• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Will The World End in 2012?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joker0187

my rolfcopter goes..
not even
remember the y2k scare?????

Frost Nova

The predator awaits.
Nostradamus also predicted the world would end on July 1999: ten years on and we're still around.

This thread is getting rather, unmotivating.

pocketmunster

munster in my pocket
I don't think a race that slaughtered people to make their crops grow faster are exactly the most ideal predictors of Armageddon.
You guys need to get better at finding symbolic meaning in things. Its NOT SUPPOSED TO MEAN THE END OF THE WORLD. Stop spreading misinfomation.

The Long Count b'ak'tun date of this starting point (13.0.0.0.0) is repeated for the first time in a span of approximately 5,125 solar years. The significance of this period-ending to the pre-Columbian Maya themselves is unclear, and there is an incomplete inscription (Tortuguero Monument 6) that records this date. It is also to be found carved on the walls of the Temple of Inscriptions in Palenque, where it functions as a base date from which other dates are computed.[5] But the Maya certainly did not take it as representing the end of the current world, since an inscription by Pacal at Palenque looks forward to a royal anniversary on October 15th, 4772.
It will actually be pretty interesting from astronomical point of view. A cycle that repeates ever 5,125 solar years and we get to live in the time of this cycle ending. Pretty awesom.

Last edited:

ForeverFlame

No, the world ended on January 1 2000, silly! Or was it June 6 2006?

But I guess I cannot deny 12/21/12. There is so much scientifical evidence that points towards it! A bunch of dead primitive people writing stuff down is obviously factual. Almost as factual as dead primitive people writing stuff down about a tall bearded guy creating the universe.

Pyrax

The Ghost of Tsushima
The world WON'T end in 2012, if it does I'll bury myself alive.

Serously, the world was supposed to end 10 and 3 years ago, and yet everyone's still here.

Littlemyuu

Like i said before the MYAN calender ended in 2012 thats when notrodamus started this stuff about 2012 but I DON'T BELIVE IT so...
I know, what i mean with God only knows is true...i dont say that for fun...
i also dont believe in it thats why i said it...maybe i believe...i just dont know..

mangaeyes

I think somebody found these bits in the bible (or wherever they're from) and then came up with a nice little story about it. Surely it would make worldwide news? Surely if it is real scientists would be working on a little something to stop the end of our world?

I don't agree that God knows when the world will end. I think the sun decides. When it fizzles out we die (or rather our great, great, great, great grandkids die). After all science tells us a lot whereas the bible...well at one point it said that the man in the sky magically created animals and now all of sudden they've changed there story to evolution (which science supports).

Last edited:

Noheart

The Abysswalker
*sigh*

NO ONE will know for sure until the designated date passes.

I honestly don't believe it will, but, everyone has their own beliefs and theories...

And Nostradamus' ideas were too broad, it was obvious he didn't know as much as everything think he did. Smart guy, yes, but he isn't a prophet or anything of the sort.

Yonowarru

Roaring Flames!
Hmm...I don't really think that it the world will come to an end on that date...just a bunch a speculation, I think.

Mark_Chaos

WARP EVOLUTION!
Well I take Astronomy in my High School and my Astronomy teacher printed out an article about what would happen if there was a perfect solar storm hit Earth. A solar perfect storm could happen when the Sun is in it's last year of a Solar Cycle (every 11 years), where tons of sunspots appear on the Sun and if some collide, they might throw off this Solar Storm. What should be aware of is that if this storm hits today's modern world, all technology would overload and shutdown across the whole Earth. It happened back in 1859, but the only thing they had then was the telegraph, so they were spared. Today's modern world would be screwed. This seems the likest to be the end of the world.

The world is without end people, if you're a Christian, you'll know a bunch of Christians have prophesied the rapture before the third world war, which they claim to be in the year 2012. If you're a Christian then you know you'll be taken up with Jesus, the war happens, and so on

If you're NOT a Christian, and you're scientifically learned, then you believe something like what Mark Chaos up there said. Or you could theorize that the world will end once the big crunch starts, or somewhere within that time period.

Some people have said that on 2012 the magnetic field protecting the earth will momentarily disappear due to the magnetic poles shifting positions, as it has been said to have happened in the past. During this time period, there will be nothing protecting us from solar winds, and all satellites will most certainly burn up, this could go in corralation with the Solar Storm Mark Chaos posted about.

