• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Will Downloadable Content Change Gaming Forever?

Primal Crusader V

Watch some MANime
I'd like certain companies to keep their major software only as hardware, like The Elder Scrolls and Call of Duty. I know this is the wrong forum for this, but the Nintendo 3DS's eShop is rendering classic handheld gaming harmless. In other words, it's not authenticated as hardware, of course.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
Games with Day 1 DLC make me furious, but incomplete games are the worst. Final Fantasy XIII-2 doesn't even have an ending. It ends with "To Be Continued,"
At least you didn't try to go for the secret ending. Boy, was that a F.U.C.K.I.N.G disappointment. I spent an extra 30 hours after I finished the main storyline trying to collect all 160 fragments (didn't used YouTube because I wanted te secret ending to be a HUGE surprise), and what do I get? Talking. Freaking talking! I'm not gonna say who talks, but it's just someone foreshadowing (or just simply telling us that XIII-2 has no ending because they want to milk the fuk out of the horrible XIII story) with a minute and few seconds long speech. I wanted to get the platinum anyways, but that secret ending... Just a big kick to my balls by the people at Square Enix who approved of that shi!TTY secret ending. FUK! You people out there who hated Mass Effect 3's endings, those endings were GODLIKE and a MASTERPIECE compared to XIII-2's ending...
Some companies do a really good job of their DLC (mainly fanservice outfits and stuff that you wouldn't really miss in the actual game), but I swear other companies like Square Enix and Crapcom are just trying to see how far they can go before people start to complain.
See, that's the problem. DLC has both been a GOOD and a BAD thing.

The Good: It can make the gamer keep the game long enough (prevent trade-ins shortly after launch), anticipating the next DLC a couple of weeks or a month or two after launch, and make the community happier. It can also enhance the game by adding a few weapons/skins/characters DLC for free or a dollar or two

The Bad: A lot of developers abuse DLC. For example, Street Fighter X Tekken's DLC characters, Marvel Vs Capcom 3's Jill and Shuma Gorath, Mortal Kombat's (2011) Skarlet, Mass Effect 3's From Ashes DLC character. These characters were already in the game, complete with voices, moves, and, character models, but were locked because the developers wanted to sell them as DLC (which in their eyes mean Disc-Locked Content) and sell them for way more that they're worth

PS. Oops! Forgot to mention Blazblue. $7 for ONE character??!! Not even Scamcom/Crapcom/"InsertWittyComment"com is that bad!

Rezzo

Occasionally
They are not thieves, they just want to make money just like every other business.

I'm sorry but when a game supports online multiplayer but doesn't support split screen, it's extortion. Yes you could argue that it's an advertising technique and a very good one at that, but removing a basic feature that means my 2nd controller gathers dust is the same as robbing me of my money.

Mister_SGG

I paid for a game, I really shouldn't have to pay more money as time goes on just to play it.

I'd rather have a hard copy of all my games but that's just me.

I love having the physical thing so much more. My mom bought me a Kindle for Christmas and I hardly ever use it over my actual books.

Calamity™

aka Lamia
I'm not actually too bothered about DLCs when it comes to things like adding new characters to games, or even creating alternate costumes. The latter being completely your choice. The only kind of DLC that would annoy me is the ones in FFXIII. I haven't played the game yet, so I don't know if this is 100% accurate, but apparently you buy different endings to the game. That's something that DLCs should not be used for!

Rezzo

Occasionally
Sorry Rezbro, some idiot posted CAD, your thread now sucks.
FINE I'LL LOOK AT IT.

This should sum things up:

http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/

Personally, even though I don't pay for DLC, I still think this whole thing is ridiculous. We already bought your game, what more do you want from us gaming companies?

Wait, all that summed up is that the ending to ME3 is ****. I don't see how that's relevant.

Before this thread is ruined by even more CAD ****, I found this gem on /v/ a few minutes ago.

[img139]http://i44.*******.com/woc48.jpg[/img139]

Think of the Toppings as extra characters and alternate endings, and other things that should be included WITH the game, and the Bonus Extra as an additional campaign.
I think this actually sums up the situation very well.

Rezzo

Occasionally
I'd like certain companies to keep their major software only as hardware, like The Elder Scrolls and Call of Duty. I know this is the wrong forum for this, but the Nintendo 3DS's eShop is rendering classic handheld gaming harmless. In other words, it's not authenticated as hardware, of course.

