• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Will Downloadable Content Change Gaming Forever?

Rezzo

Occasionally
This has been on my mind was a while now, and it's starting to look more like fact than fiction. As we all know, more and more games are being released incomplete... Missing stuff... not up to scratch. Games like Gran Turismo 5 and Modern Warfare 2 are being released with tonnes of problems, with game devs responding with an "I'll do it later" attitude.

There's also games being released that are literally incomplete, ie. missing parts of the story that could have easily been implemented into the full game. Normally this wouldn't be a problem for the average gamer with an Internet connection, but companies and publishers are now reaching into our pockets for us to play the last chapter of your newest game. All four DLC map packs for Call of Duty: Black Ops costs the same amount as the game did on its release date. Technically speaking it's now actually worth more money than in most places you could pick up a new version of the game.

Online passes are also becoming a new trend. Game companies like EA are having you pay them for something that has already been bought and used. It's like seeing a car manufacturer asking for a share of the profit from a used car being sold. I've noticed that EA Games loathe split-screening and want everybody to get into buying their own seperate copy of the game just to play with friends (Skate 3 and Mass Effect 3 are brilliant examples of this).

Recently I discovered that Nintendo are even jumping on the bandwagon, with the new Fire Emblem being the first Nintendo game to feature paid DLC. It truly does seem like everybody in the gaming industry is trying to rob us of every last schilling just for a few minutes of gameplay.

What's happening is becoming a revolution in how people will buy, play, and use video games. Having a low income myself means that I will have to seek entertainment elsewhere if it becomes too popular, as there's no way I'm going to have the money to continue gaming. I'm pretty sure even those who can afford it aren't exactly in support of it either. Anyway, let me know your thoughts and opinions of what you think the game industry looks to become.

SugarFreeJazz

not present
It was bound to happen. After all, it's cheaper this way and they have more opportunities to milk money out of the customers. It's how life works.

I can't say I'm in favor of it, though it does make it easier for me to be a lazy sack of shit.

DLC, in general, allows the company to slack off on the game and put in the things they really wanted to later on, and then make you pay for it. Honestly, it's just lazy.

And don't even get me STARTED on Day 1 DLC, or DLC that's included WITH the game, but you have to pay to unlock it. That's just disgusting. Including patches that you'll never get to use unless you buy something else for the game, it's just stupid.

I do, however, like additional campaigns that are added in later, like Broken Steel for FO3, and the Shivering Isles for Oblivion. Those are fun, there's no doubt about it, and Shivering Isles was almost another game in itself. But paying $10+ for additional content is pretty ridiculous.

Rezzo

Occasionally
Bethesda do us all a favour by releasing a complete edition of their games too, with all the DLC and a discount in price too. EA are absolute thieves though and people just go along with it too.

ForeverFlame

Games with Day 1 DLC make me furious, but incomplete games are the worst. Final Fantasy XIII-2 doesn't even have an ending. It ends with "To Be Continued," and SE already made it clear that we're going to get the ending in DLC. What the hell? That's like having Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows end after the forest scene, and you have to buy the last three chapters afterwards.

Some companies do a really good job of their DLC (mainly fanservice outfits and stuff that you wouldn't really miss in the actual game), but I swear other companies like Square Enix and Crapcom are just trying to see how far they can go before people start to complain.

Night Shadow

BRRAAP BRRAAP
So you're completely defending the idea of purchasing a game, and not being allowed all of the content you purchased until you purchase it...again.
Along with over $800 of DLC and not having the correct ending to a game unless you buy said ending.

If you're referring about ME3, From Ashes wasn't on disc except for the character. You still can't play the mission. Also, those $800 includes toys and figurines and gaming hardware. And for the record, none of which is necessary to enjoy ME3, it only adds to the enjoyment.

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
If you're referring about ME3, From Ashes wasn't on disc except for the character. You still can't play the mission. Also, those $800 includes toys and figurines and gaming hardware. And for the record, none of which is necessary to enjoy ME3, it only adds to the enjoyment.

I thought she was referring to Street Fighter X Tekken in regards to locked content, where it has characters already on the disc. In the case of Mass Effect 3 isn't an entire character a pretty big deal? I don't play but doesn't the Mass Effect series have extensive dialogue trees with character interactions?

Night Shadow

BRRAAP BRRAAP
I thought she was referring to Street Fighter X Tekken in regards to locked content, where it has characters already on the disc. In the case of Mass Effect 3 isn't an entire character a pretty big deal? I don't play but doesn't the Mass Effect series have extensive dialogue trees with character interactions?

For ME3, the only thing on the disc was the character itself. However, http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1220541p1.html So basically, with a line of code you can unlock a character but not get even close to all of the content on the DLC itself.

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
This should sum things up:

http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/

Personally, even though I don't pay for DLC, I still think this whole thing is ridiculous. We already bought your game, what more do you want from us gaming companies?

I laugh more at CAD than with it. And what is the point of making an analogy if you're just going to **** all over it in the last panel?

*IZ*

I 100% dislike having to pay for DLCs. I have every single DLC for Black Ops, but I didn't even pay a cent. I don't think I'll ever buy DLCs.