• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Will the Z-Move Work?! Challenging the Grand Trial!! (953)

Janovy

Banned
I could see the other Tapus checking out Ash just to see why Tapu Koko is so interested with him.
And then the other Tapus are like 'meh, this kid's overrated'.

Rohanator

To be fair Hariyama did get kneecapped by an Iron Tail from Pikachu.
Yeah that was the point of the Iron Tail, to momentarily prevent it from dodging.

It's kinda like that time in XY where Spritzee KO'd Fletchinder with a Moonblast despite all of Fletchinder's speed boosts, everything was clearly meant to happen really fast but the way we were shown things it looked like both should've been able to move out of the way (I guess with Z moves you can't really help it cause there's the whole charging phaze).

Janovy

Banned
How exactly could Hariyama dodge a moving Pikachu using Quick Attack to circle around it? lol

Hariyama is a LOT bigger than Pikachu and a lot slower. Ash used that to his advantage and incapacitated Hariyama, disabling it long enough for Ash's Z-move to make direct contact.

Props to Ash's brilliant skills in this episode. In terms of competence, it's like he came straight out of XY.

Soniman

Break the Limit
i could see these kinds of strategies in any post kanto saga honestly, i think brilliant is a exaggeration for sure, its just kinda basic first gym type strategy, niyhing particularly complicated. Obviously better then nithing at least

Last edited:

Janovy

Banned
i could see these kinds of strategies in any post kanto saga honestly, i think brilliant is a exaggeration for sure, its just kinda basic first gym type strategy, niyhing particularly complicated. Obviously better then nithing at least
I thought it was clever of him. SM Ash is a gift that keeps on giving. :)

Navin

MALDREAD
I'm still waiting for entry hazards, weather, status conditions, and abilities to re-factor in battles once again, like in DP. Combine that with Mega Evolution + Z Moves.

It probably won't be happening anytime soon, but hopefully later so S&M battles just don't end up always concluding with X KO'ing Y with a Z-Move (or even if that is the case, the battles are complex and interesting leading up to that point).

Genaller

Silver Soul
I'm still waiting for entry hazards, weather, status conditions, and abilities to re-factor in battles once again, like in DP. Combine that with Megoa Evolution + Z Moves.

Well Ash vs Alain basically had all of that excluding entry hazards. Matter of fact, I can't remember if entry hazards were ever used after Ash vs Paul SL. I will admit that I would fanboy like crazy over a battle that had all of EH+W+SC+A+ME+Z-moves in it. Maybe Alola League Ash vs Kiawe/Gladion/Anime Original Character will give us such a battle or maybe... just maybe... Ash vs Kukui Champion Battle (A man can dream can't he:)).

Well Ash vs Alain basically had all of that excluding entry hazards. Matter of fact, I can't remember if entry hazards were ever used after Ash vs Paul SL. I will admit that I would fanboy like crazy over a battle that had all of EH+W+SC+A+ME+Z-moves in it. Maybe Alola League Ash vs Kiawe/Gladion/Anime Original Character will give us such a battle or maybe... just maybe... Ash vs Kukui Champion Battle (A man can dream can't he:)).

I really enjoy the idea of Kiawe becoming Ash's main rival. He seems to have the perfect trainer material to be a friend to Ash, yet be a real challenge when it comes to battling.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
An Ash that actually researches moves before using them? What kind of sorcery is this?

Janovy

Banned
It happens when it's glaringly suspicious that there were no more people around in the battlefield to explain the moves.
But Kukui was going to explain the Z-move to Ash. Ash beat him to it.

diakyu

Ash got a sweep in his first battle during a slice of life series that clearly doesn't give priority to Pokemon battle development. I'm worried.
Late to the reply here, but did you not see the last two episodes? Ash only does extremely well when using Pikachu, which makes sense. Rowlet has been through the wringer so far.

DatsRight

I'm still waiting for entry hazards, weather, status conditions, and abilities to re-factor in battles once again, like in DP. Combine that with Mega Evolution + Z Moves.

It probably won't be happening anytime soon, but hopefully later so S&M battles just don't end up always concluding with X KO'ing Y with a Z-Move (or even if that is the case, the battles are complex and interesting leading up to that point).

I did like this battle at least shown it's possible to avoid or soften a Z-Move, in other words, it can fail (though we knew that from the start, it barely fazed Tapu Koko). Ash even emphasised he had to time and do it right. Hopefully this won't become a standard deus ex machina.

DotKU

Champion
I thought this was a good first serious battle, though as much as a big deal it should feel fighting 1 of the 4 kahuna, this battle did not really leave that impression imo. But in the end, I'm content with what we got. Though, it felt a little weird seeing only the Prof and Ash for most of this, compared to the usual companion crowd from past series. Rowlet just keeps on getting better, and the Z-moves look amazing every time.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Wow! Can we call this a 2-0 sweep for Ash!!!! Rowlet just fell asleep not fainted!

Also! VS screen! So happy to see one this Generation and like its new design. Without spoiling anything else, can you guys tell me, now that the first one has shown up, do they show up more frequently in other battles, or are they reserved for the grand trials (aka only 4 appearances all gen which would suck)? I kinda feel like one should have already shown up in the butler battle if they were being used the same way as Gen VI....