Bloody hell, only use big words if you know what they mean. And I didn't even think that hardware was such a big word.
Um I think I know what you meant though. Discs and cartridges are nice to have lying around and if you're like me it doesn't matter how many consoles you end up having, the games will always work.

Before this thread is ruined by even more CAD ****, I found this gem on /v/ a few minutes ago.

But... but it's from /v/...

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
Because it's Bum Tickley. He can't write or draw to save his life.
But his fans suckle his teets so much that his ego is larger than any planet in our galaxy.

Agreed.

At least you didn't try to go for the secret ending. Boy, was that a F.U.C.K.I.N.G disappointment. I spent an extra 30 hours after I finished the main storyline trying to collect all 160 fragments (didn't used YouTube because I wanted te secret ending to be a HUGE surprise), and what do I get? Talking. Freaking talking! I'm not gonna say who talks, but it's just someone foreshadowing (or just simply telling us that XIII-2 has no ending because they want to milk the fuk out of the horrible XIII story) with a minute and few seconds long speech. I wanted to get the platinum anyways, but that secret ending... Just a big kick to my balls by the people at Square Enix who approved of that shi!TTY secret ending. FUK! You people out there who hated Mass Effect 3's endings, those endings were GODLIKE and a MASTERPIECE compared to XIII-2's ending...

So glad I didn't buy FFXIII-2.

PIZZA.jpg

Think of the Toppings as extra characters and alternate endings, and other things that should be included WITH the game, and the Bonus Extra as an additional campaign.

HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO PLAY EAT THIS ONLINE MULTIPLAYER GAME PIZZA WITHOUT MY ACTIVATION KEY DRINK?!

But... but it's from /v/...

/v/ can be funny.

Jb

Tsun in the streets

LIES. DLC never looked so good.

Mark_Chaos

WARP EVOLUTION!

Great... now I'm hungry... You couldn't have used another analogy?

Chris

Old Coot
I was also going to point out the absurdity of linking CAD for using the **** awful logic Buckley went with (and he's basically repeated the same comic, as he already did one of these before), but everyone beat me to the punch.

You want a good example of how DLC should be handled? Let's look at a recent release.

Tales of Graces f offers you the ability to purchase Titles that allow you to change costumes, bonus perks such as level boosts, bonus EXP and Gald and so forth. The Titles and costumes are all programmed in the game. But guess what? You can access those Titles through normal gameplay, meaning you aren't forced to shell out money to access that content. If you want it ahead of time, there you go. But if you're patient, you can still earn them by playing regularly. The only DLC that's locked out is the pre-order bonus Titles, but they don't offer much that you couldn't gain with the rest of the Titles in-game aside from Tales of Destiny outfits for three characters. THAT is how DLC should work.

Japan has additional costumes that can't be accessed through regular gameplay, sure. However, those were all made after the game was released, as well as exist solely on the PS3 version.

Bad example of DLC? Virtually every recent Capcom game.

Zero Nexus

Stand up, go for it
I can see why people dislike the practice, but personally it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

If there's (useful) DLC for a game I enjoy, I buy it. It's that simple. I like supporting games post-release and have no problem paying a bit more for extra goodies. Expansion packs, and stuf like more levels and characters I pretty much always buy. Stuff like extra costumes and music packs it depends on whether I can be bothered or not.

But seriously, I'm sure I'm not the only one sick to death of seeing people p*ss and moan about these things. Yes, some DLC packs are pretty pointless and could have been included. But it's not the end of the world. There's no reason to repeat the same ranting crap over and over that no publisher is actually gonig to see.

Let me just say one thing - the videogame market is a get-what-you're-given place. If you want the publishers to carry on making your shiny new games, you'd better do what they say. People whine about DLC, but me and them both know that those same whiny pricks are just gonna buy it all anyway.

And to be honest, I really don't think WHEN the DLC is released makes the slightest bit of difference. Whether it's released the day the game came out or 5 months later, it's just going to be exactly the same. Just look at Left 4 Dead 2 - it came out nearly 3 years ago and yet the DLC packs have been spaced out quite a lot, with one on the horizon even now.

That's another good thing about DLC - its for the publishers to ensure people still play their game after a while. Surely you can't fault them there.

