• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

~Will Paul Ever Change Like Gary??~

5ilVer

<-- so adorable ^_^
I don't know anything about changing but maybe calm down a bit with his "pokemon training"...
it's not like the guy is a total evil.....he is a good trainer....and I don't think his pokemon ever cried because of him..
people need to leave him alone...why change him?

Midnightmoon6o2

"Tougher than you."
I personally think Paul will change at the end of BF or maybe 5 gen? i mean he has a different way to rasie his pokemon. makes me wonder why he is like that?

By what i mean by change as in respect Ash, not changing into his brother. now that would be scary.

Anyway i bet most people didn't expect for Ash and Gary to be best friends yet Gary turning good, now look at him.

I bet Paul will change but as for now? not in a longshot.

Last edited:

BlueVapor

Why change Paul? His personality in the show makes him unique, it's unlike any other rival Ash has had. If the writers change it, he'll just be like any other rival Ash has had. Paul having a mean, slightly evil personality makes him interesting...

xxxLauraeevee96xxx

Pokemon Co-ordinator
He is not evil but he wont change even though ash will beat him (Very likely) he will just be gobsmacked at losing (cant wait to see his face) although the creators might surprise everyone and do what they did with Gary once he loses to ash he will become nicer

csisps_26

Roark <3
Paul, change? Well, maybe towards his Pokemon & perhaps Reggie, but not towards Ash, imo. Paul wouldn't be Paul if he became like Gary. I mean, it's nice to have Gary become nice, but to have Paul be all nice is just... not right. He's meant to be the lonely person he is right now.

I don't know anything about changing but maybe calm down a bit with his "pokemon training"...
it's not like the guy is a total evil.....he is a good trainer....and I don't think his pokemon ever cried because of him..
people need to leave him alone...why change him?

Err, Chimchar cried...a lot....like major crying even having a breakdown after joining Ash's team.

Anyway, I hope to god he doesn't change. And evil is a pretty harsh word for him. I'd say he's more of an ***. And as much as I detest him, I really don't want Paul to pull another Gary and turn good. Although a thoroughly unlikable person In my eyes, he's great as a rival to Ash. But I still want Ash to wreak his team and knock some sense into the blighter!

I don't think Paul will change because he seems to set in his training methods and his personality to change it. I'm guessing if he had any chance of changing, he would let what Ash & Co. says sink in, but he doesn't.

I hope he doesn't change because it's nice to have a different kind of personality for a character. I think the writers should keep Paul like he is because then kids can learn that you can and will meet people who aren't all 'goody-goody' or can be changed. But, if Paul does wind-up being a 4th gen. Gary...Well, I think he is/was a good character nonetheless.

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
I don't think Paul will change. You could see from the beginning that Gary was just a little obnoxious, and that's pretty easy to change after a while. Paul, however, is in my mind, actually cruel. He releases his Pokemon as little as a minute after he's captured them, he makes his Pokemon cry, he doesn't care if his Pokemon are tired. In Paul's mind, he's the king and all his Pokemon are slaves. And that's something that's harder to change than a little obnoxious personality.

Swampert_trainer

Laughs at thunder
Gary and Paul aren't all that similar. Gary was just an arrogant little twerp who was never much of a rival for Ash. We never got to see Gary's training methods and his Pokemon never got any character development.

To answer your question, I really hope that Paul doesn't end up changing. There really isn't anything wrong with Paul. Okay, sometimes he can be a little demanding of his Pokemon, but as worse he reminds me of a really demanding parent who expects their kid to get straight As. It has been shown that Paul cares for the health and well being of his Pokemon (though that one time he refused to take his Pokemon to the Pokemon center after his first match with Cynthia was kind of bad of him).

I really don't want Paul to change. He's the first interesting rival we've had in the show.

@TXC Bank Shot: Chimchar has always been sort of a softie. He'd cry after slightest reprimand. Paul's other Pokemon don't seem to have that big of a problem with him. Some Pokemon are just better with certain trainers. Chimchar fits in better with Ash and his "bestest friends".

Edit: I leveled up!

