• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Will they continuously switch protagonists from now on?

yewforest

I wonder if they will keep Liko and Roy as long as they kept Ash or will they replace each protagonist whenever new gen games come out (Like Digimon and Yugioh)....
Well, I think a real good indicator is the fact that Liko's Ace is Sprigatito and Roy's Ace Fuecoco.

It'd be one thing if their aces were older popular Pokemon, but in this case them having the Paldean starters kinda ties them down to Generation 9. I DO think however that the mainstays are gonna be Professor Friede, Captain Pikachu, and the rest of his crew.

I looked at it like this: they gave them the newer Pokemon to help promote Gen 9 by giving them more focus by being attached to the protagonists. It wouldn't make sense for them to stick around too long in the next gen since they'd be relatively old news, and since they're their starters, the protags would change too given how closely tied trainers tend to be to their first pokemon (like Ash and Pikachu).

BlueFlameCharizard

The Original Shiny Pokemon
I'd think it would be better if new regions started with new Protagonists instead of relying on one character to carry the show. As long as they can continue to make the new characters unique and not just a cookie cutter cut out of an existing character. Old characters can still appear in the shows too.

This should have been the standard from the start, instead of having Ash ditch all his pokemon except for Pikachu so he can get a near entirely new cast of pokemon that all, or at least mostly originate from the new regions to showcase the new cool pokes. I mean, all the games have their own protagonists in them, so they already have characters to choose from, they just need to create their personalities and tastes.

Though, like someone mentioned early in this topic. It will probably come down to how well these new protagonists are perceived if they consider it or not.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
It probably depends on how Liko and Roy do as protagonists. If they don't become as popular as Satoshi, the anime staff will probably replace them eventually in the hopes that the next protagonist would be better received.

Morax

King of heroes
It probably depends on how Liko and Roy do as protagonists. If they don't become as popular as Satoshi, the anime staff will probably replace them eventually in the hopes that the next protagonist would be better received.
I don't think they'll ever be as 'popular' as Ash, no matter how well written they are. Let it be known that popularity != Quality.

But no matter how much you like a certain character, they need to be replaced when they have served their purpose. Liko has no reason to stay after "le mysterious pendant" is resolved.

Last edited:

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I don't think they'll ever be as 'popular' as Ash, no matter how well written they are. Let it be known that popularity != Quality.

But no matter how much you like a certain character, they need to be replaced when they have served their purpose. Liko has no reason to stay after the mystery with the pendant is resolved.
Yeah, when you keep artificially extending a story it's bound to become stagnant at best or a complete soulless mess at worst. (not to say long stories can't be good, but there's an obvious difference between a story being necessarily long and artificially extended)

iraqmaster

By popular do you mean keeping them longer than anticipated?

santiagus

I watched Pokemon anime for 20 freaking years
As I said before stretching Ash Journey has done more harm than good.

Also with the Paldean starters being his main I don't see them being arround Gen X

Antiyonder

Overlord
1. I'm still curious. Whenever soemthing like Chronicles or Origins was done, did they have any top notch creators on them or people who are usually just okay?

I ask cause I feel those could have been done in part to see if going outside the usual formula was doable for success and their performance wasn't satisfactory.

Which ironically sticking to the formula arguably no longer paid off and that's why Ash getting retired is even a thing now.

2. I'd say if the only two choices are replace a cast each Gen or keep the cast but operate on Simpsons Time, then the former, but if possible continue on with time passage and growth.

Antiyonder

Overlord
I think now that they managed to replace Ash after decades, they finally broke the mold, and this will certainly make it easier for them to replace protagonists again in the future.

Well the new season has to do well in order to prove that a new lead will not be a turn off.

Probably allowing for more creative freedom as well as consistency within. Like Dazzling the Nimbasa Gym. Even without comparing it to the other seasons, it still fails cause Ash didn't pull that kind of stunt in his previous Unova Gym Battles.

Plus even downplaying his experience there were signs of him being around the block more than once. Especially when his Charizard is brought back.

Heck going beyond again it in comparison to other seasons, there is the clumsy reintegration of older Pokémon as they start to factor in B2 and W2. In the game that was the result of the transport system malfunctioning and slowly resulting in other Pokémon slowly entering the region over several years.

In the anime it is all in the same year or just a "few months", it is pretty jarring since the early bit made note of how rare Non-Unova Mon were to where Ash having a Pikachu was a big deal, plus Jessie and James having to leave their Mon in Kanto to keep a low profile.

Litleonid

Personally, I think because Liko and Roy are so heavily tied to Paldea's starters they might not make it to Gen X and we'll start to see new protagonists per generation. I think it would be interesting to see, and to see them make comebacks if the anime stops following their adventures.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
Liko and Roy have Gen 9 starters as their aces. I think that all but hints that the protagonist will be replaced every generation, allowing the writers to plan shorter, 3 year long sagas that are easier to develop now that they don't have to rely on marketing Ash anymore.