• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Will the Z-Move Work?! Challenging the Grand Trial!! (953)

Soniman

Break the Limit
Nice point bringing up 2 different contexts entirely just to prove me wrong, which you failed to do.
Have a nice day

Funny considering it was you who did that first to stick it to XY's early battles (with wrong information in the case of Bunnelby) so I only wanted to set the facts straight

Last edited:

Janovy

Banned
So no one acknowledged the strategies he came up with last series too? Is that what you're trying to say here as well?
Not really. XY Ash was praised for his unique strategies and competence no matter how basic they were in reality.

SM Ash was disliked from the start, before the series even premiered. In this series, Ash's strategies go unnoticed/ignored because, let's face it, he can't live up to the glory of XY Ash, the pinnacle of all Ash incarnations. Nothing he ever does will ever be good enough to impress anyone because not only is he less appealing now due to his "crappy" new design, but he's also more lively and funnier, which doesn't really sit well with people looking for an edgier/serious protagonist. He also looks a lot younger and..well, we can't have a young-looking 10 year old.

At least that's my perception of things, I hope I'm wrong. It feels like people are deliberately ignoring/undermining whatever good he does.

Soniman

Break the Limit
Not really. XY Ash was praised for his unique strategies and competence no matter how basic they were in reality.

SM Ash was disliked from the start, before the series even premiered. In this series, Ash's strategies go unnoticed/ignored because, let's face it, he can't live up to the glory of XY Ash, the pinnacle of all Ash incarnations. Nothing he ever does will ever be good enough to impress anyone because not only is he less appealing now due to his "crappy" new design, but he's also more lively and funnier, which doesn't really sit well with people looking for an edgier/serious protagonist. He also looks a lot younger and..well, we can't have a young-looking 10 year old.

At least that's my perception of things, I hope I'm wrong.

Youre heavily overestimating XY Ash's popularity, and I dont think every single complaint about sm ash is done in comparison to xy....just most of them

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
To be honest, there's really no way for Ash to get a majority of people praising him all because his entire journey can be a train wreck as he doesn't seem to refer to anything he learned in specific in the past. In the end, you just have to cross your fingers he doesn't become a goofball all of a sudden (but you can stop lying to yourself if he will win a main league any time). He may have succeeded REALLY well in this first major battle, but I can guarantee you the next one he has will not go as smoothly and he may even not show good strategies for people to praise.

It doesn't help either that Ash doesn't directly mention anything and these writers are capable of outright forgetting to use continuity.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
It doesn't help either that Ash doesn't directly mention anything and these writers are capable of outright forgetting to use continuity.

So far, I would say SM hasn't done too badly in the continuity department. Ash mentioned that he has Tauros (and that he is used to being trampled by them) in SM01. It doesn't appear he has forgotten Pokémon he has encountered before, seeing as he doesn't ask Rotomdex for information on them. Whenever he encounters an Alola form, he points out that it looks different from its non-Alola counterpart (proof that he hasn't forgotten what Rattata, Raticate, or Persian look like).

DS0308

<--- Actually me

At least that's my perception of things, I hope I'm wrong. It feels like people are deliberately ignoring/undermining whatever good he does.

Depends on the perception of "basic" strategies because I could argue that the handful he's shown in SM are in that boat. I don't think I've seen any particular elaborate Ash strategies in any series off the top of my head but he's more shown good quick thinking.

-----

It does seem like the reason I felt weird about the episode last night was because of the video I watched, got to see the battle in full this time and was more satisfied. The battle didn't seem to drag on as much as I thought it did initially, and the part that I missed during Rowlet vs Crabrawler was actually the most interesting part of the battle, felt sharper and quicker. Seemed more like the final minute or so of each match-up went quicker than the rest.

Still can't help feel like there was just something missing from this battle, it just didn't feel like a Grand Trial. Lacked a bit of intensity for me I suppose. I think someone brought this up earlier and put it down to the overuse of humour which is maybe how I feel? I'm really not sure. Getting the same feels as I did with the Assassin's Creed movie except I thought that was kinda *** lol.

Pikachu getting punched around by Hariyama's Arm Thrust falls into the endless floating logs category for anime physics. How can he possibly get hit horizontally towards Ash and then curve back to Hariyama? :p

-----

On the post above, Rotom did start talking about Hariyama even though Ash has seen it before. Granted Ash didn't ask him, although I don't think they mentioned the thing about lifting trucks of whatever weight they were otherwise then I'd have to start asking questions (but it wouldn't surprise me).

Last edited:

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
So far, I would say SM hasn't done too badly in the continuity department. Ash mentioned that he has Tauros (and that he is used to being trampled by them) in SM01. It doesn't appear he has forgotten Pokémon he has encountered before, seeing as he doesn't ask Rotomdex for information on them. Whenever he encounters an Alola form, he points out that it looks different from its non-Alola counterpart (proof that he hasn't forgotten what Rattata, Raticate, or Persian look like).

That's subjective. After all, Ash is a Gen I protagonist (with an obscene duration across all gens). It would be weird if he didn't know his Kanto roots, and the writers are surely trying to exploit his birthplace.

snorlax512

Hala got wrecked by Breakneck Blitz lol
I think Rowlet is going to fully evolve. They are pushing the "stealthy ninja" theme which works perfectly with Decidueye.

