• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Will the Alola League be called a "minor" league? (slight spoilers)

Do you think the Alola League will be regarded as a Minor League in the anime?

• Total voters

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
We all know ever since the sword and shield games came along the terms "major league" and "minor league" have been getting thrown about.

I have to wonder if the Alola league will be considered a Minor league in the anime, and if so who will "say" it.

While I would prefer they don't do it, as it would somewhat discredit Ash's win, but at the same time, you can not argue that compared to other regional leagues it was pretty lax in comparison.

-No qualifications were needed to enter (I honestly wonder what the Alola group would think if they found out they needed 8 badges, especially Kiawe who couldn't beat Brock)
-There were no six on six battles in the main tournament
-The sleep call during rowlet's match (since back during the indigo league Squirtle was ruled unable to battle by sleep)

I could name other examples, but those are the most prominent.

I know it would be mean, but at the same time, there's the saying "Rome wasn't built in a day" Kakui's eagerness to get a league established in Alola, did somewhat undercut the importance of it, and it would not surprise me in the least if he and the alola league in general was called out for that.

But as for who does it...if the anime chooses to do it, I don't know.

Your thoughts and please be civil about this.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
You misunderstand. The major and minor leagues only applied to the gyms. Some gyms were in the major league while the other ones (not shown in game presumably) were minor. Pokemon Leagues had nothing to do with this (not like there is one in Galar anyway)

They aren't going to say it, but I am :oops:

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
No they aren't lol, minor and major gyms are only a thing in galar and refer to its gym system, idk why it will be used outside of that region especially when regulating alola to a lesser league is only a fanon thing. It's a proper actual league.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Why do people bring up the clearly outdated "sleep = KO" thing when Ash fought not one, but two opponents in the Sinnoh League who used a sleep strategy and none of his Pokemon were declared unable to battle because of it? Also, the idea that the Alola League is somehow lesser than its predecessors is pure fan junk. There's nothing in-universe to suggest anyone actually holds this opinion.

Last edited:

DatsRight

Why do people bring up the clearly outdated "sleep = KO" thing when Ash fought not one, but two opponents in the Sinnoh League who used a sleep strategy and none of his Pokemon were declared unable to battle because of it? Also, the idea that the Alola League is somehow lesser than its predecessors is pure fan junk. There's nothing in-universe to suggest anyone actually holds this opinion.

Plus you know, the uproar about Ash's Charizard being eliminated due to sleeping in the Kanto League.

I do get the feeling the Alola League will be undermined as a lower tier league (it already is to some degree). Hell it might have even been deliberate, given Journeys is making clear there's still plenty of more challenging adversaries around. I do think it's something that has been brought on by formula however, and that if the other leagues had taken their own liberties it wouldn't have been nearly as glaring. They only chose to spice things up for the league Ash won.

Epicocity

To be fair to this, while I agree that sleep doesn't mean KO, it also should not have meant Ash got a free do-over. With Rowlet being asleep, Nanu made a call and even it was a bad call, it should have been upheld. But it wasn't, fine. However, in a normal match, Hala should have made the battle resume without Ash having the chance to waken Rowlet, like how a normal battle would proceed.

There are a lot of little criticisms that build into the major screw up of that battle. Though it does highlight that compared to every other League, the referees are really not trained or professional.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
People would argue on how the Alola League, along with its battles, its outcomes and its timing are written but to me it is as major league like any past regional leagues.

Red and Blue

It's was treated as a League on the scale of the previous ones in universe and that's all that matters. Ash was still dumbfounded that he won and even asked "did he win". That validates it for me.

Plus if it was just a "minor" League someone probably would have made a point of that at before it started

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I think it will be a major league in the future because Alola has many trainers and has Trials which basically are Gym Challenges only they typically involve nature and wild Pokémon with a few exceptions. The Alola League has only just been set up and held for the first time ever so it’s only natural that it will be small for a few years before it becomes much bigger.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
I thought the Alola league was pure **** but I wouldn't call it a 'minor league'. That's a distinction that I save for the Orange league only since it wasn't even a tourney unlike the way the other leagues have been.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
The Alola League will be called lots of things but minor doesn't work because ironically it was the longest League tournament that the show's ever had lol. It was a bigger event than other Leagues even if you hate the writing.

Lmao I love how accurate this is. With 18 episodes given to it the anime made it a more bigger event than any other league and yet people try to pretend it isn't legit :p

RafaSceptile

People forget that very likely the first previous leagues began such as the Alola League

Lmao I love how accurate this is. With 18 episodes given to it the anime made it a more bigger event than any other league and yet people try to pretend it isn't legit :p

I think it was 17 episodes long from SM128 to SM144, however still twice longer than the previous longest, Johto and Sinnoh with 8 episodes.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
I don't think they will bring that up(writers) but Alola league definitely is not as important as other leagues(Kanto,Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova and Kalos) because of some things you have said like: no requirements as in no badges, battles are all 1 on 1 except semi finals and finals which are 2 on 2 and 3 on 3. No full battles except exhibition match ( but I am talking before getting a trophy), everyone can enter. You can use wild Pokemon in it(?), and battles are basically from Top 16 which are basically how those BW tournaments are formed instead of Top 64+.

RafaSceptile

I don't think they will bring that up(writers) but Alola league definitely is not as important as other leagues(Kanto,Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova and Kalos) because of some things you have said like: no requirements, no badges, battles are all 1 on 1 except semi finals and finals which are 2 on 2 and 3 on 3. No full battles except exhibition match ( but I am talking before getting a trophy). You can use wild Pokemon in it(?), and battled are basically from Top 16 which are basically how those BW tournaments are formed instead of Top 64+.

Nobody cares about requerement if in the end only the strongest trainers reach to the final rounds. If every single person participated in the Sinnoh or the Kalos League, the top64 (the one with requirements) should be the same.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
Nobody cares about requerement if in the end only the strongest trainers reach to the final rounds. If every single person participated in the Sinnoh or the Kalos League, the top64 (the one with requirements) should be the same.
Strongest trainers are already in Top 64+ since they all beat 8 gym leaders lol, that's what having 8 badges means. While in Alola strongest trainers are like in Top 8( and even some in 8 wouldn't pass gym requirements).
If anyone in Alola league has done gym quest to enter Alola league it would've been like 5-6 people lol. So yes, "everyone cares" about requirements.