• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Will Gou stick around?

Leonhart

Imagineer
PAndrews said:
That said, Brock served no real purpose and he managed to hang around for 4 gens before the writers swtiched to the "new companions for Ash every region" formula, so who knows.

Takeshi did serve a purpose, though: he was basically Satoshi's butler and chef. Gou doesn't fulfill a similar role to that other than being slightly more mature than Satoshi on occasion, but his goal of capturing every Pokemon will still take a long time to achieve if he ever actually accomplishes it.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
God I hope not. Send him the hell away. Koharu can stay though :).

STICKTOPIA

I doubt it. That trend hasn’t happened since diamond and pearl and I doubt it would happen again. I expect we would see him again at some point but not as a regular character. Plus this saga is enough of him already. We don’t need another saga with him.

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
Goh has the exclusive honor of appearing in a Pokémon episode without Ash or Pikachu. That's an achievement by itself.

In terms of sticking around, it depends if Pokémon Journeys will be the permanent format for all future anime (since a world hopping gimmick means that the anime team doesn't have to worry about wrapping up in a specific region and resetting Ash over and over again).

What I will say is that in terms of Goh leaving or staying is that Pokémon has been experimenting with protagonists that can stand on their own without Ash. Whether it be Twilight Wings or Goh getting his own episode, it is quite a good development even if Goh leaves. Pokémon has become more than just the adventures of Ash Ketchum or the game protagonist. Anyone can be a protagonist for the Pokémon series, whether it be a kid trying to catch em all, or an adult finding themselves dealing with real life and the world of Pokémon.

ImBeVillain

No more six members
Goh will still stay at the Institute to study under the mentor and Ash, if he wins the Pokemon World Championship, will rather have to fight the toughest opponents all the time, there is no point in going to the generation 9 region, because it would look like anew must have a goal - to become a Pokemon master, especially that would be an idiotic idea. He and his Pikachu will probably leave as well, but as the main characters. We'll probably get a new main character in gen. 9, who will also catch Pikachu in the first episode - I hope it's a female character and will finally fight for badges, walking from the gym to the gym.

Ultra Beast Lover

Goh will still stay at the Institute to study under the mentor and Ash, if he wins the Pokemon World Championship, will rather have to fight the toughest opponents all the time, there is no point in going to the generation 9 region, because it would look like anew must have a goal - to become a Pokemon master, especially that would be an idiotic idea. He and his Pikachu will probably leave as well, but as the main characters. We'll probably get a new main character in gen. 9, who will also catch Pikachu in the first episode - I hope it's a female character and will finally fight for badges, walking from the gym to the gym.
We're not losing Ash, he's too ingrained in the marketing for Pokemon

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
Ash isn’t going to leave anytime soon. He’s the face of marketing in the anime, they’re not just gonna dump one of their biggest marketing ploys over a new character. All they’ll do is continue to come up with more ideas on what to do with him.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
As I always say: we are too far gone to NOT have Ash as the main character. I doubt OLM wants to get rid of him.

If anything he being the only familiar faces in the current AU movies* is proof of his staying power.

*there's TR too but point stands

Applecorp

Well whether Goh stays or not I don't get why people think it would affect Ash's odds of staying? He's going to be the main character no matter what and nothing that Goh's done so far or how he's been shown makes me think that they plan on replacing Ash with him.

Either Goh stays or he leaves but Ash's position won't change no matter how great the idea sounds on paper.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I think it could go either way. His goal is very open ended much like Ash’s and Go will never catch one of every single Pokémon in existence for several reasons with the biggest being there will always be new Pokémon discovered and added into the series with each new region and the second biggest being some Pokémon are extremely rare and Goh isn’t necessarily guaranteed to meet them. Examples are Arceus, Dialga, Palkia, And Giratina, and to a lesser extent, the Unown as they mostly reside in separate dimensions and don’t exit them unless there is a major threat.

Ultra Beast Lover

I think it could go either way. His goal is very open ended much like Ash’s and Go will never catch one of every single Pokémon in existence for several reasons with the biggest being there will always be new Pokémon discovered and added into the series with each new region and the second biggest being some Pokémon are extremely rare and Goh isn’t necessarily guaranteed to meet them. Examples are Arceus, Dialga, Palkia, And Giratina, and to a lesser extent, the Unown as they mostly reside in separate dimensions and don’t exit them unless there is a major threat.
Can you imagine what would happen if he caught a bunch of Unknown? We'd have the Entei movie on our hands

Leonhart

Imagineer
Captain Jigglypuff said:

