• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Will Iris be more popular than Dawn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeno48

Zaker!
What do you guys think in regard to this?

deathseer

Oh, u mad bro?
More than likely not. Dawn was promoted up the wazoo in Japan and she is still popular now. So it will take a lot for her to reach that level.

Although people here still can't seem to get over the fact that she is darker than the other girls.

Silver_Seoul

Iris is getting called the Jungle Queen already.

She'll be just as popular by the end of her run.

zeno48

Zaker!
Iris is getting called the Jungle Queen already.

She'll be just as popular by the end of her run.

But that's here and what about in Japan? I'm curious to find out what they think of her so far.

Silver_Seoul

But that's here and what about in Japan? I'm curious to find out what they think of her so far.

No, they were the ones that started calling her that. Some user was on a Japanese forum and translated it for us.

BlueDragonfangirl

All the female characters get really popular. May was before Dawn, it could be head to head.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
If she proves to be indeed diferent i think she can get even more loved then the others, i for a change liked the character the moment i saw it and the part with the vines made me like the girl more, so yeah lets see how the character progresses plus Kibago is awesome.

PePer

It depends on writers if Iris will get as popular as other girls, however I think this time someone else will get popularized, Dento, yes Dento, enough of girls.

Kitsunetsuki

Guardiana Cristálica
I think she'll be more popular than Hikari (Dawn's name in Japan version of the Anime), maybe because Iris is younger looking?, that could attract little girls to watch Pokémon, and I really enjoy the fact that her skin color is different than the other female protagonists, I don't know why people is making bad jokes about her, she seems to be a good trainer, and skin color doesn't matters, what matters is your heart.

So I'll be cheering for her.

zeno48

Zaker!
No, they were the ones that started calling her that. Some user was on a Japanese forum and translated it for us.

So she is already gaining popularity? well that's to be expected but is it much higher than Dawns?

deathseer

Oh, u mad bro?
Its more likely controversy than popularity. She is a dark-skinned girl, so people automatically assume that she is black. So in turn, we get a few racist remarks here and there.

She is only getting a lot of talk because she has a darker skin tone.

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
How in the world are we supposed to know right now?

Iris hasn't even debuted yet.

True but remeber this the Serebii Forums where we argue until both sides give up.

TrainerOfLegend

How in the world are we supposed to know right now?

Iris hasn't even debuted yet.

True. And as much as I like Iris's character(from the info we've seen), she doesn't have a quality that can provide for incognito fanservice, such as short shorts, breasts, or a short skirt. It may be stupid to think this, and younger fans are not likely to be affected by this, but fanservice stirs discussion, which increases popularity.

BirdStaraptor

Sinnoh Master
sure..

Dawn is awesome but sometimes I find her personality a mix between May and Ash!!

Iris looks different than Dawn and has a fresh personality.

Silver_Seoul

Yeah, deathseer, no one's pulled up the racist remarks in over a week. The preview made most people really like her.

masukippa

They already love her in Japan without her having even been in an episode yet. Considering it's the Japanese public that matter to the writers, I would go by their opinions. So she'll probably be more popular in Japan. Over here, I see her getting as popular as Dawn, developing her own over the top fanbase etc. etc. etc.

BlueMage

All of the new female companions tend to get a lukewarm reception at first but end up turning hugely popular through character development. Everyone hated May at first for replacing Misty, but the fact that she actually had her own goal to parallel Ash's made her into an interesting and endearing character, same for Dawn.

Iris will probably have something about her that will make her popular too. The main reason she's so controversial, aside from skin tone, is that she's just plain different from any of the other girls and people have no idea what to expect from her.

Status
Not open for further replies.