total voters

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Cilan had a bigger chance staying than Iris, because until info of 6 gen cones, potential travel partners are up there.

But why say that Cilan has a better chance of staying than Iris, and then basically say that they could both leave? I mean I obviously don't agree - I think the chances of Iris staying are higher - but the way you put it is a bit confusing. :x

Um No LOL, the entire battle was just to humiliate Georgia as much as possible to glorify Iris as a bad trainer who rode dragonite to victory.

Iris was not glorified, neither in the anime nor around here. She received so much hate just because she beat her rival with a Pokemon that was technically at a type disadvantage even though we've seen those kinds of battles before. If anything, the fact that she had to be given a Dragonite should prove that she can't leave the main cast yet since her team isn't developed enough to give Iris closure. She needs more development and screen-time, which cannot be said about Cilan.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Well looking back at the past, yes Dento has a better chance but still this is BW where everything is changing.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
Cilan doesn't have a future, so he has more of a chance to stay. Hopefully he doesn't get some random goal inserted at the end of Episode N that completely changes his character path. We've never had that before.

PokemonMasters

Axiomatic Trainer
Iris has to go since she is the opelucid gym leader now.
IMO Cilan will also leave coz i think he'll not go outside unova (just my opinion). And i wud be glad if he went away. Brock was always much better than him!

There's really no way of knowing. They are not focusing on him as much recently and they are focusing on Iris so that could mean that Iris is leaving soon and they aren't focusing much on Cilan because they know he will stay.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Iris has to go since she is the opelucid gym leader now.

Iris isn't a Gym Leader at the moment and even though she probably will become one eventually, it doesn't have to happen when BW ends. If Ash is able to break his promises, then Iris should at least be able to prolong her period of freedom. They're essentially the same thing. Cilan on the other hand, is an actual Gym Leader still as I was so kindly reminded a few months back. He still holds the title so he shouldn't be able to travel around tons of other regions so casually; he has responsibilities.

Iris isn't a Gym Leader at the moment and even though she probably will become one eventually, it doesn't have to happen when BW ends. If Ash is able to break his promises, then Iris should at least be able to prolong her period of freedom. They're essentially the same thing. Cilan on the other hand, is an actual Gym Leader still as I was so kindly reminded a few months back. He still holds the title so he shouldn't be able to travel around tons of other regions so casually; he has responsibilities.

Sadly, the tradition has been established that the girl will leave at the end of her generation. Misty was the only one who stayed for two generations but that's not likely to ever be repeated.

There's really no way of knowing. They are not focusing on him as much recently and they are focusing on Iris so that could mean that Iris is leaving soon and they aren't focusing much on Cilan because they know he will stay.

This is what I've been thinking too.

Ver-mont

Sadly, the tradition has been established that the girl will leave at the end of her generation. Misty was the only one who stayed for two generations but that's not likely to ever be repeated.

Misty stayed for two generations, but she didn't go beyond the original series, which encompassed both. She left when it ended. That's the point: each girls lasts only one series, and I highly doubt Iris will stay unless the next generation/region is still the Best Wishes series.

BlueDragonfangirl

Iris story arc is pretty much done though dispite the fact that shes not a gym leader yet, Dento like I said isn't even close to achiving his goal and hasn't gotten much attention as of late, Brock was a gym leader too yet he was able to travel around for how many years with Ash? Plus he has brothers older than him who can look after the place.

Sarefan

Hylden General.
I'll reserve my judgement till the N saga ends, but how can you possibly like it after that league? the unova league will not only go down as the worst in history, but it's the first time ash has regressed in a league ranking, what a joke.
That doesn't bother me tbh. It is the same as you join competitions IRL. You don't reach a higher position each time you enter one. Pretty realistic imho.

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)

AshXSerena = Canon
I remember when people thought dawn and may were going to stay, look how that turned out?

Cilan isn't staying

Although that's just me hoping.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Misty stayed for two generations, but she didn't go beyond the original series, which encompassed both. She left when it ended. That's the point: each girls lasts only one series, and I highly doubt Iris will stay unless the next generation/region is still the Best Wishes series.

And keep in mind that at the start of Johto there were no girls to replace her with. No female playable character existed at the start of GS, and all the Johto female Gym leaders are too old.

Whitney, Jasmine, Claire, etc. were all adults, none of them was a kid enough to be like Misty or Iris on the cast.

Also if Misty did leave at the end of Orange, she only would have been around for roughly 130 episodes.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer

What promises are you talking about exactly? And even thought she isn't a gymleader she pretty much has the pokemon to pretty much hold her own. It seems like Ash is the one that doesn't really belong in the group with the type of pokemon he has now. And Cilan is an A class whatever it's called, so there really any need for either of them to stay.

pokemon fan 132

Lets face it only reason why people give Cilan higher chance of staying than Iris has is because writers already did exception once with male sidekicks when they kept Brock. But if we are going to talk about making exception to rule, than someone could argue how Iris might be "exception to rule" as well.