Not that I think he'll actually capture every Pokemon either, but considering that we did see Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina leave their dimensions and appear in the Pokemon world, I don't think it would be out of the realm of possibility for them to appear again in this series, thereby at least giving Gou a chance to meet them even if he doesn't get them.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
He's going to become a Professor assistant like Hopp, he's just a Hopp clone and Darkest Day all but confirmed it with Sonia's discussion with him and him being the second hero.
You really expect Cinderace to just get dumped or Sobble? Their roles have been slightly nerfed since Darkest Day but they're not going to outright just disappear, not to mention his most likely chance of getting Grookey too(Thank god)
So basically if he stayed, Ash is likely going to get all three of the next gen starters. Not to mention how boring it'd be, the PWC is obviously not going to last into gen 9 either(Bea, Raihan, Leon.... quite obvious lmao) so Ash would have a new goal to deal with. And you can't just 'reset' Goh's goal like you could do with Ash, May, and Dawn. He'd just be doing the exact same thing with no changes, no new rivals to spice things up.... just the same thing! It's like Misty lasting into Johto, she should have left earlier as the Whirl Cup was the only interesting thing they did with her

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
He's going to become a Professor assistant like Hopp, he's just a Hopp clone and Darkest Day all but confirmed it with Sonia's discussion with him and him being the second hero.
You really expect Cinderace to just get dumped or Sobble? Their roles have been slightly nerfed since Darkest Day but they're not going to outright just disappear, not to mention his most likely chance of getting Grookey too(Thank god)
So basically if he stayed, Ash is likely going to get all three of the next gen starters. Not to mention how boring it'd be, the PWC is obviously not going to last into gen 9 either(Bea, Raihan, Leon.... quite obvious lmao) so Ash would have a new goal to deal with. And you can't just 'reset' Goh's goal like you could do with Ash, May, and Dawn. He'd just be doing the exact same thing with no changes, no new rivals to spice things up.... just the same thing! It's like Misty lasting into Johto, she should have left earlier as the Whirl Cup was the only interesting thing they did with her
Its the same with Team Rocket after Johto AND Ash after DP as well but they're still here :mad:

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Chloe on the other hand could stick around though, if they have her decide what she wants to do near the end then perhaps she'll choose to join Ash on whatever his gen 9 goal is.
Getting to get further fleshed out rather than "I've decided what I want to do, bye Ash!"

I'd kinda like this, Chloe's a good character and her main is Eevee, a Pokemon that unfortunately much like Charizard will never not be irrelevant so we'd likely see somebody get one anyways. And there's nothing that would prevent her from getting a starter, similar to AG Brock and Clemont only possibly actually utilizing it(Grass starter please)

If she comes out of this with just Eevee and Yamper, that leaves a lot of room for gen 9 to explore with whatever she does. And perhaps maybe even being the first female in a literal decade to own more than six Pokemon if they keep the 2 protags thing and don't add another character

Cause it's pretty clear that she won't idolize Sonia and want to end up like her... like people oddly wanted despite it being against her character. Goh's clearly the one going to be an assistant, Chloe will probably wind up a trainer like Ash, a coordinator like May/Dawn, or perhaps something new like Cilan's and Serena's but properly fleshed out

It isnt the same though? Both of them have changed drastically and also have had new stuff and roles to do....

Exactly!

What would they do with Goh? Copy/paste another Pokemon into his dream?
He'd be doing the exact same thing, filling out the dex and not going through any changes while Ash has challenged the Battle Frontier and won, won the Orange and Alola Leagues, has well developed relationships with most of his Pokemon every region(Something you won't see with Goh if half his team is dedicated to starters old and new, it's just the BW situation with Ash again but people give Goh a pass cause he's not Ash? :rolleyes: ), has grown in every region except BW where he regressed.... and Ash could potentially be the PWC winner

And Team Rocket changed too, they're more trusted by Giovanni now. And they were proper villains for a brief time, they had a home with Bewear and were properly humanized again like the old days, and they actually gave Giovanni something that he didn't flat out reject like Togepi in the OS and Yanma in DP.

The homebase is likely going to change too mind you, so you'll see Goh's captures less if he stuck around. It'd be cool if it's still a world tour, they just make the base Pallet Town and let that place get more established rather than just Delia and Oak's. It should have been Pallet Town all along, Vermillion is practically deserted most the time anyways lol

Last edited:

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
It isnt the same though? Both of them have changed drastically and also have had new stuff and roles to do....
*sees Team Rocket's involvement in today's episode* no they haven't changed at all let alone any drastic changes. The only time they "changed" was in BW, which the writers and executives apparently thought was a mistake as they reverted them back to being unfunny, annoying idiots that unnecessarily take up screentime for the heck of it.
I don't see much of a difference in Ash either.