• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Will Iris be the first tag-along Gym leader done right?

Champion Jared 14

Well, by this time in the anime, it almost doesn't matter how much more screentime Dento and Iris will get compared to Misty and Brock because whatever they do will take a backseat to Ash's goals and storyline.

Even with May, her contests were after Ash's main battles, or before them depending on where they were. Same thing applied for Dawn and her contests. Essentially, the contests were only there to give them something to take screen time and spotlight from Ash. It did work to a certain extent, but Ash's league/frontier matches always came out on top in terms of the development. The Grand Festivals always came before the League tournaments. Hell, Dawn's Grand Festival came before Ash's last Sinnoh badge. That to me showed the dwindling importance of contests and secondary main character goals compared to Ash.

So really, it almost doesn't even matter what amount of more screentime they'll get, because in the end we know Ash and his pokemon are most likely going to get the best development out of the three.

I can't remember Misty even doing anything. A few random battles, just some random training, talking. That's all. May and Dawn, on the other hand, had Contests to enter. Brock was there for the laughs. Can't blame the writers. After all, Kanto and Johto were the first two generations of Pokémon. Of course they seem insignificant compared to Isshu.
Oh, so it would make more sense to blame the animated characters for them not doing anything, whent the writers had full control over whatever they did? And you're telling people that they shouldn't blame the writers for that? I suggest you check the show that you're watching again, because Pokemon has never been known for having good writing or a stimulating plot. Yes, the writers can and should be blamed for making Kanto and Johto so bland and boring. (Insert sarcasm here). After Kanto, that was supposed to be the end of pokemon but the popularity of the franchise allowed it to continue, so without Kanto saga, there would be no Isshu to speak of.

Last edited:

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
I still believe Iris, and even Dento, will get a bit more screentime than Misty/Brock did, even though it'll be less than May as well as Dawn.

I doubt we're getting two new characters just for them to stand in the background the entire arc. If that were the case they might as well have just kept Brock since we're used to him doing nothing.

If you think about it, Misty and Brock will probably be the only characters who's been on longer than anyone else.

Nightlingbolt

AKA Nightlingbolt
You know what I see when I read the first post of this thread? I see a small child throwing a temper tantrum just because something didn't go his way, in this case, Iris being a Gym Leader. And Serebii.Net Forums, this I promise you: the eight Isshu Badge will come and go, and CyberCubed will ***** and moan about Iris not getting enough buildup, just like he *****ed and moaned about the Hoenn team not getting any battles in the Sinnoh League. There's just no pleasing people like him, so I would think this thread is a pointless waste of space. But I guess I do owe it to myself to provide an answer as long as I'm posting.

I like to think that the writers learned from their mistakes with Misty and Brock. Basically, Misty was there because she wanted Ash to pay for a new Bike, which they easily could've resolved in Vermillion City if the games were to be followed, and I suppose once the writers realized just what being a Pokemon breeder entails (Pokemon reproducing), they got paranoid and just stopped focusing on that goal for a while until they abandoned it altogether. But for the most part, they became Ash's mentors, giving him advice and making sure he didn't do anything stupid. But now, Ash has several regions of experience to his name, and it would be kind of stupid to make Iris - or Dent, for that matter - any sort of mentor so far. I guess they could tell him about Triple and Rotation Battles, but that's about it. So I'd have to say it's up in the air at this point. But for the most part, Misty was handled really well, despite overstaying her welcome.

Brave Birdy

And by this I mean the first tag-along Gym leader that actually remains significant throughout her saga, and doesn't wind up getting sidelined or completely ignored as the arc progresses.

I don't really feel that Misty was ever ignored. I just think that because she had no goal which involved a series of events (ex: gym battles/contests), you're just assuming that she was ignored.

Torpoleon

Simple answer to that. Dento joins after Iris. Even if both are handled really well Iris would be considered the first since she would have been around for four episodes before him.
Also, Iris will probably have some involvement with Reshiram & Zekrom in the anime. In the games, isn't she seen talking about them?

Dento could also be handled pretty good by having some involvement with Pokémon Musicals. It could be like this:

Ash- Pokémon Gyms
Iris- Involvement with Reshiram & Zekrom
Dento- Pokémon Musicals

So, Iris & Dento could be handled better than their previous Gym Leader Traveling Companion Predecessors being Misty & Brock.

J-boogie200

Each main character brings something to the show, IMO, so this done right nonsense is really pointless, because each character is their own.

Cyber only focuses on the negative, and what he thinks is mandatory or feel he's entitled to. I think it's trolling undercover, but whatever. He's the miserable one.

Iris seems pretty cool, and I absolutely love Misty. What's sup guys, haven't been on here in a while, lol.

Can't wait for BW for a fresh start!

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
I wouldn't worry about Iris alone. The makers of the show always did the main girls right as far as giving them perks. So if Misty could do nothing, so can she. But since Brock just left, I would like to see another boy besides Ash not to be the invisible one.

Cazak

When Wings Fly High
I am beginning to think that Iris will be a combination of Misty and May. She could be Shaga's daughter. I mean she could be Shaga's daughter, and then later on take over the gym like Misty did.

playerking

Sick of dealing with idiots.
Shaga's daughter more like grandaughter i don't think iris is 30 or shaga is in his 30's. But yeah they might be related.

Cazak

When Wings Fly High
I stand corrected. Let Iris be the granddaughter then. The point is that Iris could be a combo both Misty and May in terms of character history. But we'll find out tomorrow(hopefully there are references about it till before the 8th gym).

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
I stand corrected. Let Iris be the granddaughter then. The point is that Iris could be a combo both Misty and May in terms of character history. But we'll find out tomorrow(hopefully there are references about it till before the 8th gym).

If only we can get the illusion that Iris could to be a combo of Misty and May out of our heads, then maybe we wouldn't say that she's done right when we haven't know enough about her in the first place.