• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Will Iris beating Cynthia create the worse backlash ever?

Is the backlash gonna be the worse?

• Total voters

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
Why would Iris beating Cynthia cause backlash? It makes sense story wise. It would be pretty satisfying in my opinion
1) Ash already beat her earlier on in Journeys

2) Many considered her annoying in BW

3) She was an average to decent trainer in BW

4) Cynthia was portrayed as the strongest champion in DP

5) Her Axew managed to last longer against Cynthia's Garchomp than Paul's Torterra,Murkrow,Weavile and Chimchar did despite Axew sitting in Iris's hair most of the time.

Eevee903

You are awesome!
1) Ash already beat her earlier on in Journeys

2) Many considered her annoying in BW

3) She was an average to decent trainer in BW

4) Cynthia was portrayed as the strongest champion in DP

5) Her Axew managed to last longer against Cynthia's Garchomp than Paul's Torterra,Murkrow,Weavile and Chimchar did despite Axew sitting in Iris's hair most of the time.
1) So? She is stronger now. Ash beat Hau too, yet they battled again in the Alola League.
2) And many consider her awesome in JN
3. Again BW isnt JN
4. In DP yes. News flash we are 12 years past that.
5) okay she got plot armor back then. Doesnt mean she needs it now.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
1) So? She is stronger now. Ash beat Hau too, yet they battled again in the Alola League.
3. Again BW isnt JN
4. In DP yes. News flash we are 12 years past that.
5) okay she got plot armor back then. Doesnt mean she needs it now.
These 4 points means Iris doesn't deserve to beat Cynthia,getting a BS off screen powerup won't change that.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
Deserve? Lol, I admit Iris change is too big to be offscreen. BUT dont act like Cynthia is a goddess.
She defeated 3/4 of the E4 members in Sinnoh and would've done the same thing to Caitlyn in BW if the time didn't run out.
She is just a trainer. If Iris has better strategies, she can definitely beat Cynthia.
What strategies?She wasn't even in the top 5 for most skilled trainers.

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
Deserve? Lol, I admit Iris change is too big to be offscreen.
She is a game champion. It's understandable.

BUT dont act like Cynthia is a goddess.
She isn't of course but it's called portrayal.
Back in DP-BW era Cynthia was portrayed as the unbeatable champion, and up till that point she was the strongest character to have appeared in the anime. There's a reason she ranks 2nd in the M8.
She is just a trainer. If Iris has better strategies, she can definitely beat Cynthia.
Well, I think Iris can give her a good run for her money but as of now I don't see Iris winning in all honesty. This is my opinion though.

Eevee903

You are awesome!
Well, I guess I have an unpopular opinion. Tho people seem to have different types of measurements:

"Diantha is weak cause she nearly lost to Ash-Greninja."
"Leon can only win due plot armor."
"Cynthia is naturally strong."
"Iris is weak, due her being Champion offscreen and she already lost to Ash."

People dont seem to have opinions on Steven or Lance.

Last edited:

Ryker101

It’ll be bad I bet, cause so many ppl want Ash vs Cynthia. Hell even more than Ash vs Leon. Not to mention how mixed ppl can be with Iris’ progression as a trainer

Alain vs Leon was bad enough but at least that was expected, this won’t be as bad but it’ll be up there. I can picture a lot of salt from Cynthia stans. But Iris’ ones will have a field day lol

Last edited:

Almighty Zard

He has returned.

You could look at that battle as a tie breaker since Hau had beaten Ash in his debut episode, but then lost later on in that same episode, thus they were tied heading into the league

If the brackets weren't so clear cut i'd be more ok with Iris beating Cynthia, but since that's not the case I'd rather she not advance.

Because I really don't want to see her and Ash face each other again, their great class battle was pretty intense as is, despite what people think about it.

But that in itself is the true issue, her fans complained when Ash beat her then, and with the stakes being even higher now the complaints would be even worse if he wins against her again.

Pokemonfan5

The Battle Frontier, Sinnoh and Kalos league feats have to be rated higher than winning a league where James reached the QF.

Also, Pikachu has defeated legendaries before.
Lol James ranking in Alola league matter as much as that Sinnoh league runner up who did much worst than top 4 Ash

According to your logic James is more powerful than average kalos league trainer because Illima end up in top 16 even with mega evolution

GLTSRY

Sorry not sorry for my smugness
According to your logic James is more powerful than average kalos league trainer because Illima end up in top 16 even with mega evolution
No, this, thankfully, is not my logic. It’s what you came up with in your tiny mind to try and ridicule me.

Pokemonfan5

No, this, thankfully, is not my logic. It’s what you came up with in your tiny mind to try and ridicule me.
You use James being quarter finalist in Alola league to downplay it but literally forget the fact that how he reach there and ignore a kalos league trainer end up in top 16 only because that will go against your stupid argument

AJ97

Kukui literally functions as the champion of Alola though prior to Ash, just not having the title because of there not being a league, but he's shown as the top trainer of Alola, the strongest and most famous, which is what a Champion is. Heck the way he's portrayed in the anime is just like how other Champions were, down to the point of him giving Ash a severe one sided beat up in the episode litten evolved, with even its evolution not being able to lay a scratch on Kukui's Incineroar
If this were the case, then what about Drake? He was in the exact same place as Kukui, however Ash defeating him did not make him a Regional Champion tier.
Lol are you kidding me? Ash used a rookie basic Pokemon against Kukui. We've seen other Champions absolutely destroy and wreck fully evolved veteran experienced pokemon.
We see Cynthia absolutely destroy Paul's Torterra which would be relative to some of Ash's experienced Aces. We see Steven Effortlessly hold his own against Alain's MCX (Which later goes on to be the first pokemon that actually beats an E4).

Most of your argument is based off your headcanon.
Tell me with a straight face Iris, Drasna, Raihan, Wallace were even shown close to a challenge as Kukui was. He's literally the end game boss, the Leon of SM.
This is a dumb argument. Being the Last battle does not = Regional Champion tier.
In Johto this was Harrison, in Hoenn this was Tyson, in Sinnoh this was mostly Paul (Tobias was more of a plot device inserted to stop Ash from winning the league), In Unova (Trying to forget about this), in Kalos this was Alain.
Ash was in fact shown to be much inferior to elite four members/Regional Champions until Journey's. Claiming their fights seem less intensive is not an argument to rate Kukui above.

Ash is just scaled to be that much stronger as his current end boss is the "Established" Strongest Trainer in the world.
At this point it feels you are avoiding and downplaying the narrative just to push your own powerscaling, when the anime rejected and refuted it, and clearly gave his status more preference and importance in regards to Alola's champion then any other feat.
Most of your power scaling regarding Kukui is based on your headcanon. Ash is always the underdog in almost all of his main battles. The simple fact is, we do not see Kukui actually defeat an Elite four member or Regional Champion on Screen.

Alain on the other hand, was the first trainer we see take down an Elite four Member in an actual battle and then go on to enter the PWC and reach the Master Class.