Most people know of the ancient calendar, and it ending in 2012, but what some don't know, is that for every sun that has "died" in the past, a new one has taken it's place, or so they have theorized, thus the fifth sun thing.

According to science, matter cannot be created or diminished from existence; according to science, all our interactions with the world as we know it are electrical pulses interpreted by our brain. "I think, therefore I am" and so on, and so forth

Are you prepared for this to happen? Are you prepared for death? Do we really have a soul? ... Is life even... real...

If you're NOT a Christian, and you're scientifically learned, then you believe something like what Mark Chaos up there said. Or you could theorize that the world will end once the big crunch starts, or somewhere within that time period.
Actually, 5,4 billion years from now. When the Sun is using its own core as fuel in its last moments, grows tremendously and "swallows' Mercury, Venus and Earth

Some people have said that on 2012 the magnetic field protecting the earth will momentarily disappear due to the magnetic poles shifting positions, as it has been said to have happened in the past. During this time period, there will be nothing protecting us from solar winds, and all satellites will most certainly burn up, this could go in corralation with the Solar Storm Mark Chaos posted about.
The field doesn't dissappear when the poles shift, it only weakens (raising the chance of getting skin cancer with 90%)

Most people know of the ancient calendar, and it ending in 2012, but what some don't know, is that for every sun that has "died" in the past, a new one has taken it's place, or so they have theorized, thus the fifth sun thing.
Actually, I have no clue what you're talking about in this part. It is true that the sun possibly was formed because of the destruction of another star, but it's more likely that a big cloud of gasses collapsed and the sun was formed from the reactions. Even if it was formed out of another star, it'd be only the 2nd one, not the 5th.
Forgive me if you meant something else than this.

According to science, matter cannot be created or diminished from existence; according to science, all our interactions with the world as we know it are electrical pulses interpreted by our brain. "I think, therefore I am" and so on, and so forth
Matter can be created out of energy. It is true that energy can't be created or destroyed
Comments are in bold.

I was just pointing out what people believe, I have no idea when, or even IF the world is coming to an end, but nothing truly lasts forever, no not even a diamond.

What I meant by the fifth sun thing is that, like most people now realize, the world isn't coming to an end when the calendar stops, a new one must be made.

Heck I don't know why we're so concerned with the time it will happen, since we measure time by the rotation of earth on it's own axis, how do we even know that time exists, truth is it doesn't, as most know, the same rules for time apply less and less the farther we get form our sun. There's no way to precisely calculate a calendar based on the position of the stars, because as the universe expands, their position in ever changing, nothing can stay in exactly the same place.

We're a pretty small spec of dist compared to the universe really, who's gonna miss us? Nobody =P

Who knows, some people deserve to die =P "There are two things that are infinite, the universe, and human stupidity... and I'm not so sure about the universe" --Einstein(I heard the quote in Spanish so I don't know how it's worded in sexy English)

CharizardBlastoise

Squirtle Power!
If we are dead, oh well
if we arn't who cares? forget about it and move on.

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
This date does have more signifigance than most dooms day predictions because it has been predicted independently by different sources. However, what they're tapping into isn't necessarily the end of the earth. What's going to happen is that the earth and sun are going to line up with the black hole in the center of the Milky Way. That's why the Mayans predicted it- they believed that the world of the gods where that black hole is. They thought that their half snake chief god was going to descend to the earth on that day and give us world peace and flying cars. Or something like that.

I don't buy this New Age crap about us harmonizing spiritually or whatever, either. I mean, I'm all for spirituality and the connectivity of human consciousness... But how people can think that everyone in the world is suddenly going to stop being selfish and start feeling groovy about peace and love, I have no idea.

Eh? That's not what that phrase means. Descartes meant that all of reality could be an illusion, but I have to exist in some form to be able to perceive it (or create it). Matter and energy are different forms of the same thing... sorta. If one is converted into the other, it has to balance out. Anyway.

Last edited:
You don't exist Hakajin, get over it jk

The human race simply cannot come together as one, we just can't get along, we're all to different to agree on everything, even on peace. Some people just get a kick out of wars =]

Status
Not open for further replies.