I do agree some publishers take the p*ss with DLC, but I think we're all starting to realise this is the norm now. I've accepted that, and for everyone else's sake I suggest you do the same.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 doesn't even have an ending. It ends with "To Be Continued,"

There's a difference between not finishing a game and ending it on a cliffhanger. It's called leaving the audience hanging, it makes them want more. It makes people wanna know what happens next, so people will expect and look forward to a sequel or DLC that explains what happens.

Last edited:

Night Shadow

BRRAAP BRRAAP
Tales of Graces f offers you the ability to purchase Titles that allow you to change costumes, bonus perks such as level boosts, bonus EXP and Gald and so forth. The Titles and costumes are all programmed in the game. But guess what? You can access those Titles through normal gameplay, meaning you aren't forced to shell out money to access that content. If you want it ahead of time, there you go. But if you're patient, you can still earn them by playing regularly. The only DLC that's locked out is the pre-order bonus Titles, but they don't offer much that you couldn't gain with the rest of the Titles in-game aside from Tales of Destiny outfits for three characters. THAT is how DLC should work.

That's a fine example for some games, but that shouldn't apply to all. Gears of War for example, have been great with their DLC. While they add multiplayer maps, it also comes with new modes or story content stuff for a reasonable amount of money. I don't feel short changed at all with them. There's plenty of content already, Epic is just saying, "Hey, we made more game modes. If you don't want them, that's fine. But if you do, you can buy it for a reasonable amount."

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
I can see why people dislike the practice, but personally it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

That's because we all know that you like buying crappy games.

If there's (useful) DLC for a game I enjoy, I buy it. It's that simple. I like supporting games post-release and have no problem paying a bit more for extra goodies. Expansion packs, and stuf like more levels and characters I pretty much always buy. Stuff like extra costumes and music packs it depends on whether I can be bothered or not.

And that's fine but the problems stems from when the DLC is announced. If the DLC is announced to be a launch day DLC then it is being sneaky as people only just brought the game and already the company wants the customer to pay more. It also raise the question if it is day one DLC then why isn't it on the disk why is the customer is being ask to pay more for the full packages.

But seriously, I'm sure I'm not the only one sick to death of seeing people p*ss and moan about these things. Yes, some DLC packs are pretty pointless and could have been included. But it's not the end of the world. There's no reason to repeat the same ranting crap over and over that no publisher is actually gonig to see.

Just because you like wasting your money doesn't mean other people does. There is the right way to do DLC and there is the wrong way, guess which one the publisher chooses.

Let me just say one thing - the videogame market is a get-what-you're-given place. If you want the publishers to carry on making your shiny new games, you'd better do what they say. People whine about DLC, but me and them both know that those same whiny pricks are just gonna buy it all anyway.

I knew you were stupid but I didn't release just how stupid you actually are. People don't have to do to what the publisher says, if they feel that the publisher is trying to fob them off with a game that has it content missing and the only way to access it is to pay up for it. They can then choose not to and if more people voted with their wallet then the publisher will get the message and will drop the practices.

And to be honest, I really don't think WHEN the DLC is released makes the slightest bit of difference. Whether it's released the day the game came out or 5 months later, it's just going to be exactly the same. Just look at Left 4 Dead 2 - it came out nearly 3 years ago and yet the DLC packs have been spaced out quite a lot, with one on the horizon even now.

Trust me it does.

That's another good thing about DLC - its for the publishers to ensure people still play their game after a while. Surely you can't fault them there.

I can't but there is a better way of doing that doesn't require ripping the customers off. After all why should I fork out more just to play a character even thought their code is already in the disk that I pay for.

I do agree some publishers take the p*ss with DLC, but I think we're all starting to realise this is the norm now. I've accepted that, and for everyone else's sake I suggest you do the same.

So you are ok with publisher blocking half the game off and the only way you can play it is too fork out more money. Because if you do then you are a moron, then again this is what I expect from a person who likes Sonic 06.

Chris

Old Coot
There's a difference between not finishing a game and ending it on a cliffhanger. It's called leaving the audience hanging, it makes them want more. It makes people wanna know what happens next, so people will expect and look forward to a sequel or DLC that explains what happens.
That IS not finishing the game. That's called "charging you for the real ending."