Way i see it Cilan chances to stay aren't really promising at all. Of course in theory he might stay but past events doesn't support this theory much at all.

Lack of development and room for further growth? Irrelevant because majority characters which left cast in past had potential to be done more with no one accomplishing his dreams except Tracey. Writing staff pretty much made it painfully clear how character development and doing more with some character creating continuation isn't on list of their priorities. Horrible way of thinking but cruel reality is how advertizing was always infinitely more important than development in pokemon.

To add stability to main cast treating pokemon series story as more cohesive entity? Writers flushed down the toilet this idea when they replaced already established male sidekick who was kept for years for apparent continuity purposes(Brock).

Logically it doesn't make much sense to replace long lived established companion like Brock after more than decade to bring in another guy who will be kept for years. Fact that they did indicates to me how they will try to apply same approach when it comes to male characters like they are dong with girls starting to constantly replace them joining rest of crew of long forgotten and abandoned companions fading into oblivion.

Popularity doesn't mean much either because ton of highly popular characters got replaced already.

In nutshell theoretically Cilan could stay to balance constant cast cycling out and provide additional familiar face to who people could relate associating series with, but right now all factors ad patterns from past especially after Brock being kicked out despite long stay) are pointing in opposite direction.

So while i wouldn't mind Cilan staying if anything because i would find dreadful to have male companions being replaced so often like females are, in reality his chances aren't very good at all.

For stability and continuity purposes, it's better to keep cilan than bringing in two more new characters. Cilan has been here for almost 3 years and he hasn't done much other than cook and bring knowledge. There's no reason why he can't stay.

Ironic thing is that same argument can be used for girl characters stay.

We have so many great companions which have potential to offer more. There are so many new ideas and unexplored directions which could bring new life to Misty, May, soon enough Cilan, Iris etc reinventing and adding a whole new interesting note to them.
And its sad that because of writers laziness we don't see them investing more in someone who proven to be popular coming up with innovative ideas to keep characters interesting and fresh, making us learn new things .Instead of focusing more on one character building up on its story, they are rather introducing constantly new companions giving us fragment of half developed characters which leave unfinished despite having potential to offer more turning anime in mess which lacks cohesive story, have very little continuity and highly unbalanced cast having no brand to which people could associate series with.

Iris has a higher chance of staying in the main cast due to her goal being far off.

From story standpoint your right, with Iris dreams having technically enough material to last for extended period growing on bigger things. Unfortunately story and development doesn't influence character stay at all. Misty had goal of becoming water master having room to be done a lot in that unexplored area, but writers still replaced her leaving unfinished job. Same applies to extent to May which had more to learn about becoming top coordinator etc.

Although originally writers intended to keep Misty as permanent female protagonist, which explains why she lasted a bit longer than other girls did.

Idea of constant character replacing wasn't born until middle of Johto.

Iris story arc is pretty much done though dispite the fact that shes not a gym leader yet, Dento like I said isn't even close to achiving his goal and hasn't gotten much attention as of late,

I doubt this would stop writers in keeping or replacing characters. Since they can always if want do sequel to Iris story or just leave things unfinished about Cilan to make room for new companion.

It wouldn't be first time they did such thing.

I remember when people thought dawn and may were going to stay, look how that turned out?

Don't forget Misty, most didn't expected she will leave at all back than.

DMerle

Guess who's back

He also has two brothers running the gym, similar to how Brock has Forrest. The chances of Cilan progressing and trying to become an S-class connoisseur are probably way more likely than him going back to being a gym leader.

ludiloco

Now that I think about it, for what reason Iris is traveling with Ash? Pikachu didn't crisp her bike and Ash never asked her to join him. Her intoduction seemed a little bit forced.+

Iris has no chances of staying if there's a new generation to come. Dento has some chances, but I don't want him to stay.

Whitney, Jasmine, Claire, etc. were all adults, none of them was a kid enough to be like Misty or Iris on the cast.

Whitney could've worked well in the main cast, she might look grown-up but she has that kiddish behavior when she loses (in the games I mean) that would've benn funny to watch.

He also has two brothers running the gym, similar to how Brock has Forrest. The chances of Cilan progressing and trying to become an S-class connoisseur are probably way more likely than him going back to being a gym leader.

Now many trainers choose Oshawott because there's no Pansage to ruin their first gym challenge by disadvantage xD

DMerle

Guess who's back
Now many trainers choose Oshawott because there's no Pansage to ruin their first gym challenge by disadvantage xD

And even if he does return he seems to have acquired a Crustle fixation during his travels.

Last edited:

LizardonX

Banned
Now that I think about it, for what reason Iris is traveling with Ash? Pikachu didn't crisp her bike and Ash never asked her to join him. Her intoduction seemed a little bit forced.+

To boost her self esteem by always having someone to insult of course.

Pansear

xEryChan

Demon Child
If you ask me, Cilan has much better chance of staying then Iris does. She's leaving to become the gym leader of Opelucid City. If they had Cilan leave, who would travel with Ash then? Maybe he should travel alone for once.