• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Will the Z-Move Work?! Challenging the Grand Trial!! (953)

Soniman

Break the Limit
Electrinium Z renders Sophocles as a Trial Captain moot, combine that with the fact there's no Lima it really is becoming more blatant to me that Trial Captains have been phased out and it's just Totem Pokemon and Kahuna's for the time being.

As for the battle, not a whole lot of strategy going on but a clean sweep, plus a Rowlett victory and some nice z move animation makes it a solid first.

But really? Pikachu is only a bit winded after a belly drum'd Z move but instantly KO's with his Z move? Kinda fishy there

Janovy

Banned
But really? Pikachu is only a bit winded after a belly drum'd Z move but instantly KO's with his Z move? Kinda fishy there
Well, as you know, Belly Drum takes half of your HP.

Mr. Guy

Banned
Fightinium-Z would be useless to Ash because right now, he has no Pokemon that know Fighting-type moves.

It wasn't a troll move, it was Tapu Koko giving Ash a Z-Crystal he can actually use.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Well, as you know, Belly Drum takes half of your HP.

True, but Pikachu being slightly winded is cause for concern, considering the other effect.

phanpycross

God-king
As for the battle, not a whole lot of strategy going on but a clean sweep, plus a Rowlett victory and some nice z move animation makes it a solid first.
Really? The Smokescreen from Bubble-beam and Pikachu opening up Hariyama by attacking it's feet where both vital to winning. Heck, the last one was even a nice throwback to AG.

Last edited:

Janovy

Banned
True, but Pikachu being slightly winded is cause for concern, considering the other effect.
Fair enough but that doesn't really address the complaint of Pikachu barely being affected by a hit from that
Given how Pikachu dodged MOST of the attack, I'm going to assume that Pikachu wasn't hit with the move's full power and thus didn't lose that much damage.

Had Pikachu been directly hit, I think it would have been a one-hit KO.

On the other hand, Ash aiming for Hariyama's legs caused it to lose its balance, allowing Pikachu's Breakneck Blitz to be a direct hit.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
And people thought that Ash was going to lose, SMH. He swept Hala.

Soniman

Break the Limit
Really now? The Smokescreen from Bubble-beam and Pikachu opening up Hariyama by attacking it's feet where both vital to winning.

There was some, it's adequate for a first "major" match, just me hoping things get more intense as the saga progresses

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Rowlet gets its win! Pikachu's Z-move finishing Haryama! Ash sweeping Hala! What more can I ask from an episode? 20/10, and I'm serious.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Rowlet gets its win! Pikachu's Z-move finishing Haryama! Ash sweeping Hala! What more can I ask from an episode? 20/10, and I'm serious.

How about not explaining when Ash learnt the Z-move >.< considering it...you know...won the match.

Kaye Cruiser

How about not explaining when Ash learnt the Z-move >.< considering it...you know...won the match.

It DID explain. Kukui was about to teach Ash the dance until Ash stopped him and told him that he already researched it and practiced it on his own before the day of the Grand Trial. Rotomdex and Pikachu then confirm the same, impressing Kukui.

Is it possible they didn't reset Pikachu this gen? Looks like Pikachu is at the same level as it was in Kalos League, beating two pseudos in a battle.

Mokuroh is something else. Didn't expected it to get a win here and it did.

Janovy

Banned
It DID explain. Kukui was about to teach Ash the dance until Ash stopped him and told him that he already researched it and practiced it on his own before the day of the Grand Trial. Rotomdex and Pikachu then confirm the same, impressing Kukui.
While I love that Ash did training by himself, I still wish we saw it on-screen.

Well, at least they acknowledged it.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll

Well, whatever, but the Z-move worked and that's what all matters.

I did express a lot of negative opinions about the series before it started, and now I admit that I was wrong. Though I don't like Ash's character design and attitude in this series, his battle competence has amazed me. And his companions/classmates has been very likeable.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!

Ooh :eek: I need to Japanese better

Glad to see he's taking them seriously. Kiawe will be impressed.

mega snorlax

Whoa whoa whoa, hold the phone. Did the writers decide not to reset Pika for once? And that callback to that Brawly battle back in AG was brilliant. Hopefully we get to see counter shield used again.

DS0308

<--- Actually me
I'm going to put my uneasiness that I had with this battle down to watching a garbage video (because it cut out how Rowlet beat Crabrawler for no reason yet kept some ads). Still it felt oddly slow even considering that, I guess? It was only two match ups because bloody Rowlet fell to sleep which was... random. Just like Rowlet's personality basically. Although that's more derpy.

So no rematch like seemingly everyone thought/wanted to happen, where does that leave us?

Tapu Koko really wants Ash to use Gigavolt Havoc, and to get rid of Sophocles' claim to fame from the games... You poor soul.

Crabrawler is way smaller than I imagined lol. While I can understand the idea of Hala boosting Hariyama's Attack before he launches All-Out Pummeling why couldn't he just do that at the start? The amount of hits Pikachu took before then was quite hefty, would've sent him to the next dimension had he done it.

Would appreciate Rotomdex getting half the lines it does.

I don't want to really rate it until I get a better viewing of it, feels weird right now.