1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Will the dub production now have to speed up because of x and y?

Discussion in 'Animé Polls' started by croagunk22, Jan 16, 2013.

1. croagunk22

croagunk22 Well-Known Member

well if x and y are supposed to be released around the same time in the US as Japan, and the anime for the previous gen usually finishes a few weeks before the new gen, will the same have to happen for the US now I dont see them missing out on advertising the new gen with the anime in the US.

2. dman_dustin

dman_dustin Well-Known Member

Either way this is a horrible situation, which would be remedied if Japan released the anime a few months before the actual games, but that's not going to happen.

The only thing the US dub can do should it come about is:

Is pick a few episodes (2-4) and air them when the games do come out, go back and finish Episode N, then when it comes to airing the new series, start off with those same few episodes.

The only problem with this, is Japan would take full precedence of airing first. It's not likely at all for the English Dub (US) to air these episodes around the time the games are released, not even if the new series was to air September 5th, and the English Games won't come out until October 27th.

Either way there is going to have to be a long period between the two, the original and the dub.

There's just no way this is going to work out perfectly for anyone, since I actually see the Japanese releasing the anime in September rather than October which will before the games.

3. croagunk22

croagunk22 Well-Known Member

i agree they really have put themselves in a situation that doesn't make sense

4. Aura Guardian Ash

Aura Guardian Ash Aura Guardian

The only way they could do this is if they air the Pokemon episodes simultaneously as Japan online by subbing them, kind of like how funimation is doing now with some of their series. The only problem is that Pokemon is for younger viewers so it will be difficult for younger viewers to watch the show like that compared to the older fans who are used to watching anime like this.

5. Haunter ゴースト

Haunter ゴースト Well-Known Member

It would be brilliant if we got another announcement that they are also going to sync the Japanese and Dub episodes too, but yeah I doubt it so we're pretty screwed.

6. dman_dustin

That could never happen, until they close the gap that already exists, and I'm not talking about the obvious gap between the airing of the original, and the airing of the US dub.

I'm talking about the gap between the end of production of an original episode and the end of the production of a dubbed episode.

Only then could TPCI collaborate with Japan/TV Tokyo/OLM/Whoever and make it potentially possible.

But in an instance like that I just don't see about 48 episodes a year. I just don't see it.

I know TPCI gets the episodes before the air in the original, since Unfezant was in the opening prior to Tranquill evolving in the original. But that only happened because the episode was done with production of the episode, and ready to air, so then they gave said episode to TPCI.

But still any 6th generation anime episode even the first one is at most in pre-production. I don't think it's quite gotten to the animated stage, but it could be possible.

7. Haunter ゴースト

But that's exactly my point, what if they have done this without us knowing and want to announce it soon.

I'm not saying this is even remotely happening, but it would be amazing if they had.

8. lolipiece

lolipiece Moderator Staff Member Moderator

No.

There is absolutely no reason to do this.

9. Haunter ゴースト

Why?

Oh I get it, you want the dub anime to be behind the release of the X and Y games by several months. It all makes so much more sense now.

10. gohan5

gohan5 Irisboy

No I don't think that's what he meant, but they shouldn't try to overdo it. The worldwide release was hard enough, episodes just can't work that way for a dub.

11. Haunter ゴースト

I know I know, but it's created one hell of a mess.

12. gohan5

gohan5 Irisboy

I think it's fine, remember we used to have even bigger gaps with the 4kids dub. A couple months off the anime and games is nothing compared to back then.

13. Flame Haji

Flame Haji Dark Type Trainer

Wow, I did not even thing about that....thats crazy, I am not sure how this will work lol. I mean people will still watch the X and Y series even if it airs way after the game comes out.

But if there is a Black and White 2, then that gives them more time to air the series....maybe.

14. dman_dustin

Unless TPCI worked it's employees like dogs (aka Slaves), there is no possible way they could've closed the gap,

Because for one thing: That would mean they would've had already been able to dub the episodes the moment they had to get the copy.

However you missed my point.

The Japanese have already done the voice acting on their episodes, before being sent out to TPCI. I suppose the voice acting doesn't matter very much but if I'm not mistaken that's how they translate the episode. So that has to take at least a week or so, and perhaps additional time, to create the proper dub translation to fit the lip flaps, of the anime. And so on and so forth.

I've thought of this, and unless TPCI worked very closely with the original production team as the episodes are being created, THERE IS NO way that the dub and original can sync up. At best we might get a 2 week delay, if that and that's probably if they push TPCI employees to crap out an episode.

And it'll be far from decent quality.

15. pokeaussie37

pokeaussie37 Well-Known Member

My opinion is that the Japanese anime will start a week or two before the X and Y games come out, as I think something similar happened for Black and White. I think that the dubbers will air a double episode here and there, or just not take any weeks off but Japan does, or something like that. Either way the dub is not going to catch up with the raw, but I believe the gap will at least be closed somewhat.

16. moneylesswario

moneylesswario Shudo's Powerhouses

It would be nice, but I can't see TPCi doing this.

17. No, and I really don't want TPCi to, either. Let them take their time and create the good, solid episodes they've been putting out these days in BW. Do we want the rushed BF eps again, people? I don't think so. That's way too unfeasible, and is putting way to much pressure on them. Their gap really isn't that large to start with: 4Kids gap was larger between the episodes (this coming from someone who likes the 4Kids dub more, no less).

I had an idea: maybe TPCi could do another "sneak-peek" esque thing of the X and Y anime in the US and air in on CN. You know, one akin to the "Advanced Generation" preview that aired on Kids' WB and the "Diamond and Pearl" one that aired on CN as well. I like those, actually. Gets you hyped up for the next series.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  18. Haunter ゴースト

I know what you mean, and again that's what i'm trying to say, it'd be interesting if they actually managed to do this. I mean it's happened with the games and they made a huge fuss about it.

Anyway, i've noticed what you've said below so never mind.

I see what you mean, and there's no point getting in a huge debate since neither of us really know how it plays out for definete.

But I will say this, there's no reason why they can't hire more people to translate the episodes until they catch up. Voicing them however is definetly one process though as they can't hire new voice actors (please don't change them again).

I don't know. I don't think it's going to happen I was just saying it's one of the many possibilities.

This made me laugh, because the dub has terrible quality anyway.

They mistranslate a tonne of lines, improvise and make up their own dialogue and... unfortunately the voices of each character (in BF specifically) sound horrible. I've only just managed to tolerate them during the latter half of DP and through to now.

I liked all of the VA's from the OS and AG straight off the back. It took time getting used to the new ones although i suppose it was because i was used to the original VA's.

19. I'm actually used to the current VAs as well, but I don't really have any...erm...affinity/attachment to them like I did with the original VA cast. I got used to them around the tail-end of DP, and the beginning of the first season of BW.

At least we can be thankful they're much, much better than in BF, and the first 2-3 seasons of DP. It was hard just to watch the dub back then for me. Kudos to them on some significant improvement and I think they're tolerable-good these days. Occasionally pretty good at times.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  20. dman_dustin

I didn't say perfect quality, or on par quality with the original.

I say decent, because I'm pretty sure if there was some serious pushing to get episodes dubbed, everyone would be thankful of the current arrangement.

Trust me, the more time constraints there are, there's going to be some cutting of corners, going on, so what you may think is terrible quality.

Just imagine the abomination the dub would produce if it had even more severe time constraints. On top of all the legal issues that would arise from the situation. The dub would crumble, and be put on a long hiatus (if it were to ever return).