• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Will Decidueye, Typhlosion and Samurott get new forms?

Flame Haji

Ground Gym Leader
In Pokemon Masters EX, I believe they have Hilbert's Samurott physically do that for its Sync Move animation, so it's probably not out of the question?
It does, and it looks cool!

I don't know if they need new forms, it seems to me that they come from distant places, and are not local.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I'd absolutely love it, but I don't think it's likely. That said we have seen less predictability over time...instead of a third game with Gen V and VII, we get a sequel/four games. Gen 8 merged cross-gen evos with regional variants. So I could buy it.

Julia Artemis

Only reason I think there's some chance is because of the Galarian legendary birds. Also it's suspect we haven't seen the final evos yet. Obviously could be wrong but would be a fun twist. Regardless hoping the remaining starter Pokemon will now be available. Really want to use my Contrary Serperior again

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
We only just started getting news on the game. Us not knowing about evolutions is perfectly normal.

Julia Artemis

Yeah maybe, but still odd since in theory we absolutely know about the evolutions of the starters and have used them a decent amount of time. If this was a game with new starters I wouldn't think that was weird, obviously

Akashin

Yeah maybe, but still odd since in theory we absolutely know about the evolutions of the starters and have used them a decent amount of time. If this was a game with new starters I wouldn't think that was weird, obviously
It could go either way. They could be avoiding showing anything because there's something to hide, or they could just not be concerned with it because there isn't anything to hide, and therefore making a point of showing the evolved forms isn't a huge deal.

Starspinner

Unless they do something like an Alternate Evolution through an Item or Condition.
Like Eevee has weird DNA to allow it to evolve into various forms, maybe they could just add a "special item" which reacts differently with Other Region Pokemons causing them to evolve in a different way (no need to rely on the "adapting to region" concept altogether).

There is also the example of Pokemon like Pikachu, Exeggcute, Cubone, Koffing, Mime Jr.
All of them don't have a Regional Form of their own, but do have Regional Evolution.
And those evolutions are triggered in the related region only irrespective of their origin (aka., a Pikachu would evolve into a Alolan Raichu when it evolves in Alola, even if it was brought from Kanto or any other Region). There is no mention of "adapting to region" concept for them.

You are forgetting one key point.
In those Games itself (like in Sun/Moon & Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon), if you transfer say a Pikachu or Cubone from Kanto or any other Games (in which they are available) to those games, they would always evolve into their Alolan form.

Now i understand that the local caught variants (aka., those caught in Alola) being subjected to "adapting" would have no choice to evolve in their Regional Evolution, but why is it even allowed for non-local variants (those transferred from other games) as well?

Like, if one wants to get a Kantonian Raichu or Kantonian Marowak in Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon, they would have to evolve them in the Ultra Space, even local Alola variants (aka., those caught in Alola) would evolve to Kantonian variant in Ultra Space.

This just proves that, while the lore does focus on the "adapting" part, GF don't really follow it that strictly themselves. Because if they had wanted, they could have locked Regional Evolutions to pokemon caught in those regions only (aka., only a Pokemon with a Caught region of Alola could evolve to an Alolan form).
Maybe regional variants came about because their regular form altered the region. For example, Trainers could have brought Pikachu to ancient Alola without realizing that it wasn't suited for the climate at the time. Consequently, Pikachu changed the environment over time to create ideal conditions for a new evolution that could handle it. Therefore, other Pikachu that come thereafter would always evolve into Alolan Raichu. If this is the case, however, then regional variants are still unlikely for the Legends Arceus starters because they don't have enough time to change their region.

On the other hand, this still doesn't rule out special items for unlocking unique regional forms. For instance, Professor Laventon could create a special item for your starter at the end of the game to access this form. As an exchange, you would have to find several rare items (some of which could lie near the berserk Pokemon). Following Legends Arceus, the device could become lost in history. This could result from numerous developments, including lack of the materials and Professor Laventon's mention in Sinnoh's history. Thus, special items for the Legends Arceus starters could be inserted into the Pokemon world a lot easier than regional variants.

Last edited:

Starspinner

- While I agree it's not too much of a stretch to equate Typhlosion with daimyo due to its design, I find it unlikely that it has much in common with "cannoneers". Firearms and artillery were brought over by the Europeans in the sixteenth century--and even then, they weren't implemented in combat for a few decades. I think the volcano interpretation fits best in this case; volcanoes have many ties to legends, deities, and folklore, after all.

- To add:
Kanto starters: They have nothing to do with pre-modern Japan, and they have Mega evolutions and Gigantamax forms... like, really? (Don't forget Venosaur and Blastoise received the same treatment Gen VI meted out to Sceptile and Swampert in SwSh, though!)

Johto starters: Meganium is the cover 'mon of New Pokemon Snap and Feraligatr is an alligator, which isn't even native to Japan. Typhlosion could be a myriad of things indigenous to Japan, but not so much that it warrants a new form. While the Cyndaquil line is the only "native" (or rather, continental--provided Unova and Alola are indeed based off the United States and Hawaii) starter in Legends, Kansai and Hokkaido are radically different regions. The species would require time to adapt. (Even so, I'd say there's hardly a need due to Typhlosion's inherent nature. It would get along quite well in Hisui.)

Hoenn starters: Seeing as Hoenn is based off of Kyushu (located on the opposite end of Japan), which boasts its own near-extinct Ryukyu culture and unique fauna; I feel having any of those starters in Hisui would be counterintuitive.

Sinnoh starters: They've been shown to be native to the region, and I share the sentiment that it might be possible for Torterra, Infernape, and Empoleon to have new forms. That being said, only Empoleon warrants it in proper due to the general application of the term "emperor" the world over. I don't see the need in the other two instances where Torterra is the token "tortoise landmass" mythos while Infernape is the product of the Journey to the West saga, a tale that is popular across the Asian continent.

Unova starters: Serperior is not reminiscent of Japanese serpent legends. As for Emboar, I too believe it was overlooked because of repetitive typing, but it also has a very mainland(?) quality to it. Samurott was a given because it is the embodiment of something so distinctly Japanese. (And it is for that reason it requires no variant.)

Kalos starters: Gen VI presented us with the first cohesive group of third stage starters with human counterparts. Greninja had its time in the spotlight (plus, little-known fact, but ninja and samurai were not counterparts: the former did not come into existence until the sixteenth century or thereabouts), and Chestnaught and Delphox are deeply entrenched in European culture and have no place in the equivalent of pre-modern Hokkaido.

Alola starters: The decision to use Rowlet was a wise one, as archers have a place in Japanese legend and history; Hisui is a fine home for a Decidueye. Incineroar and Primarina are much too modern (and western) to figure into the cultural landscape of the setting.

Galar starters: This would be pointless, since you have them in SwSh. (Besides, imagine how ridiculous a drummer or soccer player or secret agent would be in pre-modern times!)

That being said, I can see GF re-imagining many starters they passed over from Generations IV through VIII with relative ease:

- A taiga or arctic Torterra (think of a fusion between Avalugg and Torterra)
- Infernape that more closely resemble native Japanese monkeys known for their fondness of hot springs
- Empoleon based on high-ranking members of the Japanese imperial court
- White Serperior reminiscent of those featured in Japanese lore
- Quadrupedal Emboar that run amok in the mountains
- A leaner, warring states period-style Chesnaught clad in plates that look like yoroi
- Delphox as a full-on kitsune trickster
- Greninja could be vagrant warriors or thieves (not really sure about this)
- Kabukimono Incineroar
- Noh Primarina
- Taiko drummer Rillaboom
- Performer Cinderace (there was a type of hackensack played in the courts, too)
- Scout Inteleon

In Pokemon Masters EX, I believe they have Hilbert's Samurott physically do that for its Sync Move animation, so it's probably not out of the question?
Your post also gave me an interesting idea for a regional form of Typhlosion. What if Typhlosion became a Fire and Water-Type with its Hisuian variant or special item?

Nave

Maybe the starters will get something related to the new Battle Styles. Like, they change form depending on whether you use Agile or Strong Style.
I can totally see Samurott do a different stance depending on what you choose.

Kein

AKA Silktree
The BDSP trailers don't show the fully evolved starters, either. No one finds that suspicious.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
The BDSP trailers don't show the fully evolved starters, either. No one finds that suspicious.
They leaked awhile ago. Apparently Turtwig evolves into a Grass/Ground Type, Infernape evolves into a Fire/Fighting Type, and Piplup evolves into a Water/Steel Type.

Take this with a grain of salt though because why would GameFreak repeat the same Fire/Fighting combo with another starter after we just got Blaziken in ORAS? What are they going to do next, have the next remakes feature a Fire/Fighting Type?

Julia Artemis

They leaked awhile ago. Apparently Turtwig evolves into a Grass/Ground Type, Infernape evolves into a Fire/Fighting Type, and Piplup evolves into a Water/Steel Type.

Take this with a grain of salt though because why would GameFreak repeat the same Fire/Fighting combo with another starter after we just got Blaziken in ORAS? What are they going to do next, have the next remakes feature a Fire/Fighting Type?

Fire/Fighting after Blaziken? I don't believe it! That's way too soon. What's next a fire Fighting pig?

Luthor

Imagine if they did something unexpected and made the Oshawott, Cyndaquil and Rowlett similar to the partner Pokemon from the lets go games and unable to evolve but with boosted stats and new moves. I don't think they will go that way but it would certainly be a shock.

ckd89

cyndaquil is pretty good but I think could use hisuian evolutions I think it should be rock fire and electric
but we'll see when we all play the game glad they're doing something different but still pokemon I know this sounds far fetched I want a battle revolutions 2 for switch with free dlc pokemon from every single generation and the legends series of pokemon games for example mew arceus and hisuian growlithe and i saw this on pokemon home last night we would have a record of 898 pokemon in pokemon legends arceus

thedarkdragon11

P4P Elite
Possibly?

Another possibilities I can think of are:
  • Hisuian evolution for Quilava, Dewott and Dartrix...
  • Bond Phenomenon Ability (similar to Battle Bond) for Typhlosion, Samurott and Decidueye...

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
If the starters are getting Hisuian forms/evolutions, I'm hoping we'll be able to transfer them into Legends from other games once we get Home connectivity so we can get multiple of them. I caught a shiny Oshawott in Pokemon Go during the last community day, & I'd love to evolve it into either a Hisuian Dewott or Samurott

Shiny Venusaur

Internet Relic
While I think regional forms (in general) were going to make an appearance in the game, I would have said no chance for the starters to receive different evolutions. Now however, I think there's a legitimate chance that they could. Or at the very least, I wouldn't be shocked if they did, but also wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.

I think as it stands, the three final forms fit just fine thematically with the region and what atmosphere they're trying to create.