• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Will Gou stick around?

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
Go having a Cinderace isn’t as problematic as your trying to imply. For the most part they can easily have Go and the other stuff from Journeys stick around and just add the gen 9 region into the rotation.

As for the argument that Cinderace would overshadow the gen 9 starter, if you look at what’s being currently done with the gen 8 starters is their rotating the focus on the starters.

So it would be easy for them to have Goh catch a gen 9 starter and focus on it while Goh still has his Cinderace.

I mean heck if they keep with the world traveling format then Goh having a Cinderace isn’t really a problem.

Plus looking at his goal it’s really easy for that to be carried across more then one generation as there will always be new Pokémon.
I want for you to name one main character whose partner was a starter Pokémon for a specific generation who stuck around beyond that generation. The entire purpose of the starters existing in the cast is to act as an advertisement for that current generation and once that generation is over, they get shipped out of the team. Beyond that, they’re lucky if they ever get to do anything again.

When it comes to a Pokémon that is the character’s partner, they are integrally tied to that character and as such, once that advertisement period is over, the character goes with them. It happened with May, Dawn, Serena and Lana.

Now had they done Go like Brock where he caught Scorbunny but had already had a non-starter partner prior to that or even not tied him to having a partner then it would be more likely that he’d stay but dumped the starters like what happened with Marshtop. But from day one, they tied him to gen 8 by revealing his partner is a gen 8 starter. So come gen 9, he’ll move on from the cast since the gen 8 starters will be obsolete.

ShadowForce720

I want for you to name one main character whose partner was a starter Pokémon for a specific generation who stuck around beyond that generation. The entire purpose of the starters existing in the cast is to act as an advertisement for that current generation and once that generation is over, they get shipped out of the team. Beyond that, they’re lucky if they ever get to do anything again.

When it comes to a Pokémon that is the character’s partner, they are integrally tied to that character and as such, once that advertisement period is over, the character goes with them. It happened with May, Dawn, Serena and Lana.

Now had they done Go like Brock where he caught Scorbunny but had already had a non-starter partner prior to that or even not tied him to having a partner then it would be more likely that he’d stay but dumped the starters like what happened with Marshtop. But from day one, they tied him to gen 8 by revealing his partner is a gen 8 starter. So come gen 9, he’ll move on from the cast since the gen 8 starters will be obsolete.
Difference is that unlike most of those past characters Goh isn’t based on a character from the games in the respective generation. Not to mention the fact that the series he was introduced basically features all the regions.

Also if the world travel theme continues to gen 9 then no the gen 8 starters aren’t going to be obsolete as the anime will still be promoting all the gens. So, no it would not be a problem for Goh and his Cinderace to stick around.

Heck if you look at Goh his starter being Cinderace is the only gen 8 thing about him other then that it would be easy for them to have him go to the next generation.

Let’s face facts it’s been pretty clear that this series has been different from the past series in that there have been quite a few things that some people thought they new how they would play out in the series only for the series to go a different route.

Is it guaranteed that Goh will stay beyond gen 8? No, of course not, however that being said no matter how you try to argue it or deny it the fact of the matter is it is not guaranteed that Goh will leave at the end of gen 8.

The fact of the matter is no one knows what’s going to really happen at the end of gen 8 other then Ash battling Leon.

As for the argument that it is somehow unlikely for Goh to stick around doesn’t some people said the same thing about the idea of Ash getting past gen Pokémon that weren’t connected to the current/upcoming generation, or going a generation without getting the current gen starters and yet here we are.

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
Difference is that unlike most of those past characters Goh isn’t based on a character from the games in the respective generation. Not to mention the fact that the series he was introduced basically features all the regions.

Also if the world travel theme continues to gen 9 then no the gen 8 starters aren’t going to be obsolete as the anime will still be promoting all the gens. So, no it would not be a problem for Goh and his Cinderace to stick around.

Heck if you look at Goh his starter being Cinderace is the only gen 8 thing about him other then that it would be easy for them to have him go to the next generation.

Let’s face facts it’s been pretty clear that this series has been different from the past series in that there have been quite a few things that some people thought they new how they would play out in the series only for the series to go a different route.

