• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Will they continuously switch protagonists from now on?

bmw9413

I wonder if they will keep Liko and Roy as long as they kept Ash or will they replace each protagonist whenever new gen games come out (Like Digimon and Yugioh)....

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
Honestly I hope they rotate protagonist, because I don't want them too become stale like Ash did.
No offense to Ash fans

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
I just hope they don't bring Ash back as the lead. I'm no Ash hater; I say this because his story had a great ending, open-ended though it was; I'd rather it not be tarnished and dragged out and run into the ground like another famous anime hero's was (Son Goku, in case anyone asks).

AJ97

I just hope they don't bring Ash back as the lead. I'm no Ash hater; I say this because his story had a great ending, open-ended though it was; I'd rather it not be tarnished and dragged out and run into the ground like another famous anime hero's was (Son Goku, in case anyone asks).
Goku's character was "tarnished, dragged out and run to the ground"?... Hardly..
Outside of his personality change, we see immense growth and progress in his character from a strength perspective which is more or less what Dragon Ball has always been about.
This would be like saying whole of Dragon Ball Super was awful, when it clearly wasn't.

On the other hand, the character who was actually tarnished or run to the ground was Gohan. Guy went from being the Saiyan with the greatest Latent ability, to a School Teacher.

Last edited:

Queen Cynthia

Dignified Queen of Sinnoh
The odds are this could happen!
From what we've learned so far, the classical gym quests are history, so I guess the main protagonists will become more interchangeable. We might only get to see one part of their lives (be it shorter or longer) as opposed to Ash whom we've accompanied during his complete adventure, his lifetime quest so to speak.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
Outside of his personality change, we see immense growth and progress in his character from a strength perspective which is more or less what Dragon Ball has always been about.
Yeah when he returned home in the Buu Saga it was revealed that he went through intense training in the Otherworld and learned how to tap into both SSJ2 and SSJ3 during the past seven years post Cell Saga.
This would be like saying whole of Dragon Ball Super was awful, when it clearly wasn't.
The problem with Super was the lack of on screen training being shown for characters that got new powerups/transformations. The ToP is a perfect example of this.
On the other hand, the character who was actually tarnished or run to the ground was Gohan. Guy went from being the Saiyan with the greatest Latent ability, to a School Teacher.
He was at his worst in GT,he always struggled to balance both being a fighter and a school teacher,the recent movie may have fixed this problem.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Goku's character was "tarnished, dragged out and run to the ground"?... Hardly..

In super it really felt like Goku got flanderized and his dumbass factor got increased tenfold. Like, he was already stupid (I have issues with the latter half of Z relying on everyone consistently making horrible decisions), but Super pushed it way too far. It felt like they were going to deconstruct it at the start of the ToP with characters acknowledging Goku's stupidity is legitimately a danger to reality, but that went absolutely nowhere.

As for Gohan.....yeah I'm mixed on him, I like that he's happy and that does feel in character, but it feels like his potential was wasted.

Pokemon Power

We'll just have to see, but I'd be fine either way with one condition. That they always make sure to have one of the characters with each new group own a Pikachu, since it is the most well-known Pokemon species out there.

AJ97

The problem with Super was the lack of on screen training being shown for characters that got new powerups/transformations. The ToP is a perfect example of this.
Are you talking about Goku & Vegeta or the rest of the cast? In case of the former, I disagree as they were consistently shown to be training with Whis in Super who is the strongest fighter in the Universe and leagues ahead of every character of the Tournament of Power. I don't really see much of an issue with their power scaling in Super.

However, for the rest of the cast, especially Android 17 and Gohan, I definitely agree.
In super it really felt like Goku got flanderized and his dumbass factor got increased tenfold. Like, he was already stupid (I have issues with the latter half of Z relying on everyone consistently making horrible decisions), but Super pushed it way too far. It felt like they were going to deconstruct it at the start of the ToP with characters acknowledging Goku's stupidity is legitimately a danger to reality, but that went absolutely nowhere.
I absolutely agree. The personality change in Super didn't really make sense at all. While Goku was never really the brightest and was very naive, he was never Super level stupid. Maybe all that fighting caused Brain damage.
That said, the progress in the show has always been about Strength (Which takes precedence over everything in the DB Universe). In terms of that, I don't think they necessarily did a bad job (Anime only). The new chapters in the manga and the latest movie have absolutely messed up scaling.
As for Gohan.....yeah I'm mixed on him, I like that he's happy and that does feel in character, but it feels like his potential was wasted.
I'm all for Gohan not being a crazy battle maniac like his father. However, he's always been someone who comes through when it actually matters. Especially after his pitiful performance against Frieza, I think it was a missed opportunity to not have him train with Whis considering he possesses far more talent than both Goku and Vegeta.

Morax

King of heroes

Idk his stupidity never bothered me tbh.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
Are you talking about Goku & Vegeta or the rest of the cast? In case of the former, I disagree as they were consistently shown to be training with Whis in Super who is the strongest fighter in the Universe and leagues ahead of every character of the Tournament of Power.
I'm saying both because yeah it was shown that Goku & Vegeta trained whether it be with Whis or the Time Chamber but when it pertains to the Tournament of Power I thought there were instances where they both gained new power that didn't feel truly earned like back in Z. Then there's the other characters like Frieza and Android 17 that got huge powerups without much explanation behind it.
I don't really see much of an issue with their power scaling in Super.
You don't see a problem with how Future Trunks does better against Fused Zamasu than Vegito Blue? Or Tien struggling against Master Roshi even though he surpassed him a long time ago. Then there's the U6 Saiyans.