AnimePsyclone

Mew... Mew... Mew...
That's subjective. After all, Ash is a Gen I protagonist (with an obscene duration across all gens). It would be weird if he didn't know his Kanto roots, and the writers are surely trying to exploit his birthplace.

... Ash has seen every Alolan Pokemon’s normal form in a non-Kanto area.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!

That Ash is from Kanto is irrelevant. Ash has been known for whipping out his Pokédex to scan Pokémon with which he should have already been familiar, or for not seeming to recognize Pokémon he has seen before. My point was that SM Ash has acknowledged Pokémon with which he is familiar, and he hasn't asked Rotomdex to scan Pokémon he has seen before (such as Hariyama or Stoutland). I consider that subtle continuity; it's acknowledgement, however little, that Ash has seen these Pokémon before.

SkittleBox

Fanfiction writer
Yay, finally got time to watch this after a hectic day of semester testing.

I think we can all agree that the Grand Trial battle was f*cking awesome. I know I griped about this in the past before, but seeing all the new episodes we have lined up, I'm actually okay with Ash winning. Ash's skill with the battle was even better than some battles of XY(Z), so nobody has the right to say that his redesign makes him a stupid Trainer anymore. The Z-Move animations were glorious and fluid, something that I'm really liking in the S/M anime.

I also liked Rowlet's little development. It knows when it shouldn't be asleep, but it has its limits and goes back to sleep after. Rowlet is really getting some battling experience and it's actually quite good at battles. And Team Rocket didn't appear, so bonus points. And Tapu Koko's gotten quite attached to Ash by giving him Electrium Z, so I guess we can look forward to a rematch with Tapu Koko soon.

All in all, I liked this episode, this gets a generous 8.7/10 from me.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
Ash got a sweep in his first battle during a slice of life series that clearly doesn't give priority to Pokemon battle development. I'm worried.

Mr. Guy

Banned
And he's first and foremost a Gen I protagonist. Of course he has no need to ask a loud robot dex for info he knows. If he did ask about non-Alolan forms, we would have a problem.

Plus Rotom Dex has the excuse of collecting information for itself and not just for Ash.

It works out. RotomDex gives Ash information about Pokemon and regional variants he hasn't seen before, and Rotom Dex gets information about older Pokemon it (and the target audience) hasn't seen before for itself.

Last edited:

XXD17

Draco rex
The only thing I didn't really like about this episode was their music choice...why didn;t they remix the kahuna battle theme like they did with the totem battle? Instead they played the Sinnoh gym leader theme...I mean DP remakes confirmed I guess...

Rohanator

Just in case there's anyone who actually believes the Sinnoh soundtrack means something, it doesn't. It's just a track from movie 17 (Diancie), any soundtrack that was available for XY can be used in SM as well. The track was also heard in XY, but only once (Hawlucha beating Mega Absol), the reason it was used so rarely is because the version used in the movie only fits very specific scenes, namely ones that are meant to be short, like the Absol KO or the quick start of Pikachu VS Hariyama before the episode hit the commercial break (in the movie it played in the introduction, where we just see a glimpse of Diantha VS Wikstrom, so yeah it just kinda fades out). They do not have a full length version of the song that they could use for proper hype moments included in the SM soundtrack. If we ever do end up hearing a proper version, then you can speculate about DP remakes lol.

And when I say available I don't mean they literally can't use older music, they just clearly aren't going to, starting from BW they've had this trend of only using music from a specific pool (movie music that wasn't used in the previous series yet, in XY's case remixed versions of BW tracks, and in SM's case straight up XY tracks) probably for the sake of convenience. It'd obviously take more time to choose from 20 years' worth of music than just 3 or so. Though it could also be so that each series would have a stronger sense of identity, which would align with the lesser continuity in the story itself (which also started in BW so yeah).

Last edited:

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
I'm more impressed about Ash making good pokemon food (or any good food in general) than with the battle.

DS0308

<--- Actually me
I'm more impressed about Ash making good pokemon food (or any good food in general) than with the battle.

Didn't he just pour it out of a box?

That's like saying someone cooked well when they ordered pizza from Domino's lol.

Janovy

Banned
Just in case there's anyone who actually believes the Sinnoh soundtrack means something, it doesn't. It's just a track from movie 17 (Diancie), any soundtrack that was available for XY can be used in SM as well. The track was also heard in XY, but only once (Hawlucha beating Mega Absol), the reason it was used so rarely is because the version used in the movie only fits very specific scenes, namely ones that are meant to be short, like the Absol KO or the quick start of Pikachu VS Hariyama before the episode hit the commercial break (in the movie it played in the introduction, where we just see a glimpse of Diantha VS Wikstrom, so yeah it just kinda fades out). They do not have a full length version of the song that they could use for proper hype moments included in the SM soundtrack. If we ever do end up hearing a proper version, then you can speculate about DP remakes lol.
[IMG139]http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/vidyavidya/images/2/2d/Nofun_robot.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110513151242[/IMG139]

I doubt people are seriously taking this as a hint towards DP remakes. If there is a hint for the remakes, it will come from the games, not the anime.

And besides, where's the harm in speculating?