• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Will Gou stick around?

desdar300

So the new gimmick that OLM ran with in this new series is that a secondary lead will be introduced with set character being called "Gou"
He's been quite a contested character with people really liking the guy or others hating him because of what he represents.
My question to you'll is do you think that Gou will survived past Pokemon Journeys and enter the generation 9 anime or do you feel that he's just a one-off experiment?

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
Despite his goal being very draggable and how Pokemon GO and Let’s GO is what his character is, I really doubt he’ll stay around and is likely just another regular companion where his time will eventually be up and Ash goes on cause of him being the anime’s marketing ploy. One indication of that seems to be how Go’s first mon is a Galar mon. Not really something you can market beyond the current series and gen since most new mons usually hit their marketing peak at their Gen debut and the anime’s whole purpose is marketing merch. This really doesn’t seem to be any different.

ShadowForce720

So the new gimmick that OLM ran with in this new series is that a secondary lead will be introduced with set character being called "Gou"
He's been quite a contested character with people really liking the guy or others hating him because of what he represents.
My question to you'll is do you think that Gou will survived past Pokemon Journeys and enter the generation 9 anime or do you feel that he's just a one-off experiment?

I think it’s possible that he could stick around as he represents the other major aspect of Pokémon being catching. Plus Pokémon Go will still be around during gen 9 and is likely not disappearing anytime soon.

Honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if the only thing that really changes when gen 9 comes out is the gen 9 Pokémon, region and characters being added to the rotation and Ash gets something else to do that takes the place of the PWC, while he winds up still being a research fellow.

Heck they could still have the PWC around but not just have it be the main or a major focus for instance like we only see Ash in it when he does an exhibition match or the Master 8 tournament starts again.

desdar300

I think it’s possible that he could stick around as he represents the other major aspect of Pokémon being catching. Plus Pokémon Go will still be around during gen 9 and is likely not disappearing anytime soon.

Honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if the only thing that really changes when gen 9 comes out is the gen 9 Pokémon, region and characters being added to the rotation and Ash gets something else to do that takes the place of the PWC, while he winds up still being a research fellow.

Heck they could still have the PWC around but not just have it be the main or a major focus for instance like we only see Ash in it when he does an exhibition match or the Master 8 tournament starts again.
Well this was interesting I don't know if the journeys format is really work so well IMO.
It feels like globetrotting aspect is always clashing with the Galar stuff for attention leading to a really uneven experience.
Keeping the same formula but throwing a ninth region into all of this sounds like a recipe for potential disaster

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
Well this was interesting I don't know if the journeys format is really work so well IMO.
It feels like globetrotting aspect is always clashing with the Galar stuff for attention leading to a really uneven experience.
Keeping the same formula but throwing a ninth region into all of this sounds like a recipe for potential disaster
Tbh I feel like the region hopping theme of this series was due to the upcoming 25th anniversary and thus wanted the anime to not be a one region exclusive while the plot is related to the new region but also the other regions. I wouldn’t really see much use of this formula post JN, everything relating to JN from Goh to the PWC will likely end when time’s up (whenever that is) since you can’t really do much more with the PWC if you have Ash beating the whole thing unless they want to drag it to the Gen 9 region which tbh I’d rather not see that and is kinda of a bad idea and despite the goal, Go isn’t really suited to continue on and looks meant to only last for this series and thus will likely leave the main cast like every companion has.

Last edited:

ShadowForce720

Tbh I feel like the region hopping theme of this series was due to the upcoming 25th anniversary and thus wanted the anime to not be a one region exclusive while the plot is related to the new region but also the other regions. I wouldn’t really see much use of this formula post JN, everything relating to JN from Goh to the PWC will likely end when time’s up (whenever that is) since you can’t really do much more with the PWC if you have Ash beating the whole thing unless they want to drag it to the Gen 9 region which tbh I’d rather not see that and is kinda of a bad idea and despite the goal, Go isn’t really suited to continue on and will likely leave the main cast like every companion has.

That isn’t really true as if you look at how Goh is built his character is more built in a long term sense. Also Goh isn’t a companion, he is a protagonist along with Ash, so you can’t really use how past companions work as a example of how Goh will work.

