• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Will Downloadable Content Change Gaming Forever?

Night Shadow

BRRAAP BRRAAP
That IS not finishing the game. That's called "charging you for the real ending."

Aka, FFXII-2. However leaving on a cliffhanger is fine if it was maybe a TV series or comic books/manga since it's free in a sense. But when people have to shell out $60 1-3 years later, it's not okay.

Chris

Old Coot
Aka, FFXII-2. However leaving on a cliffhanger is fine if it was maybe a TV series or comic books/manga since it's free in a sense. But when people have to shell out $60 1-3 years later, it's not okay.
Was referring more to the fact that FFXII-2 itself doesn't give you the actual conclusion to the story and that there'll be DLC for the true ending.

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior

You don't buy cable or satellite or home video releases of shows or comic books or manga do you? Shit's expensive.

I will never buy a game that makes me pay after buying it; that makes me mad. I'm just glad the Pokemon games don't force us to pay.

Crimsonlink

Crimson Champion
Was referring more to the fact that FFXII-2 itself doesn't give you the actual conclusion to the story and that there'll be DLC for the true ending.

Hope the DLC will be free, considering the backlash Square will get if the true ending is given in DLC form and they charge you for it. Thats if they don't announce and release FXIII-3.

Zero Nexus

Stand up, go for it
That's because we all know that you like buying crappy games.

I say i like ONE game that you don't like, and suddenly every game i buy is crap? Nice logic, genius.

Just because you like wasting your money doesn't mean other people does. There is the right way to do DLC and there is the wrong way, guess which one the publisher chooses.

It's not "wasting" money, it depends on what DLC you're buying and how much it costs.

I could turn that around and call you a cheapskate for wanting everything spoonfed to you for free. As i stated before, i don't have a problem with DLC because it's no inconvenience for me. If i can afford it and its something i want, i get it. If not, i don't, or i at least wait until i have the MSP.

If you're happy buying half a game, i'm happy for you. Just don't expect to get your money's worth.

I knew you were stupid but I didn't release just how stupid you actually are. People don't have to do to what the publisher says, if they feel that the publisher is trying to fob them off with a game that has it content missing and the only way to access it is to pay up for it. They can then choose not to and if more people voted with their wallet then the publisher will get the message and will drop the practices.

I doubt the publishers would care if a few whiny kids get their pants wet because they're too poor to buy DLC.

You can protest all you like, but you and me both know it's gonna sell like hotcakes either way. So they're NOT gonna get the message because people who actually have the money for DLC (like me) will just get it anyway, cause we have no problem shelling out a teensy bit more if it means enhancing the experience.

Don't get me wrong, i agree, some publishers DO take the piss - Capcom for example, but petty little protests expecting a company to change their ways to cater for a minority is a futile effort.

I can't but there is a better way of doing that doesn't require ripping the customers off. After all why should I fork out more just to play a character even thought their code is already in the disk that I pay for.

Because you want to USE the character? You've got a choice, either pay more or don't play the game at all - take your pick son.

So you are ok with publisher blocking half the game off and the only way you can play it is too fork out more money.

I never said i was okay with it, i did say it does my head in as well - but can you honestly say this HASN'T become the norm now? Because most, if not all companies are doing it - this ain't 2003 anymore.

Night Shadow

BRRAAP BRRAAP

I'm pretty sure it gives you a "To Be Continued."

You don't buy cable or satellite or home video releases of shows or comic books or manga do you? Shit's expensive.

Nope, I'm proudly living with my parents, so it's free. But then again, I download some tv shows for free or watch it on hulu anyways.

I will never buy a game that makes me pay after buying it; that makes me mad. I'm just glad the Pokemon games don't force us to pay.

No game actually makes you pay at all. However, if Pokemon had some DLC for like $5 and you got a new region or something (which would be completely optional), would you still buy it?

^ You better watch out Nexus, he's going to start attacking you for liking bleach next.

Bleach is awesome, case closed.

arceus7

Arcane Of The Wild
.... No its not. Kubo sucks at story pacing. He starts out slow then he ends up wrapping things up way too quickly to the point it affects the story( damn publishers, its there fault for the whole Hueco Mundo fiasco) and he doesnt work on character development way to many characters anyway. Its rather sub-par only thing good about bleach is the drawing. Whenever someone tellls me bleach is awesome I laugh sarcastically and tell them Dragon Ball was good too( seriously he monopolized the same general plot line 20 times over.

Rezzo

Occasionally
.... No its not. Kubo sucks at story pacing. He starts out slow then he ends up wrapping things up way too quickly to the point it affects the story( damn publishers, its there fault for the whole Hueco Mundo fiasco) and he doesnt work on character development way to many characters anyway. Its rather sub-par only thing good about bleach is the drawing. Whenever someone tellls me bleach is awesome I laugh sarcastically and tell them Dragon Ball was good too( seriously he monopolized the same general plot line 20 times over.

What the **** does that have to do with my OP. Contribute or something for God's sake

Night_Walker

DLC (excluding patches - which I think are invaluable since game studios are under pressure to release and very rarely can afford the time to comb their game for months for every bug that will ever pop up), like so much in life, is something of a twin edged sword for gamers.

Some of it, maps and skins and such, affords players a little more freedom in terms of customising looks and places to fight - I see no issue with that. Although I do have one caveat - that being that it does not become a case where people who don't buy the DLC in question can't play matches against people who do (although clearly that's usually a map thing).

After release gameplay add ins, like additional chapters or something, I also don't really have a problem with, since to otherwise get them you'd have to buy a special edition of the game... Unless what's being made is more clearly an ending than the end of the game you buy - a case in point seems to be Final Fantasy - where the company's plan was always to make you pay more for the game even after you bought it; to experience the whole story that's just unethical and treating fans like cash machines.

Hasn't it already?

Clear proof that SE has got FF fanbase wrap around their thumbs. After all, they keep buying the ****.

Some people will buy anything with a name. I'm waiting for Chrono 3 to become Final Fantasy XVI so Square can make more money off it. Or supposedly make more money off it.

Night Shadow

BRRAAP BRRAAP

So not only you dislike Bleach, you hate Dragon Ball? What's wrong with you?

Far from it.

To be honest, this is not worth arguing about. I can't force anyone to like it anyways.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to see how Nintendo handles DLC.

Probably with just another category in the eShop.

Chris

Old Coot
You killed your own argument, considering Pokemon is a series of re-releases within each generation.