• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Will death ever be touched?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Maybe anime aimed at kids have explored the topic of death and tossed it into the plot. I know in Digimon it has happened so do you think in the anime it will ever be touched on? like maybe one of Charizard dies or an upcoming character dies. I always thought it would be interesting in the game if the champion dies right before you can face them or after you beat them form a heart attack or something.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
It was in some movies.

NPT

Just a member
Dr. Yung died in the Pokémon Mirage Mastermind spacial.

Last edited:

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
Fricking Lucario died you can't tell me death was never touched.

YOU SAW SIR AARON DIE TOO. ;-;

Hey, I'm happy death isn't a big part of Pokemon. I cry when my favorite characters die.

Kofii

Hunter J got blown up in her ship.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
It usually just happens in movies and special episodes, but even then it's never graphic. I loved the various Digimon anime because the concept of death seemed more real in those. In Pokemon however, things are constantly bright and happy and whenever a character does die, the writers completely gloss it over or tone it down (I'm looking at you, Hunter J).

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
It usually just happens in movies and special episodes, but even then it's never graphic. I loved the various Digimon anime because the concept of death seemed more real in those. In Pokemon however, things are constantly bright and happy and whenever a character does die, the writers completely gloss it over or tone it down (I'm looking at you, Hunter J).

Yeah I thought J survived after rewatching it because there was like a sparkle but it was never talked about. Ash never even asked where is J

Fricking Lucario died you can't tell me death was never touched.

YOU SAW SIR AARON DIE TOO. ;-;

Hey, I'm happy death isn't a big part of Pokemon. I cry when my favorite characters die.

I only saw like 30 mins before getting bored. None of the movies have been good to me since Movie 7

Acdog

Dr. Yung died in the Pokémon Mirage Mastermind spacial.

No, they never found a body. It's possible he got out.

Also, Celebi died and was brought back to life in the 4th movie. Ash was turned to stone in the first movie. Although, in my opinion the death of Celebi was probably one of the saddest moments in Pokemon.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
I think Charmander, the Stray Pokemon was the earliest episode that brought up the possibility of death in plain language.

Other episodes.

The Ghost at Maiden's Peak (she and her lover passed)
The Tower of Terror (Ash was dead for about 30 minutes)
Ninetales' Master in Just Waiting for a Friend (he and all his servants dead)
The Dragon Holy Land Dragonite's Trainer (Johto) (When Dragonite's backstory was explained)
Celebi and Joy (Ritchie travels back in time to prevent a death)
A Shipful of Shivers (The Ghost Pokemon's Master is dead)
The Origin of Mewtwo (All of the Clones except Mewtwo die)
Pokemon Shipwreck (they hold a funeral service at the beginning of the episode)

There's more but yeah. It's been done in the anime.

Ash is also familiar and acknowledges the possibility of death in Sparks Fly for Magnemite.

I only saw like 30 mins before getting bored.
... let me show you the door ...

But seriously, that movie is pretty much everything you're looking for in regards to this topic.

Last edited:

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
I really wanted the death of alder's pokemon to have been a thing that the anime showed but it seems he got shafted almost to the same point as Steven

DjangoCribbs

Yeah, 'cos Digimon is really brutal when it comes to character fates... Sorry, I'm just trying to think of a good guy single character in Digimon who dies and doesn't get either straight-up resurrected or they turn out to have had a miraculous escape... There must be some but I can't think of any right now. And don't you dare say Data Squad. That series doesn't count. It's bad, even by Pokemon/Digimon standards.
Although Digital Monster X-Evolution is a bit more brutal. Dukemon and Metal Garurumon are as "immortal" as you'd expect but Leomon gets shafted worse than normal.

I think Charmander, the Stray Pokemon was the earliest episode that brought up the possibility of death in plain language.

Other episodes.

The Ghost at Maiden's Peak (she and her lover passed)
The Tower of Terror (Ash was dead for about 30 minutes)
Ninetales' Master in Just Waiting for a Friend (he and all his servants dead)
The Dragon Holy Land Dragonite's Trainer (Johto) (When Dragonite's backstory was explained)
Celebi and Joy (Ritchie travels back in time to prevent a death)
A Shipful of Shivers (The Ghost Pokemon's Master is dead)
The Origin of Mewtwo (All of the Clones except Mewtwo die)
Pokemon Shipwreck (they hold a funeral service at the beginning of the episode)

There's more but yeah. It's been done in the anime.

Ash is also familiar and acknowledges the possibility of death in Sparks Fly for Magnemite.

... let me show you the door ...

But seriously, that movie is pretty much everything you're looking for in regards to this topic.

I think all your references are from OS, thus proving the OP's point. No wonder people still like OS though. A show needs to show all shades.....even dark ones.

But I think Cyrus and J had good indirect deaths. (J was an open-ending truthfully)

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
In litwik's mansion, ash and them would have all died in the shadow realm, and TRio's energy and life was being drained from their body.

Teapot

Sweaty Toad
The Anime does have death, as explained above, but its obviously been added in very subtly. Well, that's really the right choice, since if it was too obvious, the little kids would get upset. Then again, Celebi dying was pretty obvious and brought tears to my eyes, so some things like that have been made deliberate, as to emphasize this point. If not, the Pokémon World would be too happy and smiley and stuff, and nothing dies and everyone's immortal and never fatally hurt.

fitzy909

Just another guy
I really wanted the death of alder's pokemon to have been a thing that the anime showed but it seems he got shafted almost to the same point as Steven

that would have been cool, but sadly they didn't feature it.

however, didn't lucario die in M08? He dies towards the end of the film and doesn't latios die in M05?

An00bis

Wicked Witch
I think all your references are from OS, thus proving the OP's point. No wonder people still like OS though. A show needs to show all shades.....even dark ones.

Celebi and Joy was Advance Generation. So was Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon where Dr. Yung apparently committed suicide.

There were some later-day references to death but I went with episodes that people likely have seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.