AJ97

I'm saying both because yeah it was shown that Goku & Vegeta trained whether it be with Whis or the Time Chamber but when it pertains to the Tournament of Power I thought there were instances where they both gained new power that didn't feel truly earned like back in Z. Then there's the other characters like Frieza and Android 17 that got huge powerups without much explanation behind it.
I would argue Goku's and Vegeta's training in Super is far more intense than anything they did back in Z. Any training with Whis should exponentially be >>> than whatever training they did before.
Plus, Saiyans always keep getting stronger the more and more they get beaten up. This has always been a recurring theme within the show. Goku's and Vegeta's max power (SSBE and Goku's SSJB + KK*20) growth did make sense.

As for Ultra Instinct (Which was Goku's main power boost), this was something both Goku and Vegeta have been training to achieve from the first day they started training with Whis. Wouldn't really call this a bs power boost.

As for Freiza, the show already explained that he was a prodigy with immense potential that far surpasses that of Goku's and Vegeta's. His only flaw is that he doesn't train. This again is not a new concept within the franchise. Goku possessing more talent than Vegeta and being able to advance faster was always emphasized. Same goes for Gohan, Goten/Trunks, Majin Buu etc.

You don't see a problem with how Future Trunks does better against Fused Zamasu than Vegito Blue? Or Tien struggling against Master Roshi even though he surpassed him a long time ago. Then there's the U6 Saiyans.
1) Trunks did not do better than Future Vegito. His powerup was basically equivalent to a Spirit Bomb.
Vegito Blue easily held an advantage over fused Zamasu and only lost because the fusion ran out. The only time where it seemed like he was supposedly hurt was when he was pretending to bait Zamasu with an attack.

2) Tien was fighting Roshi powered by the other fighter's witchcraft.

3) As for U6 Saiyans, remember that their Base level of strength is significantly stronger than Z Goku and Z Vegeta. Base Caba was strong enough to hold his own against Base Vegeta when they fought during the U6 tournament. As for why their base strength is strong, the question is why not?

The Universe is big, the previous series was focused only within a fraction of U7. Using Goku's and Vegeta's growth to benchmark every fighter across the Universe doesn't make sense. Kale had the Legendary Super Saiyan Transformation and was the equivalent of Broly (Hence, making her stronger). As for Kefla, remember how strong potara fusions are? A completely exhausted and battered up SSJB Goku was capable of keeping up with SSJ Kefla which is absurd of a feat in itself. Do you rememeber how Base Vegito absolutely curb stomped Buuhan?

Super Buu was >>> SSJ3 Goku and Ultimate Gohan was >>>>> Super Buu. Yet Base Vegito was more than capable of toying with Buuhan.

I think your biggest issues have to do with Nostalgia and benchmarking strength of characters to the older series. We barely see the entirety of Universe 7 in DBZ and even the entire Universe represents a spall fraction of the entire Multiverse. It's unfair to use Goku's and Vegeta's growth as definite multipliers for every character across the Multiverse.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
As for Freiza, the show already explained that he was a prodigy with immense potential that far surpasses that of Goku's and Vegeta's. His only flaw is that he doesn't train.
He apparently trained prior to facing Goku/Vegeta but the question was what kind of training did he go through.
furiza_traning.jpg
17 got a massive power increase from the last time you seen him help Goku gather energy for the Spirit Bomb vs Kid Buu to when you see him again in Super where he's shown fighting off poachers on an island.
Goku possessing more talent than Vegeta and being able to advance faster was always emphasized.
More like Goku had access to better resources like King Kai/Gravity Room/Other World Training and then just training smarter by not overdoing it and giving the body some rest. Vegeta was natrually stronger than Goku at the beginning,but Goku had a headstart due to the resources he had around him.
1) Trunks did not do better than Future Vegito. His powerup was basically equivalent to a Spirit Bomb.
Vegito Blue easily held an advantage over fused Zamasu and only lost because the fusion ran out. The only time where it seemed like he was supposedly hurt was when he was pretending to bait Zamasu with an attack.
If a Spirit Bomb was all that it took to do damage to Zamasu then Goku should've just did it from the start instead of fusing but still even with a Spirit Bomb coming from Future Trunks he should still be nowhere near Vegito Blue or anything he did to Zamasu.
2) Tien was fighting Roshi powered by the other fighter's witchcraft.
Roshi hasn't done anything in Z except read dirty magazines and watch women aerobics on television,meanwhile Tien went to meet with Mr.Popo/Kami at the Lookout and then King Kai in Other World. After that he had some impressive feats for being an earthling.

• Held down Semi-Perfect Cell with Neo-Tri Beam
  • Destroyed Buutenks's attack with his Tri-Beam
  • Forced Future Trunks to go Super Saiyan in the Bojack movie
3) As for U6 Saiyans, remember that their Base level of strength is significantly stronger than Z Goku and Z Vegeta. Base Caba was strong enough to hold his own against Base Vegeta when they fought during the U6 tournament. As for why their base strength is strong, the question is why not?
But was Base Vegeta using God Ki while fighting Cabba? If I remember correctly Base Copy Vegeta defeated SSJ3 Gotenks.

Nikita Dracovish

THE NUMBERS, MASON!
im just surprised they havent done it sooner. chronicles was a thing after all, and pokespe fans cant shut up about how the manga rotates protags and is thus sooo much better

lol?