Also they could have just used the Galar region as a hub if they just wanted the globetrotting to last only one generation. The fact that the hub is Kanto makes it more plausible that the Globetrotting is could last more then one generation. They don’t necessarily have to have the PWC be what Ash’s is focus on doing in future generations as they can just make something up.

Plus considering that there is anniversary for the entire franchise every 5 years and between them there is even anniversary for other generations of Pokémon games they would have an incentive to keep the globetrotting going.

One thing is for sure nothing is certain right now when it comes to what they will do for gen 9. At this point Goh is just as likely to stay as he is to leave, point being is that the globetrotting ending and Goh leaving isn’t as likely as your trying to make it sound.

Nor is the opposite anymore likely. The reality is it could go either way, we just don’t know.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Yeah. It would also make the series even more formulaic than it was previously, with the only things differentiating the sagas now being the addition of a new region and Pokemon. The PWC is a hard goal to keep around for another saga, unless they have Ash lose to the Gen 9 champion and him being thrown back to the bottom, which would just be bad writing.

Decidueye23

Yeah. It would also make the series even more formulaic than it was previously, with the only things differentiating the sagas now being the addition of a new region and Pokemon. The PWC is a hard goal to keep around for another saga, unless they have Ash lose to the Gen 9 champion and him being thrown back to the bottom, which would just be bad writing.
I dont think losing to the number one would throw you back to the bottom. Atleast rankings shouldnt work that way. If he is no.2 and loses to no.1 does that meqn he has to start over again. That will be really bad.

Which is why reqlistically this should be ashs last saga but they might get him ti gen 9

ShadowForce720

The darkest day literally set up his endgame in the series and how he'll leave

Actually those offers that are established early in the series for a main character to leave don’t tend to actually amount to much or being the reason for the main character leaving.

I mean heck by during X&Y when Palmero offered to train Serena, quite a few people thought that Serena was going to definitely accept the offer and that would be why she leaves.

However when XY&Z ended it turned out that Serena turned down Palmero’s offer, and then went to try contest when Palmero suggested them.

Heck in Sun and Moon RotomDex had a chance to work with his idol long term but turned it down and when it did separate from Ash it had nothing to do with what it’s idol was doing.

Plus what your pointing to is literally what Ash and Goh are already doing as they are essentially already assistants to a professor.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Actually those offers that are established early in the series for a main character to leave don’t tend to actually amount to much or being the reason for the main character leaving.

I mean heck by during X&Y when Palmero offered to train Serena, quite a few people thought that Serena was going to definitely accept the offer and that would be why she leaves.

However when XY&Z ended it turned out that Serena turned down Palmero’s offer, and then went to try contest when Palmero suggested them.

Heck in Sun and Moon RotomDex had a chance to work with his idol long term but turned it down and when it did separate from Ash it had nothing to do with what it’s idol was doing.

Plus what your pointing to is literally what Ash and Goh are already doing as they are essentially already assistants to a professor.
Here's the MAJOR difference tho
These offers were turned down by the respective characters at that time
Here it isn't the case
Sonia merely mentioned how Goh had the inklings to become a good Pokémon professor himself and Goh admitted it was a good idea but he's rn focused on catching mons to work his way upto mew
Also what they are doing isn't the same, being an assistant isn't equal to being a professor. They are doing most of the field work, being a professor would entail more analysing and researching

SerenaRulez

I'm sure the writing team have a few ideas of how to give Goh his farewell a few years from now but I think he's got at most 2 or 3 years left before he gets sent away.

Once he gets as many Pokemon as he can and meets Mew I think the writing staff will be finished with him.

Decidueye23

Yeah the thing is with the pace Go is at he could end up catching a good amount of pokemon in the next 2 or 3 years. So him staying long term makes little sense as even when the new generation comes looking at the past 3 gens the numbee of new pokemon wont be enough to make him last the entire generation. So i think either his goal will be modified or he will have to leave

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
As I've said on another thread:

I'd say that one is quite tricky... The current setting of the series, including the lack of specific, generation suffix in the name makes it completly possible Goh is meant to stay with us for a while. At the same time, his starter being a Gen 8 pokémon might complicate things a bit. I personally hope he stays with us for a long while, but I'm at peace with the idea he might not.

Also, as people said the Darkest Day arc kind of set up a possible way to have him take separate ways from Ash. I think it just depends on what the heads of the show decide by the time we are switching to Gen 9.

Ibrahim Saidu

Never in a billion years