Is it guaranteed that Goh will stay beyond gen 8? No, of course not, however that being said no matter how you try to argue it or deny it the fact of the matter is it is not guaranteed that Goh will leave at the end of gen 8.

The fact of the matter is no one knows what’s going to really happen at the end of gen 8 other then Ash battling Leon.

As for the argument that it is somehow unlikely for Goh to stick around doesn’t some people said the same thing about the idea of Ash getting past gen Pokémon that weren’t connected to the current/upcoming generation, or going a generation without getting the current gen starters and yet here we are.
And in spite of him being an original character, they still paired him up with not just any gen 8 Pokémon but a gen 8 starter Pokémon.

And while you try to say that a world travel aspect somehow negates a Pokémon existing to be an advertisement for the current gen, notice how none of the starters of previous gens are relevant within the series despite 6 sets being owned by Ash. Hell, sans Piplup, Marshtop and Turtwig showing up in literal filler episodes, they have not been relevant to anything. Only reason Charizard even gets any relevance is because it’s Leon’s partner Pokémon in the games.

And while people might try to say that the anime is doing different things, it’s not so different as to have strayed away from being an advertisement first and foremost and it’s not about advertising what isn’t currently relevant.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
And in spite of him being an original character, they still paired him up with not just any gen 8 Pokémon but a gen 8 starter Pokémon.

And while you try to say that a world travel aspect somehow negates a Pokémon existing to be an advertisement for the current gen, notice how none of the starters of previous gens are relevant within the series despite 6 sets being owned by Ash. Hell, sans Piplup, Marshtop and Turtwig showing up in literal filler episodes, they have not been relevant to anything. Only reason Charizard even gets any relevance is because it’s Leon’s partner Pokémon in the games.

And while people might try to say that the anime is doing different things, it’s not so different as to have strayed away from being an advertisement first and foremost and it’s not about advertising what isn’t currently relevant.
As well as the fact that Gou does not currently own a single starter Pokemon other than the Galar starters.

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master

Have you not notice that Goh has been rotating his Galar starters from his shoulder to the ground? First it was Scorbunny, then it was Sobble, and now it's Grooky? Usually, you would expect Goh's starter, especially one that is doing the Pikachu mascot position, to not evolve at all. After all, Piplup didn't evolve and neither did Axew. Yet Goh's Scorbunny evolves but then Sobble joins the team and becomes the new cute mascot. And now it's Grooky.

Also note that Brock left behind his starter and most iconic Pokémon, Onix, back at the Gym and has completely brand new Pokémon to fill the void. By all accounts, Brock should have retired along with Misty after the OS ended. They are Gen 1 characters with their most iconic Pokémon being in Kanto. Yet Brock did not.

Not to mention that Ash is the anime incarnation of Red and during the heyday of the anime back in the 90s, he was greatly associated with the Kanto starters. Who doesn't remember Ash and his Charizard? Or his Bulbasaur and Squirtle? Ash grew beyond just being an incarnation of Red, becoming a distinct character by his own right.

Goh is particularly tailored-made for one thing: A timeless character that is applicable for any generation. His goal, after all, is "Gotta Catch 'Em All!" which is a universal goal rather than something specific like Contest Champion or Dragon Master. He could appear in Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, Kalos, Alola, Galar and many more locations and not feel out of place. Even better than Ash who has to change his clothes to better match the style of each generation he visited, often on the male protagonist's clothes.

Shadao

I kind of have a hard time believing that they're going to keep the world tour thing for Generation 9 especially when odd number gens tend to be more isolated then the even-numbered ones.
I personally feel the goal is going to go the way of Hop and become a researcher himself rather than go with Ash to whatever region is next.
That's just me though

I thought Galar was more isolated than the even-numbered ones.

Especially with "Dexit".

desdar300

I thought Galar was more isolated than the even-numbered ones.

