• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Will the dub production now have to speed up because of x and y?

Haunter ゴースト

I'm actually used to the current VAs as well, but I don't really have any...erm...affinity/attachment to them like I did with the original VA cast. I got used to them around the tail-end of DP, and the beginning of the first season of BW.

At least we can be thankful they're much, much better than in BF, and the first 2-3 seasons of DP. It was hard just to watch the dub back then for me. Kudos to them on some significant improvement and I think they're tolerable-good these days. Occasionally pretty good at times.

You know, that's exactly how I feel on the situation too. Although, when the BF change happened I stopped watching and started watching again (rewatched the earlier ones i'd missed) at the Sinnoh League. At the time of BF I was about to enter secondary school so I was growing out of Pokemon anyway so I suppose I blamed the VA switch on my reason for not watching anymore. Little did I know i'd get sucked back into the franchise four years down the line and realised I can't forget it. I learnt that the VA switch was nothing in reality, it was just me throwing a fit at how 'the new series suck' etc. being immature.

Ha, look at me now I love everything about the Anime and the Generations. None are better than the other, although I do have favourites.

I didn't say perfect quality, or on par quality with the original.

I say decent, because I'm pretty sure if there was some serious pushing to get episodes dubbed, everyone would be thankful of the current arrangement.

Trust me, the more time constraints there are, there's going to be some cutting of corners, going on, so what you may think is terrible quality.

Just imagine the abomination the dub would produce if it had even more severe time constraints. On top of all the legal issues that would arise from the situation. The dub would crumble, and be put on a long hiatus (if it were to ever return).

I agree to an extent, it's hard to see how the voice actors would sound any different if they were pushed harder. The only thing I can think of is that the dialogue lines would be a little more frequent, although in the OS and AG that was nothing out of the ordinary.

Fair enough dman! It'll be interesting to see what does happen.

I imagine the XY anime will just be delayed a few months unfortunately.

Jazzy-Strings

Aggression
I break on that yeh they will have too speed up and that the x and y will have to be a few months late but they better not skip the episode N series.

You know, that's exactly how I feel on the situation too. Although, when the BF change happened I stopped watching and started watching again (rewatched the earlier ones i'd missed) at the Sinnoh League. At the time of BF I was about to enter secondary school so I was growing out of Pokemon anyway so I suppose I blamed the VA switch on my reason for not watching anymore. Little did I know i'd get sucked back into the franchise four years down the line and realised I can't forget it. I learnt that the VA switch was nothing in reality, it was just me throwing a fit at how 'the new series suck' etc. being immature.

Ha, look at me now I love everything about the Anime and the Generations. None are better than the other, although I do have favourites.

Agreed on most things, especially the fact I can't forget the franchise. Personally, I'm a little upset with the anime these days, but also pleased as well at some things as well: but actually (although I may not show it), I'm mostly happy about BW. Only a few things make me upset at times like the Unova League. Either way, it definitely does give me fond memories to look back on, though.

Only part I disagree with you about is that I do feel the dub switch has caused the English dub to decline in quality in some ways, most notably the voices for the main characters aren't as good as they were before (IMO, of course). Still, you're right, I eventually realized that doesn't give me an excuse to bash the newer series, just because I feel that the show has lost some of its charm and superb VA work over the years in the English dub. :D

Last edited:

dman_dustin

I agree to an extent, it's hard to see how the voice actors would sound any different if they were pushed harder. The only thing I can think of is that the dialogue lines would be a little more frequent, although in the OS and AG that was nothing out of the ordinary.

Fair enough dman! It'll be interesting to see what does happen.

I imagine the XY anime will just be delayed a few months unfortunately.

Look at it this way.

Even if it's Voice actors they still have a director, so they are still acting.

That means if it was a movie (real life action) with some severe time constraints, we may get something like actors laughing even if the scene isn't funny but was funny because one of the actors messed up their lines, causing something that we see in gag reels, and bloopers. (In VAs it might be grammatical errors, and such).

It would be an awful mess, that they probably couldn't air anyway, creating a gap to streamline the dubbing processes. Plus the stress of having time constraints could indeed cause the voices of the characters to alter to a worse state of quality.

In a perfect world, maybe an episode could be dubbed easily within two weeks (good translation, good VAs, good editing, including music and such and so forth) and air within 2 weeks. But keep in mind there are around 48 episodes to dub a year, because 48 seems to be the number of episodes that Japan put out, but I don't know the actual average number of episodes. I just say 48, because of breaks that aren't going to change, it could be like 46 or something. But point being, 48 episodes is a lot to dub, each day of work would have to be (for VAs) be a new episode, at least then they'd have 5 weeks of episode, then maybe they can take a break, or something.

But I guess I should say I don't know the entire dubbing process. For all we know, they're probably already dubbing the last League Episode as we speak, it's just going to take a few more weeks before we get there.