Last edited:
To answer your question, I really hope that Paul doesn't end up changing. There really isn't anything wrong with Paul. Okay, sometimes he can be a little demanding of his Pokemon, but as worse he reminds me of a really demanding parent who expects their kid to get straight As. It has been shown that Paul cares for the health and well being of his Pokemon (though that one time he refused to take his Pokemon to the Pokemon center after his first match with Cynthia was kind of bad of him).

I really don't want Paul to change. He's the first interesting rival we've had in the show.

@TXC Bank Shot: Chimchar has always been sort of a softie. He'd cry after slightest reprimand. Paul's other Pokemon don't seem to have that big of a problem with him. Some Pokemon are just better with certain trainers. Chimchar fits in better with Ash and his "bestest friends".

Edit: I leveled up!

I think you're forgetting that Paul singled out chimchar from the start, being the harshest towards him in order to get Chimchr to renact the blaze he saw Chimchar do the first time they met. And comaring his "training methods" to that of a demanding parent is ridiculous. Do demanding parents push their children to the point incapacitation? Do they put their children in situations that threaten their life? Also; i'm pretty sure that demanding parents generally pressure their children because they care for them and want their children to have the best future possible. Paul has shown no sign of caring for his pokemon. He only cares about using them like tools to get to the top. His training methods are verging on psycological abuse if you ask me.
And I wouldn't call Chimchar a wuss after all he's been through.
I'd probably be pretty traumatised and cry if the person in my life I cared for the most neglected me, had no care for my safety and well being, never praised me, tormented me pretty much constantly and eventually abandoned me with no regret whatsoever.

I do agree with you that Paul shouldn't change. There is plenty wrong with him, and that's what makes him such a great rival for Ash.

Bliksem

The Quirky Quilava
I don't think Paul will change. You could see from the beginning that Gary was just a little obnoxious, and that's pretty easy to change after a while. Paul, however, is in my mind, actually cruel. He releases his Pokemon as little as a minute after he's captured them, he makes his Pokemon cry, he doesn't care if his Pokemon are tired. In Paul's mind, he's the king and all his Pokemon are slaves. And that's something that's harder to change than a little obnoxious personality.
Then I would imagine that you're mistaken.

Think of it like a fictional martial art. Let's imagine that you're the Grand Master of Pseudofoo. There are hordes of students that you could train. Would you train students that are weak, or students that are focused and strong? Paul doesn't want to waste time building up the basics. Why waste time training Starly to learn Aerial Ace when you can catch one that already has it mastered? Why work to build up a Stantler when it only has Tackle to use?

The thing Paul wants most is to be strong, and in his mind, he can only do that by taking Pokemon that are naturally powerful and honing their skills. And no, he doesn't make his Pokemon cry. He made Chimchar cry. There's a difference, as Chimchar clearly didn't have the mental aptitude to meet Paul's standards. The power is there, Paul knows this, but it isn't worth the time to dig through all the trash to get to the gem. To expand on the metaphor, Chimchar was a diamond in the rough. Paul didn't want to go through the effort of cutting it. Ash, on the other hand, wants to make use of jewelry with the diamond as it is.

Honestly, I don't understand why people make such a big deal out of Paul releasing weak Pokemon. Would it not be better to release something you won't use back to its life, its friends and family, rather than just stuff it in a box or farm where it would have to start all over again, perhaps even be lonely?

EDIT: As to speculation, I predict Paul's reaction, should he lose to Ash would be as such; he will stick his hands into his pockets, turn, and walk away. Perhaps say something along the lines of "Well, that's that, then." In fact, I would offer that Ash would be far more instigating in his victory than Paul would be in defeat.

EDIT2:
I think you're forgetting that Paul singled out chimchar from the start, being the harshest towards him in order to get Chimchr to renact the blaze he saw Chimchar do the first time they met.
I'd probably be pretty traumatised and cry if the person in my life I cared for the most neglected me, had no care for my safety and well being, never praised me, tormented me pretty much constantly and eventually abandoned me with no regret whatsoever.
I would put that on you/Chimchar, then, for having flawed expectations of the arrangement. Paul never pretended to care or love; on numerous occasions, he's stating that doing so would result in Pokemon that are spoiled. Torterra, Electabuzz, Magmortar, Honchkrow and Ursaring seem to be getting along just fine with Paul's training methods. Weavile... easily the weak link.

Last edited:

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
He wont be like Gary. Gary has changed because his Grandfather, and we dont know who is Paul's father. maybe whan Ash will defeat him, he will change like his brother.

buizel kid

its not likley

Alkaide

Scary Faerie♥
I hope not. I mean, I like Gary and all, but I think Paul's a good change of pace for the animé. Although they need to stop viewing Paul as such a negative person within the animé, as in Ash and co. etc. It's not like he's actually evil.

Then I would imagine that you're mistaken.

Think of it like a fictional martial art. Let's imagine that you're the Grand Master of Pseudofoo. There are hordes of students that you could train. Would you train students that are weak, or students that are focused and strong? Paul doesn't want to waste time building up the basics. Why waste time training Starly to learn Aerial Ace when you can catch one that already has it mastered? Why work to build up a Stantler when it only has Tackle to use?

Honestly, I don't understand why people make such a big deal out of Paul releasing weak Pokemon. Would it not be better to release something you won't use back to its life, its friends and family, rather than just stuff it in a box or farm where it would have to start all over again, perhaps even be lonely?

I would put that on you/Chimchar, then, for having flawed expectations of the arrangement. Paul never pretended to care or love; on numerous occasions, he's stating that doing so would result in Pokemon that are spoiled. Torterra, Electabuzz, Magmortar, Honchkrow and Ursaring seem to be getting along just fine with Paul's training methods. Weavile... easily the weak link.

If you're saying that Paul's training methods could be considered realistic, then I agree. However, you're completely missing the point on all the hate on Paul. Most people resent him for his tecniques as a trainer. He acts all elitist, belittling pokemon and humans alike calling them pathetic, when he really is the pathetic one. Paul constantly takes the easy way out, capturing only the best to make it easy enough for him to train them. While as realistic as it is; I and many people find it pathetic. It also makes him look lazy and unskilled. He shows little care for pokemon, treating them like tools. Personally, I consider him a lousey trainer, due to his methods. If he was as skilled as all the fans think, then why couldn't he train his Chimchar properly, while Ash managed to evolve him? I think Ash is a far more skilled trainer than Paul. He has been shown to train any pokemon to strength, no matter how weak they are, while Paul just gives up and abandons them. Also in answer to you question: on "why work to build up a stantler that only knows tackle?" Err, maybe because most trainers aren't as superficial as Paul and actually enjoy training and developing their pokemon? Paul is also a complete hypocrite. In the episode Chim-Charred, Paul tells Ash that a loss is the trainers fault. If he believes this, then why does he always take it out on his pokemon? He has never been shown to blame himself.

most people don't like Paul releasing weak pokemon because of two things. It's a very cruel thing to do, especially when that pokemon had bonded with you. eg. Chimchar. (I'm not saying its always bad to release a pokemon you have bonded with. Ash and other trainers have done this manny times, but only because they thought it would be best for them. Eg. Ash releasing butterfree, so it could live a happy life with its mate. While Paul just release them because considers them of no use to him. Very selfish if you ask me)and it shows how weak he is, if he can't train his pokemon properly. And what makes you think all pokemon have a happy life? Chimchar was shown to have had a horrible life in the wild. And if you think Chimchar had such a great and happy life, then why did he join him?

Also, when did I say Chimchar had expectations for his new life? I never said I would. If you ask me, the reason Chimchar joined him was because of what a crap life he had in the wild and would do anything to escape from it. I also never said paul pretended to like his pokemon. I said Chimchar cared for Paul. That doesn't mean Paul cared for him; which is one of the main reasons why Chimchar suffered under Paul's wing. And as I clearly said in my previous post; PAUL SINGLED OUT CHIMCHAR. This meant he got the worst treatment because of his large potential and current weakness combined. The rest of his pokemon have been shown to be strong, so Paul doesn't give them a hard time. Maybe he does, but not as harsh as Chimchar for definate.

I hope not. I mean, I like Gary and all, but I think Paul's a good change of pace for the animé. Although they need to stop viewing Paul as such a negative person within the animé, as in Ash and co. etc. It's not like he's actually evil.

Lol, of course he isn't evil. He's just and arrogant, cruel selfish, unlikable guy. :p