Especially with "Dexit".
Like a lot of even number Generations it focus on a lot of older Pokemon.
Even our beloved Champion has a Charizard as ace but typically the odd number Generations like SM or BW are more or less soft reboots that Breakaway for the norm some way or another.

desdar300

That feels like a reach honestly
That's how I've always felt when playing them so it's more of my honest opinion on it.
G3 edits time was a generation that featured mostly new Pokemon and didn't really have a connection to the prior to Regions.
G5 was more or less the same but in a more extreme sence (Not even Pikachu was in the game).
G7 also gave me that feeling with how the trials and Island kings were conducted along with their not being a former Pokemon League until Kukui built it.

Shadao

That's how I've always felt when playing them so it's more of my honest opinion on it.
G3 edits time was a generation that featured mostly new Pokemon and didn't really have a connection to the prior to Regions.
G5 was more or less the same but in a more extreme sence (Not even Pikachu was in the game).
G7 also gave me that feeling with how the trials and Island kings were conducted along with their not being a former Pokemon League until Kukui built it.

Gen 7? That game placed huge emphasis on old Pokémon. Alola varients of Kanto Pokémon to be precise. And Z-Moves for your Kanto Pokémon. And let's be honest, the Pokémon League exactly how it did in the past. An Elite Four plus Champion.

In Galar, no such system exists. There's a Champion, yes. But there is no Elite Four. You literally battle your own rivals in a bracket match to get to Leon rather than face four Elite Trainers in a row. And your Pokémon are healed with every match. Plus, Galar is the only region where you have free-roaming online locations, is exclusively featured on the Switch, and aside from Let's Go PIkachu and Eevee, it's the only region where you can't bring all the Pokémon to the game.

And guess what, Journeys completely ignores that to the point that the social media had to apologize to the children that they featured a Pokémon that cannot be caught in Galar (Dewgong). Journeys is unlike any anime series and it is that uniqueness that people tend to forget. Ash resides in Kanto now, not Galar. And he has a team that follows no pattern from before. And thus, I don't see how Gen 9 would stop Goh from accompanying Ash since his goal is always catch new Pokémon.

desdar300

Gen 7? That game placed huge emphasis on old Pokémon. Alola varients of Kanto Pokémon to be precise. And Z-Moves for your Kanto Pokémon. And let's be honest, the Pokémon League exactly how it did in the past. An Elite Four plus Champion.

In Galar, no such system exists. There's a Champion, yes. But there is no Elite Four. You literally battle your own rivals in a bracket match to get to Leon rather than face four Elite Trainers in a row. And your Pokémon are healed with every match. Plus, Galar is the only region where you have free-roaming online locations, is exclusively featured on the Switch, and aside from Let's Go PIkachu and Eevee, it's the only region where you can't bring all the Pokémon to the game.

And guess what, Journeys completely ignores that to the point that the social media had to apologize to the children that they featured a Pokémon that cannot be caught in Galar (Dewgong). Journeys is unlike any anime series and it is that uniqueness that people tend to forget. Ash resides in Kanto now, not Galar. And he has a team that follows no pattern from before. And thus, I don't see how Gen 9 would stop Goh from accompanying Ash since his goal is always catch new Pokémon.
What I'm trying to say is that it really depends on what direction they take with go.
We don't know with this world tour idea is going to be continued and then next series or if they're just going to focus on whatever region generation 9 is based on.
We also don't know how they're going to handle the low number of Pokemon that usually get introduced which is around eighty now.
I feel like a lot of these what ifs really depends on what they do with Journeys.

Last edited:

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
And guess what, Journeys completely ignores that to the point that the social media had to apologize to the children that they featured a Pokémon that cannot be caught in Galar (Dewgong).
I don't remember that happening. Where did you see this?

I dunno, but I think you are mistaking with what happened on Twilight Wings where the Bea episode had a pokémon that wasn't avaliable on SwSh at time (not sure if the DLC end up adding it)

desdar300

I don't remember that happening. Where did you see this?

I dunno, but I think you are mistaking with what happened on Twilight Wings where the Bea episode had a pokémon that wasn't avaliable on SwSh at time (not sure if the DLC end up adding it)
Yep that was Twilight wings and Journeys itself has made it clear that with the world wide tour it makes sense that the boys are going to capture Pokemon that are not native to One exclusive place so there is no need to apologize