Last edited:
Look at it this way.

Even if it's Voice actors they still have a director, so they are still acting.

That means if it was movie with some severe time constraints, we may get something like actors laughing even if the scene isn't funny but was funny because one of the actors messed up their lines, causing something that we see in gag reels, and bloopers. (In VAs it might be grammatical errors, and such).

It would be an awful mess, that they probably couldn't air anyway, creating a gap to streamline the dubbing processes. Plus the stress of having time constraints could indeed cause the voices of the characters to alter to a worse state of quality.

In a perfect world, maybe an episode could be dubbed easily within two weeks (good translation, good VAs, good editing, including music and such and so forth) and air within 2 weeks. But keep in mind there are around 48 episodes to dub a year, because 48 seems to be the number of episodes that Japan put out, but I don't know the actual average number of episodes. I just say 48, because of breaks that aren't going to change, it could be like 46 or something. But point being, 48 episodes is a lot to dub, each day of work would have to be (for VAs) be a new episode, at least then they'd have 5 weeks of episode, then maybe they can take a break, or something.

But I guess I should say I don't know the entire dubbing process. For all we know, they're probably already dubbing the last League Episode as we speak, it's just going to take a few more weeks before we get there.

I think the more time they take, the better the end product will be in terms of the voice acting. So I say, they don't rush it and take their time with it. :)

Eievui-Nymphia

XY, gen of dreams.
The dub is going to air in the US with a less than 3 month break when we're going to the breaks that Japan has recently (counting that the dub airs the episode each week with no interruptions). The dub could have a break of like 80 ndays when the XY anime came out. That's less than three months. Not a lot, yeah.

The problem is that we have is that the anime promotes the games. And if the series is released in Japan when the games are released, the series will start just after Christmas. This is bad marketing. The agames need special promotion of the anime isn two dates: At game release and in Christmas time.

The solution that I see is airing the new anime in Japan before the games are released in September. The dub will continue into Episode N, when the games are released they air a sneak peek, continue to Episode N and they air the new anime since Episode 1 in Christmas.

And about VA, this is easy. The dub dubs episode before the anime airs in the original now. I think of a case where Trip's VA is voicing a battle almost 2 months before the episode aired... in Japan. Remember that now, TPCi works closely with Japan to dub the episodes at minimum time possible, sometimes with the episodes recently completed and way months before the episode aired.

And I think that there are like 12 episodes ready to air in Japan with the production completed, specially with TV Tokyo recent breaks. I feel so.

SlimeStack

Warning: ignorance.

If they can translate the games before they're released, then can't they do that for the anime too? I'm just talking about localising the anime while the Japanese version is being produced and recorded here, getting TCPi to finish with season 16 and start working on X and Y at the same time as Japan is a separate issue.

It would be very weird to have the games and not have the anime start for another 3 months. Or even weirder, having Team Plasma episodes air when X and Y are out.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Warning: ignorance.

If they can translate the games before they're released, then can't they do that for the anime too? I'm just talking about localising the anime while the Japanese version is being produced and recorded here, getting TCPi to finish with season 16 and start working on X and Y at the same time as Japan is a separate issue.

It would be very weird to have the games and not have the anime start for another 3 months. Or even weirder, having Team Plasma episodes air when X and Y are out.

They could air the first eps of X and Y as a movie like they did DP and than dub the rest at a pace they can handle. so the USA would get 3 or 4 eps of X and Y as a movie and that they finish off airing seasons 16

The dub is going to air in the US with a less than 3 month break when we're going to the breaks that Japan has recently (counting that the dub airs the episode each week with no interruptions). The dub could have a break of like 80 ndays when the XY anime came out. That's less than three months. Not a lot, yeah.

The problem is that we have is that the anime promotes the games. And if the series is released in Japan when the games are released, the series will start just after Christmas. This is bad marketing. The agames need special promotion of the anime isn two dates: At game release and in Christmas time.

Advanced did not air until Novemeber in the states but we got the games in March. Now that was 4Kids and they were behind a lot so that could be why but not sure how that affected the games as much.

Last edited:
The solution that I see is airing the new anime in Japan before the games are released in September. The dub will continue into Episode N, when the games are released they air a sneak peek, continue to Episode N and they air the new anime since Episode 1 in Christmas.

That's along the lines of what I was thinking as well.

adamfitz

poké-lover
It would be brilliant if we got another announcement that they are also going to sync the Japanese and Dub episodes too, but yeah I doubt it so we're pretty screwed.

Yeah I hope for that too, but that's a wish
I cant think of a way for things too work out perfectly....

My hopes are they finish in unova completely.
And move onto x and y at the same time as the release date.
I don't to have played the game and near complete the story and just begin to watch the anime.
I've no solution ideas only hopes.

Last edited: